Oppo 93 vs DAC (under 25k) vs CDP

anm,

Yes, I just checked Stereophile April 2012 issue, SONY Playstation 1 is a Class C recommended CD player in the same league as Emotiva ERC-2, Music Hall CC15.2, NAD 565BEE and Nuforce CDP-8.

That is a bold statement. Have you heard the Oppo's as a CDP? Forget the BDP, have you heard the original DVDPs?

Cheers

I have the BDP83, as seen in my signature, so a strange question. But yes, I have heard the oppo in the CD/analog mode. I personally havent done a A/B comparisons, but there was a discussion some time back where Gobble convinced me that it isnt as good and I believed him :) as he had the BDP80 and various DAC's to compare them.

I have checked with Sajjad's oppo 93 and it's not all bad as people think of it being a universal player. The very mention of a universal bd player people tend to generalize too far and listen the gear than the music running in. I checked it along with a quads bookshelfs and it sounds very good, beats marantz entry level cdp.

May be if connected to thiels and other high gear,oppo might be a weak link but not in a budget setup of 1lakh.

Parallely I was searching the forum, i found a post by Venkatcr that to beat oppo, the stand alone DACs should be around 40-50k. I do believe in this as it comes from a man with credibility. Blasto has similar opinion too ( so Blasto can be our new mod:))

Next week we have Blasto leading the DACs comparison test, so can expect more bass level details.

BTW,ordered oppo 93 thru amazon, can post detailed report in two weeks.

I have checked with Sajjad's oppo 93 and it's not all bad as people think of it being a universal player. The very mention of a universal bd player people tend to generalize too far and listen the gear than the music running in. I checked it along with a quads bookshelfs and it sounds very good, beats marantz entry level cdp.

May be if connected to thiels and other high gear,oppo might be a weak link but not in a budget setup of 1lakh.

Oppo 93 was almost as good as my Musical hall CDP which was better than Marantz 6004. Maybe 5% less. I wonder how good 95 will be. Really VFM. Oppo 93 is better than entry level marantz CDPs for sure.

Parallely I was searching the forum, i found a post by Venkatcr that to beat oppo, the stand alone DACs should be around 40-50k. I do believe in this as it comes from a man with credibility. Blasto has similar opinion too

MF M1 was much better than Musichall CDP (when paired with MF components) and hence will beat oppo 93 by a margin. But it is a bad comparison. We are comparing $500 BDP to a $750 dedicated stereo DAC which is unfair!! It is only 33k (Mrp is 40k so in a way venkat is right).

( so Blasto can be our new mod:))

WTF?? I have a family.. And a kid.. :p

What I meant was the optical, coaxial, or USB inputs that a regular DAC has. I think CA 840C has two digital inputs and you can use the player as a regular DAC.

I wonder how a source that comes via a network is handled. This is something I have to research on.

As anm mentioned its via DLNA, I believe that even this is technically a digital input. As per some of the queries answered by oppo support it appears to go through the same dac's as it would in case of a media input (optical/usb)

I use this to pass wav/flac via pcm to the oppo and is definitely very convenient. The 93 has I think much better support in the n/w front.

I have the BDP83, as seen in my signature, so a strange question. But yes, I have heard the oppo in the CD/analog mode. I personally havent done a A/B comparisons, but there was a discussion some time back where Gobble convinced me that it isnt as good and I believed him :) as he had the BDP80 and various DAC's to compare them.

My apologies. I hardly even look at the signature. Must start being careful of what I write.

AT the same time, as you can see, there are a number of others who compare the BDP 9x series to CDP of much higher caliber. So I suppose some form of AB comparison in a good set up is critical.

Cheers

Hi Bros,
My rotel CDP (9xx) has just died and since I was completely satisfied with my old rotel CDP I was planning to buy the latest rotel cdp.
I have heard a lot of good reviews of the Oppo 95 and was strongly considering the same. Has anyone compared Oppo 95 with Rotel RCD 1520 or any other Rotel CDP? Your comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

Oppo 93 is better than entry level CDP's but its not comparable to Medium to High end CDP's or Dac's. I heard Oppo 95 is much better CDP than 93, its a VFM coz of its blu ray player. But unless you do A-B comparison its very difficult to judge. If possible better do a comparison (A-B).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back