Panasonic 46" vs panasonic 42"

vishal996

hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a new plasma for my bedroom and both my options r from Panasonic. the models are:

1) Panasonic th-p42v20d
2) Panasonic th-p46u20d

My viewing distance is gonna be 12 feet so i know both will be fine from that point of view.

The basic confusion is because both these TV's cost roughly the same (46" abt 3K more...but thats not much of a difference) but both have diff. specs and features.
The major difference between the 2 r as follows:

42v has neopdp vs no neopdp for 46u
42v had viera cast (internet ready with skype, youtube etc.) vs no viera cast for 46u
2 usb for 42v vs no usb for 46u
50 lakh:1 contrast ratio for 42v vs 20 lakh:1 for 46u
the most imp (for me especially since i am also buying an AVR + 5.1 speakers) optical digital audio output for 42v vs no optical digital audio output for 46u

Is internet on tv ,neopdp, contrast ratio and optical audio output such a big deal for sacrificing 4" larger screen?

Any help wud be highly appreciated...thanks!

I would take the larger screen anyday. Given a choice. Don't worry about the specs etc. Both TV's are decent. Get the larger one. You won't regret it

I consider U20 an inferior display. Panasonic NeoPDP makes a great difference in picture quality.

Plus 4" is hardly any difference.

Last edited:
Agree with frankmehta, I would go in for a larger screen. 4" may seem like nothing on paper but it translates into quite a big difference. Compare a 22" monitor with a 26" TV and see what a difference 4 inches can make........

vishal

you answered your question then why thinking there are many features in 42V than 46U so yes go for a 42V . To me I will notice major difference only if the choice is between 42 and 50 inch not 42 and 46..... But before you buy go thru the threads of Pana and other plasmas. There have been lot of issues reported in many plasmas lately. One can live with them or chose to wait till they get fixed... Dont rush... Read forum threads carefully and Demo all TVs and then buy... Coz amp / speakers etc we upgrade often but not the TV....

Go for the right one. :rolleyes:

Kittu

thanks,

all u guys...now there is further confusion cos we dont seem to have a majority...also r the issues with plasma gonna get sorted out soon... or we'll have to wait for 2011 models for them to get fixed? whats the best option in that case...go for LCD?

I consider U20 an inferior display. Panasonic NeoPDP makes a great difference in picture quality.

Plus 4" is hardly any difference.

how much difference does neopdp make considering todays technology for stb's ..... the saleman said neopdp is sth that will come into play 5 yrs from now...donno how knowledgable he was....also will the difference in contrast ratio matter as much?

how much difference does neopdp make considering todays technology for stb's ..... the saleman said neopdp is sth that will come into play 5 yrs from now...donno how knowledgable he was....also will the difference in contrast ratio matter as much?

Aussies think it makes a lot of difference,

Panasonic V10 / V20 / U20. - TVs - Home theatre

If you plan to watch mostly dth then i doubt any of these matter.\

depends on your budget man -I would be tempted with the v20. But then again if its a plasma - why nto give LG or Samsung a try. Two years back nothing came close to a Pana but on a budget Sammy and Lg offer great value.

And another question why plasma?

@vishal - trust your eyes first. Though I researched for over 3 months before buying the TV in 2009 - Panasonic OV* was awesome with HD displays and watchable for SD content - hence I chose it. See if you can find the LH90 of LG - was a awesome TV. Else v20 from panasonic is good but there have been some issues reported on it. How about C560 or the likes. The other threads have detailed information about this. Check that out and then check the tvs out at an showroom near your place.

Last edited:
well there has been a lot of debate on lcd vs plasma and the end result is plasmas have a better picutre quality and good for not very well lit rooms....

i'm gonna buy 2 tvs (1 for bedroom n 1 for the living room)

the living room is well lit and mostly my mum uses this tv...only occasionally i watch a match with family on this tv..hence lcd for this room

bedroom is not that well lit and i will use the tv here very extensively...hence plasma for this room

is 67- 70 K for 42-46" plasma lcd considered a small or adequate budget? r the lgs and samsungs more expensive.... after asking a lotta ppl i came to the conclusion that samsung is best for lcd and pana best for plasmas so never looked at any other brands.....am i missing out on sth?

Last edited:
@vishal - trust your eyes first. Though I researched for over 3 months before buying the TV in 2009 - Panasonic OV* was awesome with HD displays and watchable for SD content - hence I chose it. See if you can find the LH90 of LG - was a awesome TV. Else v20 from panasonic is good but there have been some issues reported on it. How about C560 or the likes. The other threads have detailed information about this. Check that out and then check the tvs out at an showroom near your place.[/QUOTE]

C560?? which make is this tv..cant find it online?

ok guys,

i have read in some forums that Panasonic 42v20 has some issues.... checked out the samsung c550 and found it quite cool to get a 50" sammy for the same cost as pana v20....but then again read a thread wherein owners are claiming the tv is suffering from some banding issues...and lg also seems to have its share of problems...

does this mean that even with a budget of 70K there is no decent plasma available in the market......what shud one ultimately buy?
Sammy, LG or Panasonic? all this is just adding to the confusion...

ok guys,

i have read in some forums that Panasonic 42v20 has some issues.... checked out the samsung c550 and found it quite cool to get a 50" sammy for the same cost as pana v20....but then again read a thread wherein owners are claiming the tv is suffering from some banding issues...and lg also seems to have its share of problems...

does this mean that even with a budget of 70K there is no decent plasma available in the market......what shud one ultimately buy?
Sammy, LG or Panasonic? all this is just adding to the confusion...

This is getting interesting . :rolleyes:

hey guys,

i went and checked out a few plasmas today..

First up went to LG showroom and checked out the 50PK550, 50PJ650 and the 42PJ650.... they were all right as long as the BD was playing... but then i asked to put on regular tata sky and i cud see pixels in all three of them...the 50" showed pixels even at a distance of 10 - 12 feet... the viewing distance in my bedroom is 11 feet... funnily the sales guy said that for my viewing distance a 42" is preferable n will show lesser pixels.... somwhow even the 42" did show me some pixels at about 6-8 feet.

Another thing that put me off was that neither of them had optical audio out....

Next stop Samsung Plaza

Here i checked out 50C550, 50C450 and 42C450

Once again i cud see pixels in all of them while watching regular tata sky which is kinda annoying (it was slightly better than LG)

Note: salesman at both places said it was due to multiple connections to different tvs and that it wud be better at ur place with a single connection but i donno if this is credible info...

Secondly the guy at LG (who btw was quite well informed) mentioned there is really no difference while watchin tata sky on a HD ready or FULL HD tv...even with the tata sky HD, the image quality is abt 520p which the HD ready tv can more than handle.... the only difference will be noticed while watchin a BD and that too then difference isnt all that big n will be noticable only when u concentrate hard on it....

So i'm now contemplating on whether it is really worth paying extra bucks for a Full HD tv? Also is it wise to buy a TV with no optical audio out?

Lastly wats the deal with all the pixels in plasma tv's... have to still check out the panasonics n then decide...

So far out of the 2 i wud go for samsung (atleast it has optical out even though the image quality is only mrginally better)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back