OPPO DV-980H , 7.1 Analog sound Output

mandeep

hello everyone

how to exploit these 7.1 analog out's on OPPO DV-980H, which will be better

(a)Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 speaker system.

(b)Use existing 5.1 analog inputs of my Amp and use some stereo amp/2.0 creative speakers to amplify the remaining 2 channels.

any other better solution?

purchasing a new amp will be too costly.:)

thanks

(b)Use existing 5.1 analog inputs of my Amp and use some stereo amp/2.0 creative speakers to amplify the remaining 2 channels.

Let us look at option (b) first. Your existing amp will be amplifying the Front L&R, the Center, and the Surround L&R channels. So if you use a stereo amp, you have to input and amplify the Surround Rear channels.

Generally in today's Dolby Digital, DTS and other multichannel formats, there is hardly any signal going to the Surround Rear channels. So for general movie watching, unless you are very particular, it does not make much sense to spend money to amplify the Surround Rear Channels.

If you are going to use a SACD or a DVD-Audio that has music coming in all 8 channels (7.1 format), then yes, this makes sense. In that case you can use a good stereo to amplify the Front L&R, and use the AVR to amplify the rest of the channels. You have to be careful of the cabling, both from the player to the amp and AVR, and to the speakers. Each channel for the AVR/Amp becomes just a channel to amplify, and you can route the signals the way you want. The DVD Player will be doing the distribution of sound.

Option (a) would mean having redundant speakers and additional cost. I am not sure what purpose that will serve you.

Cheers

hello everyone

how to exploit these 7.1 analog out's on OPPO DV-980H, which will be better

You will not be doing justice to either the Oppo or Inspires. So don't even try this.

You are better off with hooking upto your amp for 2.0 or 2.1 music with decent bookshelves.

I could not find any information regarding availability of Oppo 983H for 20K+Tax. Clicking the oppo link takes to Oppo's US website where Sorry, this product is not currently available is displayed..Any idea?

Let us look at option (b) first. Your existing amp will be amplifying the Front L&R, the Center, and the Surround L&R channels. So if you use a stereo amp, you have to input and amplify the Surround Rear channels.

Generally in today's Dolby Digital, DTS and other multichannel formats, there is hardly any signal going to the Surround Rear channels. So for general movie watching, unless you are very particular, it does not make much sense to spend money to amplify the Surround Rear Channels.

If you are going to use a SACD or a DVD-Audio that has music coming in all 8 channels (7.1 format), then yes, this makes sense. In that case you can use a good stereo to amplify the Front L&R, and use the AVR to amplify the rest of the channels. You have to be careful of the cabling, both from the player to the amp and AVR, and to the speakers. Each channel for the AVR/Amp becomes just a channel to amplify, and you can route the signals the way you want. The DVD Player will be doing the distribution of sound.

Option (a) would mean having redundant speakers and additional cost. I am not sure what purpose that will serve you.

Cheers

HI,

Since purchasing a new amp was out of the equation, even if it was "purchased"/"exchanged my old amp" etc. still there was additional cost of 2 surrounds involved.And i don't have any good stereo amp.

Basic (good Brand) 7.1 amp : Min cost 20,000/- approx.
Basic(good brand) 2 surround speakers : Min cost 4500/- approx.
Total:24,500/-

I read that the creative inspire T7900

10321_1.png

,are a solid buy for games/movies for PC and home entertainment.

whathifi.gif
: 4 stars

uk_pc_extreme2005.gif
: 80% out of 100%, PC Extreme (United Kingdom).

I had problem with placement of the speakers, for that i purchased (Rs 1500/- a pair) two sets/pairs of speaker stands from SONY, Model:WS-FV11, Creative India don't sell/import stands.
31ZLMzabPXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So, Total cost=speakers + stands+ 2 RCA to stereo cables = 6850/- +3000/- + 200/-=10,050/-=pure entertainment.

Brief review:

As i wanted to avoid the purchase of new Amp etc and there are no other brands selling low cost 7.1 speaker systems, creative T7900 (MRP:Rs 9999/-, got them for Rs 6850/-, all inclusive) was the only nice option
left with.

Just finished the setup of speakers , using 2RCA to stereo cables.
speakers_TV_VCR2.jpg

After placing/setting the speakers on the stands the quality of surround sound was simply great,which i never experienced earlier, i know these are not high end speakers from Creative like the Gigaworks / Megaworks, but with right placement of the satellites the environment is superb and you really feel "money well spent".

What really interesting is the Creative MultiSpeaker Surround (CMSS) upmix technology found as a CMSS button on the subwoofer of T7900, so u get 7.1 even with 5.1/6.1 source,( use "direct" option for Dolby Digital EX)
cmss_image.jpg

DVD movies (like Final destination, S1MONE, Lord of the rings) with DD-EX sound much better (with DD-Ex and CMSS set to direct, all seven speakers get their proper signal, for others use upmix) as T7900 have the Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES and Microsoft DirectSound 3D support.

As the OPPO DV-980H, have all the features, like Channel trim (speaker level adjustment), channel delay (for setting the delay, by calculating the distance of speakers to the listener), Dolby Prologic 2 etc the setup was easy.

The quality of sound with "movies" is real good, but with music its average,
if watching movies is main consideration then these are best suited.

And as the power of the surround speakers/ fronts is low (8 W, RMS per channel),so speakers stands or ear level placement is somewhat a requirement.

Total wattage is rather sufficient:
six 8w speakers =6x8W =48W
center speaker = 20W(for better dialogue's)
subwoofer = 24 W
Total=92 Watts, RMS.

The Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): 80dB is also impressive as these is no audible hissing.

It also have a Wired Remote Control, which can be a some sort of limitation, but if u have volume control on the remote of DVD player (which OPPO have) then even that is not a big problem.

I will definitely recommend these for someone who is tight on budget/does not want to sell/exchange/replace his original equipment and the one who have space & want to keep variety in his HT equipment.

Last edited:
Will there be any difference in DD / DTS track decoding with DVD player onboard decoder and AVR decoder. If it doesnt make any difference I can invest the AVR cost into seven channel amp and speakers. Currently Oppo is connected with Philips DSP-3200 5.1 channel multimedia speaker (speakers 14W X 5 into 4ohms and 20W into 4 Ohms subwoofer) and I can say it sounds like entry level HT.

Hifi gurus please comment on this.

Will there be any difference in DD / DTS track decoding with DVD player onboard decoder and AVR decoder. If it doesnt make any difference I can invest the AVR cost into seven channel amp and speakers. Currently Oppo is connected with Philips DSP-3200 5.1 channel multimedia speaker (speakers 14W X 5 into 4ohms and 20W into 4 Ohms subwoofer) and I can say it sounds like entry level HT.

Let me see if I understand this right. You have connected an Oppo player to a set of powered speakers meant for computers? And you expect this to fare well?

Please understand one thing. The Oppo does not have any pre-amplification or power amplification inside. I am assuming you have connected the 'audio out' of the Oppo to the Philips. The Oppo sends line level output through it's audio out ports. These are supposed to be pre-amplifier and then power-amplified - essentially a task that is done by an external AVR or pre/power combination.

When you connect the 'audio out' ports of Oppo, you are dependant upon the Oppo to decode the Dolby/DTS signals as well as do the DAC conversion. Oppo has a good reputation in this area, so if you getting HT level sound, I would say it is because of the speakers.

Now whether the Oppo is better or an AVR is better would depend upon the AVR chosen, and it's DAC capabilities. The decoding of Dolby/DTS singnals, per se, does not matter much. I would reckon most units would be using the same integrated chips.

If you choose an AVR such as the Denon 2310, Onkyo 607, Yamaha 863, I would say they would give fair competition to the capabilities of the Oppo. As you go up the price ladder, an AVR would perform better than the Oppo in DAC. Thus unless you have a specific model in mind, it is very difficult to conjecture.

Cheers

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back