Panasonic 46" vs panasonic 42"

come on guys... some input wud be highly appreciated

Vishal,

A piece of advice (which I learned the hard way) - trust your eyes only and be unbiased.

One con about discussion boards is that it influences your thoughts/preferences and mostly people dont realize it until its too late or maybe never (good for them).

few questions:

Why are you considering only plasmas? I didnt notice if you mentioned a budget constraint so why not consider LEDs? I found some LEDs that have better PQ than the plasmas you mentioned .

What is going to be the major source of your viewing content? This is very critical. I strongly suggest you check out the displays you have shortlisted with these very sources before you buy one.

if you want to stick to plasma, considering that your viewing distance is 12 feet, following would be my recommendation :

50" Samy C550 > 50" LG PK550 > 42" V20 > 46" U20.

I have seen all these plasmas and they all have pros and cons but the V20 is best in PQ but only when the content played is Full HD.

Only reading discussion boards will just end up making you more confused, just like my post would have, because there is no one right answer. Go out and see what suits you.

thanks kiranB,

i understand ur point of view... and i guess its a very valid point.....

i went and saw the panasonic 42v20, 46U20, and the 46X20...

yes the v20 has the best PQ but its only marginally better than the rest...... there isnt much difference between 46U20 and 46X20 except that u20 is full HD and x20 is HD ready but as per my earlier post i dont think it'll make much of a difference while watching tata sky and only marginal difference while watching BD.....

the quote i got so far is:

42v20 - 67K
46U20 - 70K
46X20 - 55K

considering VFM X20 seems to be the best choice.....

I must add that I see pixels in all models i have seen so far (including V20)... however i guess panas might have a slight edge over the others....

So the final decision is between sammy 50C450 and pana 46X20...... (sammy 50C450 - 59K vs panasonic 46X20 - 55K)

Sammy has more features but cant tell the difference between the specs that really matter cos sammy doesnt have detailed info on that....also will never get a chance to see booth tvs side by side... so this is a tough call.. (btw sammy has resolution of 1365X768 vs panas 1024X768...how much diff will that make?)

which one to go for? experts pls help?

Last edited:
Points you should consider:

1) Price wise SAmsung wins, for 4K more you get 4 inches of extra display plus the choice of playing various formats via USB. X series does not have a USB slot.

2) Does the panasonic come with its 3 year warranty offer? If yes then it gains over Sammy here.

3) If I m not mistaken, C450 is a much newer model compared to X20.

4) If you visit some croma stores and are lucky, then you might find both the sammy and the panny side by side. If you cant atleast try them out with various sources that you would be using.

In the end, if you are not satisfied with either, dont buy yet, start your search again, coz u will have to live with your choice everyday. (you wont be able to make yourself feel good by pretending that it does not exist, coz it will be like a 50 inch monster in your room)

Points you should consider:

1) Price wise SAmsung wins, for 4K more you get 4 inches of extra display plus the choice of playing various formats via USB. X series does not have a USB slot.

2) Does the panasonic come with its 3 year warranty offer? If yes then it gains over Sammy here.

3) If I m not mistaken, C450 is a much newer model compared to X20.

4) If you visit some croma stores and are lucky, then you might find both the sammy and the panny side by side. If you cant atleast try them out with various sources that you would be using.

In the end, if you are not satisfied with either, dont buy yet, start your search again, coz u will have to live with your choice everyday. (you wont be able to make yourself feel good by pretending that it does not exist, coz it will be like a 50 inch monster in your room)

50" inch monster...i like that... donno if i shud read between the lines n guess ur preference is for the sammy....lol

yes the panna has the 3 year warranty

infact C450 is last yrs model and X20D is 2010 model

Panasonic has given specs such as:

Moving picture resolution - 720 lines (the higher end ones have 1080 lines)

Shades of gradation; 4096 equivalent steps of gradation (6144 for the higher end)

Most importantly : resolution 1024 X 786

Unfortunately sammy doesnt have any such specifics...hell it doesnt even mention the contrast ratio (just says mega dynamic contrast ratio... even the sales guy said there r no numbers to it.. its just mega!!!)

however sammy has a resolution of 1366 X 768.

Do this specifications mean anything? does it help in making a choice?

meanwhile i will try n find a place which has both tvs... however i wud appreciate help based on this stats as well... thanks!

Last edited:
I was surprised when i saw samsung doesnt give the specs.

However, specs are like a cv/remsume. you cant make your choice just on the basis of whats written in the cv.

If your gettin 3 year warranty on panasonic then thats a big plus point.

But you need to negotiate better. You can get a better deal than the price you have mentioned.

hey kiran,

what shud be the right price to pay for pana 46X20b?
they said 55K.... i got a quote of 40K from vijay sales for the 42X20b... unfortunately they dont sell 46x20b

i'm guessing 15k more for 4 inches with identical speks is a bit much...

I have the same question and dilemma as vishal.
I am stuck between the panasonic plasma's.

Please help.

@vishal.
which one did you end up buying?

Frankly, i will advise you to get the maximum bang for your buck, you can't compare a 46" set with a 50" as the difference would be clearly noticeable. Also when you are buying a TV for a long time it's better to have a bigger size screen and it also fits in your budget, plus you have the space and the viewing distance to set it up perfectly.

I would not make much noise on contrast ratio and other stuff as everyone has inflated numbers. As part of image resolution Samsung has higher which is better. Also if you are planning to watch SD content , i don't feel you should worry as it would go well with plasmas.

Demo the set with the content you watch on a daily basis, it makes no sense viewing a HD video of Avatar or other demos if your maximum usage will be SD.
All these things make a difference.

I won't go gaga over LED as i have seen the sets and what is on offer. Ultimately buy what pleases your eye.

Last edited:
congrats tapmal.... pls post ur impressions of the tv... anything we shud watch out for?

@prakhar: I'm yet to finallize my tv... will be doin so in within a week... wat models of pana r u looking at?

@vishal

okay. I am looking at Panasonic Plasma p42v20d - Rs 71000 with home theater system 5.1(Rs 7200) at Noida. Without Home theater Rs.65500.

Plasma 46U20d for Rs 78000

@vishal

okay. I am looking at Panasonic Plasma p42v20d - Rs 71000 with home theater system 5.1(Rs 7200) at Noida. Without Home theater Rs.65500.

Plasma 46U20d for Rs 78000

Prakhar22 ,

One member from bangalore got it for 62k with a hdmi cable.... You should be able to get much better price.

Thanks
Kittu

The MOP (Market Operating Price) for 42V20D seems to be 66K. It looks like most of the retailers will not be generating invoice below 66K even if the selling price is lower than this. The retailer will be taking a signature as if we took the difference as the cash-back.

This has happened for me for both V20 and LG 42" 50YR.

So what I understood is if we get a thing at lower than what the retailer is invoicing we can be sure to some extent that the price is OK.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back