Onkyo vs Denon Vs Pioneer - 7.2 & atmos

ankitj

Hi,

I am looking to purchase new AVR (7.2 & atmos).
Models considered:
1. Denon x1200 (@42k)
2. Onkyo 545 (@42K)
3.Pioneer VSX 930 (wasn't able to get the price)
4. Onkyo 646 (wasn't able to get the price)

Which one would be the best choice out of them.

Pioneer 930 & Onkyo 646 are having advantage of 2 HDMI outputs & pioneer also upscales videos to 4K but doesn't support 4 Ohm speakers. Both these receivers may be significantly expensive than Denon 1200 & Onkyo 545. In terms of quality, future proofing & service availability, which one would be the best choice.

Thanks

Also consider AVR's with DTS X support (or) that allows upgrade to DTS X.
Pioneer VSX 930 though offer's enough features, doesn't offer upgrade to DTS X..

Onkyo 545 seems very compelling, They have also brought the upfiring Atmos speakers. Saw in this month's Whathifi Mag india edition.

Just wanted to know about the hardware reliability of onkyo products. We see more complaints on their hardware reliabilty online. Onkyo users comment pls.

I have the denon avr x1200w it has very large volume of sales. It supports atmos and dts x

GIS, how long have you been using the X1200W? Though I am going to audition the 2200 sometimes this week, I would love you hear your personal opinion on the AVR.

Thanks

Even Im looking for 7.2 receiver since my earlier Denon has broke down because of update. I have been comparing Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer. I like the Pioneer VSX 930 which retails for Rs.48000 to Rs.59000/- (depending on various buys). It has 2 hdmi outputs and 2 subwoofer preouts. Onkyo too is good but there is a less punch according to the reviews I have gone thru the net. Yamaha on the other hand has a powerful punch and awesome treble range but it has only one hdmi output. Denon and Pioneer....two choices now....either Denon 2200 or Pioneer vsx930...... I wud recommend you to study the reviews on the net from various international sites and decide for yourself and also give feedback for the same on this forum.

Also one more thing....does this Atmos feature will really make a big impact since there are hardly any material as of now......

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I replaced my earlier Onkyo receiver for Onkyo 646 for exchange price of 55000/-. Yesterday there was a 1 day offer at onkyo site for THX certified NR 1009 receiver for 80000/-

NR 646 is both atoms and DTR X ready. once dts rolls out the firmware, the receiver should be available for update and you are good to go. But, the room calibration software of Onkyo is very bad ever since they moved out from Audyessey.

Factor these as well if you need.

And Yes - more and more movies are released in Atmos. You should hear Mad max, San andreas to believe it..

Again, they have taken out 2 conventional channels out and placed it for over head effects..
Never the less, like they say- move with the crowd where possible and I think, the future would be Atmos, X and Auro (???)

Denon x 1200w supports Dolby atmos(built in) and Dts X (which will be updated via free firmware upgrade).

Please consider the good speakers before you make the choice of AVR .
It is better to get a good speaker package first and based on that buy the AVR considering the compatibility.
For this you need to be patience and take some audition with different speakers and the AVR you mentioned. Select the best based on your hearing taste and budget.

Hi,

I replaced my earlier Onkyo receiver for Onkyo 646 for exchange price of 55000/-. Yesterday there was a 1 day offer at onkyo site for THX certified NR 1009 receiver for 80000/-

NR 646 is both atoms and DTR X ready. once dts rolls out the firmware, the receiver should be available for update and you are good to go. But, the room calibration software of Onkyo is very bad ever since they moved out from Audyessey.

Factor these as well if you need.

Cheers

Hi buddy....please let us know how the Onkyo 646 is...regarding sound...for movies and music.....the highs and the lows specially. Thanks

If you are looking for 5.1.2, then denon 1200 should suffice. However if you are looking for 7.1.4, then you should look for some higher version like 4200!

Even if you ignore absence of audyssey in pioneer, what about DTS X feature missing, which is seeming to edge over atmos from initial reviews?

Denon seems like a good option. Its got only two things missing - 2 hdmi out n 4k upscale. Rest, it's pretty good value for money.

If you are looking for 5.1.2, then denon 1200 should suffice. However if you are looking for 7.1.4, then you should look for some higher version like 4200!

The one thing that is disappointing with 2200 and 3200 is the number of speaker posts. Both have only 7 speaker posts. So, you are right. We cannot have over 5.2.2 with anything less than 4200. The Pioneer 930, on the other hand has 9 speaker posts and you can go for 7.2.2 for the same price as the 2200.

Last edited:
Even if you ignore absence of audyssey in pioneer, what about DTS X feature missing, which is seeming to edge over atmos from initial reviews?

Pioneer's MCACC seems to be far ahead of Audyssey, so that is not an issue.

Yes, the lack of DTS:X is a worry, and if Pioneer offers that as a download, the Pioneer 930 is faaar ahead of 2200. It even has better specs than the 3200 excepting in power. The Class D amplification of Pioneer is a class act, if I may say so.

Cheers

i have ordered the Pioneer 930 through a rather unconventional route. Will receive it tomorrow or the day after. Will let you know after i have set it up.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back