oppo or Yamaha ?

Sunderpalanivel

Hi Guys,

I am currently using a sony Blu ray player, recently when I went to upgrade my receiver I saw a yamaha blu ray player and I was blown away from the excellent picture quality and when the guy told me hat its just a dvd playing I was completely bowled over. I also saw oppo 95, which is considerably expensive compared to yamaha's top end blu ray player. I just want to know if the yamaha could be as good as oppo in terms of picture quality and sound quality. Any users oppo or/and yamaha users here ? any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunder.

Which model of Yamaha did you audition ?
The excellent picture quality might be the effect of using a higher end AVR also .. High end AVR s have good Video Upscalers.. FOr Ex., Onkyo 809 and above hav QDEO Marvell Processing , Yamaha Aventage too has good upscalers...

Which AVR did you audition it with..
You can demo the same Bluray player with the same DVD, but this time directly connecting to the TV/LED again and see if you get the same quality ... If not the AVR was at work , which inevitably bowled you over...!!

In that case you need to audition the OPPO which is a very good Bluray player...

I saw it was connected to a HK receiver, I too bought a HK receiver. Just wondering if yamaha could be as good as oppo for lesser price.

Since you have already auditioned the Yamaha, i think you should go for the Yamaha, Oppo is good but its also overpriced.. But then its Region free too. Which Yamaha Bluray did u audition? Do u remember the model no?

No I don't remember the model number, but the shop guy told me there are two models in Yahama one for $550 and another for $1000, the one I saw playing was $550's.

Oppo is $800 and $1700 for 93 and 95 respectively ! But I think oppo 95 has far more superior audio processing than other players. if I want to play audio CD then oppo 95 will be very superior I guess. Any thoughts ?

yup if you also plan on playing audio CDs then the oppo would def be a better choice.
if video is your main concern then you can go for the yamaha and save some money....

Better go for Yamaha for now... For audio always a dedicated Audio Cd players like those from Marantz are a good option.. Audition the Samsung 6xxx series also.. They are pretty cheap and easily available..

No I don't remember the model number, but the shop guy told me there are two models in Yahama one for $550 and another for $1000, the one I saw playing was $550's.

Oppo is $800 and $1700 for 93 and 95 respectively ! But I think oppo 95 has far more superior audio processing than other players. if I want to play audio CD then oppo 95 will be very superior I guess. Any thoughts ?

It should either be the Yamaha BD671 (550$) or the Aventage serie s BD player (1000$)

I would take the Yamaha. They are a large company with significant sales in the audio and musical instrument lines of business. Compared to other hardware manufacturers they are the most vertically integrated. This means they make most of the parts in their models. Yes they buy electrical components from others, like active IC's and semiconductors and passives like resistors and capacitors, but they often specify tighter specifications than other manufacturers can buy. This results in very competitive products at lower prices.

Oppo is a small company and makes good working equipment, but it seems to appeal to those like to wear their specifications on their sleeve. Their famous audio DSP is wonderful, but who has the rack of Mackie amps and a couple of tonnes of drivers to display the 132 db claimed dynamic range?

Save the money you would spend on the Oppo and use it hire some girls to come over and feed you pop corn. You will be much more satisfied.

I am not sure why the oppo's are so expensive at your place, but they are far cheaper in the traditional US price, so check if it makes sense to ship internationally from amazon or oppo direct.

Truly speaking, if you are not too fussy about scaling (which wont matter if you use only blu rays or 1080p source material) or audio then you can as well as shift to a sony bdp, rather than a yamaha bdp.

I am more concerned about the audio quality while listening to stereo music. I read lot of reviews where people say oppo 95 has much better audio than 93 (which was already good), so I am assuming the stereo quality difference between my sony and oppo 95 would be night and day ? now when I play cd in my sony BD player, its more of noise than music, given that I have a good receiver and speaker, the cd player's weakness is so obvious !

Last edited:
Yes ! There is a noticeable difference betwwen the Sony and OPPO95, OPPO has better DACs (ES9018 SABRE 32-bit Reference DAC) and it clearly mentions on its site that its an Audiophile Grade BluRay Player..!

You will benefit from Oppo audio wise only if you use analog outs and AVR in Pure/Direct mode. Use any other way, and the whole benefit of Oppo DAC is gone.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back