Oppo dvd players distributed by Sound Of Music in India

Sound Of Music

Hello,

We have become official distributors for Oppo in India.

We have launched the the 981HD DVD and the units are in ready stock.

The MRP of the 981HD = Rs 17,000 + 12.5% VAT.

We will be launching the DV-983H very soon.

Oppo have also launched a Blu-ray player at the CEDIA, however it will be out only by January 2009.

Please email us for the details of an authorised Oppo dealer in your area.

I picked up my Oppo from Absolute Phase, Bangalore. I got someone to bring it along to Mumbai with their baggage. Worth the effort!

Any place in Hyderabad where I can audition them/purchase them? I am looking to pick up DV-981HD or DV-983H if its available.

You can audition the DV-983h in my HT next time im in town.

Thanks audiodelic. I will definitely drop in. Just let me know when and where. Much appreciated. BTW where did you get the DV-983H? Is it available here. I have my sister coming from the US in a week's time, but she is loaded with way too much luggage on this trip and hence I could not order the DV-983H. Do let me know if its available here as my sister's next trip is in January and I am not sure I can wait that long...

Thanks audiodelic. I will definite drop in. Just let me know when and where. Much appreciated. BTW where did you get the DV-983H? Is it available here. I have my sister coming from the US in a week's time, but she is loaded with way too much luggage on this trip and hence I could not order the DV-983H. Do let me know if its available here as my sister's next trip is in January and I am not sure I can wait that long...

At the time i bought it from this website, payed via a US credit card and got it shipped international. On request they will also mark the price as $200 the lowest denomination to insure it so that you pay the applicable import cutom duty only on the price marked by them.

HKFlix.com: Hardware! Region-Free DVD Players - Universal, Code-Free Hardware!

Thanks audiodelic,

You have been very helpful along with others on this forum. I have a couple of questions though and hopefully you can help me out here. Does the DV-983H upscale DivX movies or is it only limited to DVDs? If its only limited to DVDs then would you still recommend it or would you say I should go for the DV-981HD. I have a lot of DivX content with me and I need a player that will upscale DivX movies too along with SD DVDs. Any recommendations for a good DivX upscaling player to go along with the DV-983H or the DV-981HD?

Even a single player that will upscale DVDs and DivX will be good, but I really have my heart set on the Oppo after reading so many glowing reviews of it, so I would not mind going in for 2 players.

Thanks audiodelic,

You have been very helpful along with others on this forum. I have a couple of questions though and hopefully you can help me out here. Does the DV-983H upscale DivX movies or is it only limited to DVDs? If its only limited to DVDs then would you still recommend it or would you say I should go for the DV-981HD. I have a lot of DivX content with me and I need a player that will upscale DivX movies too along with SD DVDs. Any recommendations for a good DivX upscaling player to go along with the DV-983H or the DV-981HD?

Even a single player that will upscale DVDs and DivX will be good, but I really have my heart set on the Oppo after reading so many glowing reviews of it, so I would not mind going in for 2 players.

I had emailed oppo about this before buying the dv-983h... Heres the email and reply..

Hi,
I was wondering if the Oppo 983h apart from dvd's ..... also upscales divx, video files through usb flash drive to high resolution ?. I have some 720P Rips Of Blu Ray how would those be displayed...
thanks
satish

Although the DVD player can upscale DivX and XviD media, there is no native support for decoding files which have a resolution larger than 720x480 pixels. Your 720p BD rips will not playback on this player.
Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

In your case i suggest two options choose one
1. Oppo dv-981hd now and you can upgrade to Oppo blu ray player in the near future

or

2. Oppo dv-983h now and you can buy a PS3 the day your ready to plunge into the Hd world.

I had emailed oppo about this before buying the dv-983h... Heres the email and reply..

Hi,
I was wondering if the Oppo 983h apart from dvd's ..... also upscales divx, video files through usb flash drive to high resolution ?. I have some 720P Rips Of Blu Ray how would those be displayed...
thanks
satish

Although the DVD player can upscale DivX and XviD media, there is no native support for decoding files which have a resolution larger than 720x480 pixels. Your 720p BD rips will not playback on this player.
Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

In your case i suggest two options choose one
1. Oppo dv-981hd now and you can upgrade to Oppo blu ray player in the near future

or

2. Oppo dv-983h now and you can buy a PS3 the day your ready to plunge into the Hd world.

Hi,

I have mailed Oppo and awaiting their reply. Most of my DivX rips are SD and not Blu-Ray rips so that should be fine I guess. I have been planning on getting H.264 rips but have held off till I get the h/w that will play them. I will go ahead with the DV-983H as it is since I am planning on the PS3 anyways at the end of the year or early next year, just waiting for the price to come down a bit from the current 24K. Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

Hi,

I have mailed Oppo and awaiting their reply. Most of my DivX rips are SD and not Blu-Ray rips so that should be fine I guess. I have been planning on getting H.264 rips but have held off till I get the h/w that will play them. I will go ahead with the DV-983H as it is since I am planning on the PS3 anyways at the end of the year or early next year, just waiting for the price to come down a bit from the current 24K. Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

exact same scenario, i'm waiting for the price of the ps3 to come down to buy one.

One more thing im bothered is about is once blu ray is a reality in India. They would be region coded so accordingly i would buy the appropriate version of the ps3 as to which region blu rays discs come to india.

exact same scenario, i'm waiting for the price of the ps3 to come down to buy one.

One more thing im bothered is about is once blu ray is a reality in India. They would be region coded so accordingly i would buy the appropriate version of the ps3 as to which region blu rays discs come to india.

Yeah I am sure the cycle of region free hacks will start all over again. I am not even sure the PS3 will play DivX rips d/l from the internet. With the firmware updates and auto updates being online the PS3 will remain up to date always, but then so will its anti-piracy coding/protection that Sony is so good at.

Even then I am inclined towards the PS3 than a standalone Blu-Ray player like the Sony BDP-S350 which has got good reviews simply cause for the same price (well almost, just that the PS3 needs to come down a bit which it will) we are getting 30 GB HDD and a great gaming machine thrown in. I have played with the PS3 on a friend's 29 inch CRT and it absolutely rocked. I am sure it will be even better on a Plasma or an LCD.

Yeah I am sure the cycle of region free hacks will start all over again. I am not even sure the PS3 will play DivX rips d/l from the internet. With the firmware updates and auto updates being online the PS3 will remain up to date always, but then so will its anti-piracy coding/protection that Sony is so good at.

Even then I am inclined towards the PS3 than a standalone Blu-Ray player like the Sony BDP-S350 which has got good reviews simply cause for the same price (well almost, just that the PS3 needs to come down a bit which it will) we are getting 30 GB HDD and a great gaming machine thrown in. I have played with the PS3 on a friend's 29 inch CRT and it absolutely rocked. I am sure it will be even better on a Plasma or an LCD.

Is he also into multiplayer gaming ?
what kind of internet connection is required to have lag free multi player gaming in india ? which internet does he use ?

Is he also into multiplayer gaming ?
what kind of internet connection is required to have lag free multi player gaming in india ? which internet does he use ?

He has Airtel Broadband, but its really no good for online gaming. In fact the internet is only for updating s/w and such. What my friend does have is a brother in the US who makes frequent trips so he gets all the latest games and movies and that too on Blu-Ray. We do have a LAN party at this house where we play games, but its mainly PC to PC. We have yet to try configuring/connecting the PS3 for multiplayer gaming.

He has Airtel Broadband, but its really no good for online gaming. In fact the internet is only for updating s/w and such. What my friend does have is a brother in the US who makes frequent trips so he gets all the latest games and movies and that too on Blu-Ray. We do have a LAN party at this house where we play games, but its mainly PC to PC. We have yet to try configuring/connecting the PS3 for multiplayer gaming.

i mean i loved the PS3, but it wasnt the single player games at all that really got my attention.I want to buy one only if i can play Call of Duty 4, Battlefield 3 & soul caliber online.

So the real question is if multi player gaming on consoles is a reality in India ?

i mean i loved the PS3, but it wasnt the single player games at all that really got my attention.I want to buy one only if i can play Call of Duty 4, Battlefield 3 & soul caliber online.

So the real question is if multi player gaming on consoles is a reality in India ?

Hi,

Unfortunately not yet. In fact we have got the Wii and PS3 only recently (meaning the warranty versions) and even then they are priced so disproportionately with the Wii costing as much as the PS3. I would have picked up the Wii if it was anywhere near the range of what it costs in the US, but at 22K one might as well go for the PS3 since it will last longer and is a much powerful machine. More than the h/w the s/w is an issue. Most games are not available and even if they are cost a bomb by INR standards.

Most multi player games I have played are at LAN parties with friends where we get together at a buddy's place and have a blast. Online sadly is yet to take off in India...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back