Online UPS

ishmeet73

The electrical input to my music system, is separate connection from my meter and connected via a Ultra Isolation Transformer (5KVA) to the Distribution Box of my system. I have also added a separate Earthing Pit for the Secondary of my Ultra Isolation Transformer. The same earthing connection is used for my system also.

The components connected in my system are an Integrated Amp, Streamer and DAC. In the future I plan to add DDC to the mix.

I want to add an Online UPS to protect my streamer from sudden shutdowns due to power loss. The reason I am going for an Online UPS, they are supposed to have pure Sine Wave output and not a modified Sine Wave output. I have 2 options, I can put an individual 1KVA UPS for the Streamer or I can connect a 3 KVA UPS directly to the output of the Ultra Isolation Transformer.

My issue are, will a 3KVA UPS have enough juice to drive my system?
Second, by adding a UPS to the power input, will there be any adverse effect to sound quality?

Connect your amp to the isolation transformer and 1kva to the rest of the equipments especially the digital equipments like DAC/streamer. These equipments are usually not more than 50W each. 3kva ups will be much more expensive. Feed isolation transformer and online ups separately. There is no need to connect the ups with the former.

I have also taken one phase of our home 3 phase power supply directly to my music system and then it feeds the automatic stabiliser + isolation transformer and 1kva online separately. My amps are connected to the isolation transformer and everything else to the online ups.

Connect your amp to the isolation transformer and 1kva to the rest of the equipments especially the digital equipments like DAC/streamer. These equipments are usually not more than 50W each. 3kva ups will be much more expensive. Feed isolation transformer and online ups separately. There is no need to connect the ups with the former.

I have also taken one phase of our home 3 phase power supply directly to my music system and then it feeds the automatic stabiliser + isolation transformer and 1kva online separately. My amps are connected to the isolation transformer and everything else to the online ups.
Thank you for your suggestion….🙏🏽

Do you feel improvement due to isolation transformer. Paul McGowan is totally opposite. As per him, isolation transformer degrades sound quality. I had the plans to add one, but dropped the idea later.
Please let us know if this helps to improve as per your real life experience.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back