Panasonic BD-60 vs BD-80 vs Denon 2500BTCI

Spidey

Which blu-ray player to buy :

I am getting them at 16.6k, 21k, 35k respectively.

thanks

Last edited:
consider the Samsung BD-P2500 as per reviews it outperforms both the pansonics, but perhaps not the Denon.....and it comes for 300 USD. (i am assuming you're picking these up from the US, considering the prices)

Last edited:
the Denon looks like it is a minimum of 32k from that listing. May not be worth all the extra money, especially considering the Oppo BD-83 for 500 USD is about to become available soon.

Do consider this one for 21k as well

Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Samsung BD-P2500 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player : Electronics

And also remember that most of these are likely to be 110V and you'll need a good quality transformer to get them to work in India.

Hi I am not stealing them from anywhere :)
I have to credit ( or later blame) psychotropic for giving me a link to the US website (pay in rupees).... whats the catch??
The price quoted includes : base price(with discount) + customs duty + shipping.

Buy online - Panasonic DMP-BD80

Buy online -Denon-DVD-2500BTCI-Blu-ray-DVD-CD-Player

Which blu-ray player to buy :

I am getting them at 16.6k, 21k, 25k respectively.

thanks

Panasonic DMPBD60 is good but one of the review i read said Sony BDP S350 is equally good and it has more features and better audio then panasonic.

Thanks,
Prakash

@Spidey - What is the hurry? Unless you have lots of Blu-Ray content it just does not make sense to go for a standalone Blu-Ray player right now. At these prices a PS3 is all the more better and will also perform more/better with increased internal HDD. For Blu-Ray content a PS3 is as good as any Blu-Ray player.

If you have a Full HD TV and lots of DVDs that you want to upscale then the Oppo BDP is a better option.

If neither then wait or else if you have to have something that plays Blu-Ray then get a PS3.

Blu-Ray players will only get cheaper and it's better to wait till they are under 15K or even under 10K before going for one.

hey moser, while i haven't tried them out myself, my reading of reviews suggest that most of the new generation BD players are better than the PS3, including the basic Samsung BD-P1600. But your advice does make sense, why not wait for these players to get released in India, or at least give them time to tweak their players a bit more. Buy the PS3 of course if you're interested in gaming, it's stunning value, but if not, don't bother.

@Spidey - What is the hurry? Unless you have lots of Blu-Ray content it just does not make sense to go for a standalone Blu-Ray player right now. At these prices a PS3 is all the more better and will also perform more/better with increased internal HDD. For Blu-Ray content a PS3 is as good as any Blu-Ray player.

If you have a Full HD TV and lots of DVDs that you want to upscale then the Oppo BDP is a better option.

If neither then wait or else if you have to have something that plays Blu-Ray then get a PS3.

Blu-Ray players will only get cheaper and it's better to wait till they are under 15K or even under 10K before going for one.

The PS3 lacks in upscaling. For playing a Blu-Ray disc its as good as any Blu-Ray player (or at the least very near to a standalone Blu-Ray player to my eyes). Either ways its not h/w related and future firmware upgrades of the PS3 will fix whatever is lacking.

hey moser, while i haven't tried them out myself, my reading of reviews suggest that most of the new generation BD players are better than the PS3, including the basic Samsung BD-P1600. But your advice does make sense, why not wait for these players to get released in India, or at least give them time to tweak their players a bit more. Buy the PS3 of course if you're interested in gaming, it's stunning value, but if not, don't bother.

Without meaning to offend anybody, let me confirm :

PS3 is not a 100% solution of stand-alone DVD or even Blu-ray player.

Remember it is a game console first and then a av solution.

Anyway a new PS3 is 22-25k... second hand is around 15-18k.
so where are you saving instead of going for dedicated players??

I have numerous friends who have "upgraded" from PS3 to dedicated BDP.

regards

Just thought I'd post that I just saw that Amazon has slashed its price on the BD-P2500 to 260 USD. It sounds like a criminally good deal now :)

Found this in my inbox yday.

----------------------

The BDP-83 is a full-featured universal Blu-ray disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live and BonusView), DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), HDCD, CD and other media formats such as AVCHD, MKV video, digital music and photos. Based on and expanded upon our acclaimed up-converting DVD players, the BDP-83 delivers first-class video quality for both Blu-ray and DVD. Utilizing the VRS by Anchor Bay video processing solution, it supports all the high-end video features including 1080p24Hz output, HDMI 1.3 with Deep Color, Source Direct output, and many other picture control and enhancement options.

We did not stop at just video performance. Audio performance is equally important. The BDP-83 supports all the high-resolution audio formats with bit-stream output and onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature. The BDP-83 features a refined analog audio stage with a pair of dedicated stereo as well as 7.1ch analog audio outputs.

The BDP-83 is a user-friendly player. Initially setup is a breeze and all operation and setup details are explained in the well-written manual. Users can appreciate its quick start-up, fast disc loading and responsive operation. Setup menus can be accessed without interruption to disc playback. The included front and back USB 2.0 ports enable easy access to music, photo and video. Featuring a heavy gauge brushed aluminum front panel, dimmable display and a sturdy chassis, the BDP-83 fits nicely to any home theater environment, from simple to very high-end. Additional convenient features include a remote control with backlight, IR in and out ports, optional RS-232 control and wireless bridge kit.

It has been a long wait for this unique player. We truly appreciate your patience and support. We took our time to make sure the BDP-83 will uphold the OPPO performance heritage and meet your expectations. During the past year, the BDP-83 went though a lengthy beta test, two rounds of Early Adoption Programs, and many firmware revisions. As a result of the collective contribution of our user community, product reviewers and developers, we feel confident that the BDP-83 is worth the wait. We encourage you to read the reviews from critics, industry experts and end users. Simply perform a web search for "OPPO BDP-83 reviews."

The BDP-83 is currently available for a retail price of $499. It can be ordered directly from the OPPO Digital web site at:

OPPO Digital - Blu-ray and Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

Detail features and specifications are also available there. Backed by the renowned quality and customer support from OPPO Digital, the BDP-83 will bring stunning visual and breath-taking audio performance to any home theater.

OPPO Digital is a consumer-oriented company that listens carefully to customer opinions and values their feedback. Should you need more information, please visit our Web site at OPPO Digital - Blu-ray and Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer, email or call us. We will be glad to help.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
OPPO Digital - Blu-ray and Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

-------------------------

Cheers.

Found this in my inbox yday.

The BDP-83 is a full-featured universal Blu-ray disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live and BonusView), .......

All this is fine and was expected as an upgrade to the 983. But, but, but, the damn thing is region locked. I am waiting for someone to hack it.

Cheers

hey venkat, apparently there's an unofficial hack out already.....involves inputting the region code each time you put in a BD....but that sounds okay....

All this is fine and was expected as an upgrade to the 983. But, but, but, the damn thing is region locked. I am waiting for someone to hack it.

Cheers

I starting to think that I will sell my 100+ SACD, DVD-A and settle down with the PS3. 980 may go to the bedroom.

Patience my friend. By end of this year you will have HD Audio ready AVRs for 20,000 or less that you can use to listen to SACD and DVD-A, even in your bedroom. And universal BR players will come down to 10,000.

With prices of low end models at around 15,000 I am sorely tempted to connect an AVR to all my 3 TVs, even if I have to use sub/sat speaker systems for lack of space.

Cheers

Where, where, where? Give me the link please?

Cheers

Oppo bdp 83 multi region firmware upgrade at Codefreedvd.com

Oppo BDP-83 Codefree Firmware
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This release based on version 0430

The Blu-ray region is switched by entering a 4 digit code on the setup menu.
Press setup on remote once so the menu appears, then hit:

7891 : Region A and codefree DVD
7892 : Region B and codefree DVD
7893 : Region C and codefree DVD

You can restore the standard firmware and select "Reset Factory Default"
option to reset the player back to standard if required.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back