Our AV Room

Yeah we did some basic research on acoustic treatment to begin with. We actually started with a wrong foot taking the direction of sound proofing which is mostly like building a room within room where you need to isolate the sound and contain that within which is much needed for studios and cinemas. In most of cases we need acoustic treatment where we only tame the sound frequencies cutting down the annoying booming, slap backs and such. The so called professional installers were asking a bomb where most quotes were in the range of 1.5 lakh + for a 200 sqft room and I wasnt convinced. We then went with Aural Exchange's foam based panels which in my opinion are the only ones that look and sound professional of all the ones I came across.

We first finished the mixing desk with all wedge panels and then went for the HT side where we started off with bass traps (most crucial) and then diffusion and absorption for the side walls and ceiling.

We then stuck them to the walls with a adhesive with a carpenter since we were running other studio renovation work and it took a 2 days of labour.
Thanks for sharing this.
I am also considering similar acoustic treatment for my HT room. Would it be possible for you to share list (and qty) of the individual Aural exchange item you purchased? I am not very confident to make a list myself.

TIA

Thanks for sharing this.
I am also considering similar acoustic treatment for my HT room. Would it be possible for you to share list (and qty) of the individual Aural exchange item you purchased? I am not very confident to make a list myself.

TIA
Sure, I can PM you the list of components.

Sure. Here are the equipments being used in the room.

• AVR - Denon 2400H- 5.2.1 config
  • Stereo Amp- Cambridge Audio AM5 (surprisingly good!) and Yamaha RX-E100
  • Speakers Front - Q Acoustics 3020
  • Speakers Centre - Proficient Bookshelf ( does really well for the centre and the vocals/dialogues are extremely clear)
  • Surrounds/ Atmos speakers - Polk TL1 Satellites (again does the job well for the surrounds and ceiling)
  • Sub - Klipsch SW110
  • Screen - 8 Ft X 4 Ft custom made/ painted with matte white and the projection quality is very satisfying.
  • Projector - Epson 725HD (Sharp enough and does the job)

Speakers stands - Custom made by one of our FM Agasthya. They have the heft and make the QA 3020s shine! - highly recommend him for all sorts of Audio gear in Chennai.

Mixing desk - Presonus Eris E5- value for money Monitors - very articulate in nature. Scarlett Focusrite 2i2

Acoustic panels - All of them (Diffusors, Absorption panels, Bass traps) are from Aural Exchange and they have been proving pretty good and cost effective compared to the standard acoustics treatment many third party contractors/ architects offer.

I currently own a pioneer receiver and planning to buy a stereo amplifier. Can you please tell me whether your Cambridge Audio AM5 better than your Denon receiver.

I currently own a pioneer receiver and planning to buy a stereo amplifier. Can you please tell me whether your Cambridge Audio AM5 better than your Denon receiver.

AM5 is really a entry level stereo receiver and a direct comparsion to a AVR wont be fair. Having said that I still like the sound signature of AM5 better than my Denon AVR. You can also try the AM10 that will be slightly better.

Looks really neat. Can you please send the list to me as well. Also, how did you determine the size/location of the panels and bass traps.
Sure, I will make a list to you too!

The size is a standard dimension and in most cases you need a panel that measures 4X2. These panels are all 2X2 dimensions. The location is purely based on the reflection points where sound often bounces back and forth.

For starters we used this video as a guide and it worked out really well!

Hi Vj,

Even i did my research and found that Aural Exchange to be fairly priced. I do not have a dedicated room but have a HT set up in my bedroom. I would like to do some sound proofing and acoustic treatment. Do they have a branch here in chennai or they will only ship the products. It will be convenient if they inspect first and provide the installation support as well

Me too please.. although my Living room doubles up as my HT room .. And I am not sure how much of these acoustic panels I could stick on the wall ! is there any other aesthetic alternative?

Hi Vj,

Even i did my research and found that Aural Exchange to be fairly priced. I do not have a dedicated room but have a HT set up in my bedroom. I would like to do some sound proofing and acoustic treatment. Do they have a branch here in chennai or they will only ship the products. It will be convenient if they inspect first and provide the installation support as well

Yeah I agree. They only ship the components. You can call Ashutosh whose number should be on the site.

Me too please.. although my Living room doubles up as my HT room .. And I am not sure how much of these acoustic panels I could stick on the wall ! is there any other aesthetic alternative?

I believe these panels themselves become part of your room aesthetics if you see. I dont think there is any other cheaper alternative that still looks good in my experience.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back