Open-back headphone without Amp

kjigar

Hey guys!

My first post here, and an audiophile newbie :) Need help from experienced folks in choosing a headphone with the following criteria:

- Want OpenBack audiophile headphones, as I don't like heat around ears (gets uncomfortable, used many before)
- Need to be able to use with a phone (headphones that don't need amp). I currently use Google Pixel 4a, comes with 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Highest priority: (1) Comfort (2) Sound Quality - neutral (am not into heavy bass)
- Music: Mostly classic rock/alternative/vocals/rest is across genres
- Usage: Will not be using them sitting down, walking/working inside or outside home; Maybe 1-2 hrs a day;
- Usage: Not going to listen to them at very loud volumes
- Usage: Currently using Amazon Music, planning to sign up for Apple Music due to the lossless option.
- Price: Flexible - I don't have a budget in mind, depends on if I find something right I guess... So say start with 15-50k?
- Price: Wonder If I go towards more expensive ones, is it possible to try them on? Am in Bangalore.

Can you guys help with the above please. Is it even possible to meet these requirements? :) Thanks a ton! :)

Greetings from another audiophile newbie!

Impedance and Sensitivity decide how much power is needed for the headphones.
Recently I bought HIFIMAN SUNDARA (27k) which is quite popular among entry level Planar Magnetic headphones.
It can be used comfortably with a phone directly.

But it makes a lot of difference if you use it through a portable headphone DAC. They are inexpensive and really small in size.
If u plug your headphones directly into your phone, u are using the phone's inbuilt DAC, which is very very basic even for the most expensive phones. You'll not be using your headphones to their true potential.

Since you are not going to use them sitting down, open back headphones do let lot of outside noise come in. And even if u r playing with moderate volume, it can be heard by people around your bit. Do keep these things in mind.

Thanks, will check them out I am not sure about Planar magnetic vs regular.. wish we could try before buy... One recommendation I have been given are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition, the 32 Ohms version. Seeing if there are others..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back