Oppo 970HD

PbR

Just wanted to let all know that the 970HD model has a verified firmware hack (visit the avs forum) for getting 720p/1080i via component output.

EDIT: And that makes it a best -buy duo with the Philips 29PT8836!! And sets up nicely for a LCD display later....

Last edited:
Hi PbR,

I was going to buy this player but unfortunately there is no shipping to India!

How did you get your hands on it. Would appreciate if you would share how you got it down.

Thanks.

Hi Mohan,

I do not have it, but am checking out HKflix.com who are listed on the oppo site, and ship internationally.
Waiting for a shipping quote from their w/h. Even if it comes to $60, total ($209) would be less than what a denon 1930 sells for here!!

Hi Mohan,

I do not have it, but am checking out HKflix.com who are listed on the oppo site, and ship internationally.
Waiting for a shipping quote from their w/h. Even if it comes to $60, total ($209) would be less than what a denon 1930 sells for here!!

Thanks PbR! Please inform about the shipping quote. I may also consider ordering it.

Thanks.

Hi Mohan,

Here is the shipping quote from HKFlix.com:

["support" <[email protected]>To: [email protected]
I'm sorry you didn't get our previous email. EMS shipping would cost
$75.
FEDEX Priority would be $99. EMS takes 3-5 days, and FEDEX Priority
takes
5-10 days.

Both are insured and trackable.

Please let me know if you are interested.]

The duration seems interchanged, ususally EMS takes longer than Fedex.
I am yet to order, just looking at other options including a Reference Auduo Mods modded 970HD which (it seems) can be the super DVD/CD player all rolled into one! (but costs ~USD1000 at referenceaudiomods.com), as I am looking for a good CDP too. (Eastsound CD-5 is USD900 direct from HK!! delivered cost)

Cheers

Shipping of 75$ is fine, but what about customs duties and taxes? how much would it come to?
By the way, i just asked a friend who is coming from the UK to get me the OPPO DV-981HD. This model costs 179 pounds in the UK (229usd in US).
I will save on shipping :)
expecting it middle of next month.. will keep you all guys posted on the updates.

By the way, there is a website called http://www.netexpress.co.in/shop/catalog.asp?keyword=cd player&mode=electronics&page_count=1
(note it is an indian site). and it displays the oppo dvd player. i mailed them whether they ship to india and they asked me to get in touch with amazon. I wrote to Amazon and they said that they do not ship dvd players to india. Wonder who runs this senseless netexpress site.

I expect customs/tax etc to come to ~35% of invoice value- approx Rs2200. I believe that if it is for own use, there may not be any tax, perhaps others can answer.

I know that for stuff upto $100, there is no tax (got a MS-1, some cables etc on 2 shipments via EMS/US).

I expect customs/tax etc to come to ~35% of invoice value- approx Rs2200. I believe that if it is for own use, there may not be any tax, perhaps others can answer.

I know that for stuff upto $100, there is no tax (got a MS-1, some cables etc on 2 shipments via EMS/US).

Hand carry it if you are visiting the USA. I brought it in through the green channel and they did not bother to tax me - and I think one has about Rs,15000 allowance - this falls under that. However if you do bring in other electronics and dutiable stuff then expect it all to be taxed.

Hand carry it if you are visiting the USA. I brought it in through the green channel and they did not bother to tax me - and I think one has about Rs,15000 allowance - this falls under that. However if you do bring in other electronics and dutiable stuff then expect it all to be taxed.

By the way a small correction here, that duty free allowance had been increased to RS 25,000 , some 3 years back. So one bring good worth US$600 / per head w/o attracting any duty, this is in addition to one laptop (any configuration) / per head allowed duty free.

SUhas

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back