Panasonic DMP BDT220 - anyone lucky making it region free ?

As you're earlier thread has become really long a quick question @just4kix.
I don't really need the blu ray region free as I have the sony 490 too as an alternate so
is there a way to make the 220 region free for dvd without the firmware upgrade.
Cheers!!

Have you searched avsforum? I think there shall be something as they provides DVD hack info for almost all players. Hope it helps.

as per avsforum panasonic 220 can be made region free for dvd playback with the help of a universal remote. They have further mentioned the process to do the same.

Infact i want to make my panasonic bdt 220 region free for dvd playback, neither i have the universal remote nor i understand the process completly. :(

It shall not be an issue, I also hack my Sony BDP S-490, for DVD region free with universal remote with magic button. Universal remotes are available for Rs700/- onwards.

Copy pasted the process from AVSFORUM( http://www.avsforum.com/t/1395341/official-panasonic-dmp-bdt-220-320-500-owners-thread/1860 ) post # 1863

=============================================================
Panasonic DMP-BDT 500 Region Free Hack(only works on DVD discs not Blu Ray discs).

I bet this hack will also work on the DMP-BDT 220 and 320

This is the same Panasonic remote hack that has worked on many Panasonic DVD players and Blu Ray players over the last several years.

I can confirm after the hack, the player stays Region Free even after a firmware update (just like other Panasonic Players).

I bought the One for All Essence 4 Way (URC 7140) remote.

If you have another One for All remote, it may need the 3 digit codes, simply use the 5 digit codes below but remove the first two 0. So 00191 would be 191

If I say the DVD button blinks twice, it must do this, if it does not you must try the sequence again and again until it does blink twice.

prepare:
1. select dvd device on remote
2. hold magic button until the DVD button lights up and stays lit up.
3. enter device code 0490 (DVD button blinks twice)

program buttons with the following codes:

1. 00191 = ENTER
2. 00120 = 6
3. 00065 = >=10
4. 00180 = <<
5. 00143 = Service Key
6. 00155 = AUDIO
7. 00122 = 8
8. 00117 = 1
9. 00129 = SUBTITLE
0. 00123 = 4

1. hold magic button until the DVD button lights up and stays lit
2. press 994 (DVD button blinks twice)
3. press magic
4. enter 5 digit code from above
5. press button (1,2,3 etc..) where to program it (DVD button blinks twice)
6. repeat steps 1 to 5 for all keys.

Switch on DVD player, make sure theirs no disc in it.
Press the One For All Remote buttons in the following sequence
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0

Then simply wait until the Panasonic makes it self region free (takes a minute or two).
When its finished it will not actually tell you its region free, just simply try it with different region DVDs.

=============================================================

Will give it a shot & update buddy, thanks!! Btw I have a Harmony 525 univ remote. Any idea if that would work (there is no 'magic' button) or else will order one from flipkart.
Not in too much of a hurry as is, have too many optional players at home.
(Intd mainly so I dont have to keep switching the pana 220 connected to my projector)
Thanks again!

Hi Deepak

i understand you can use Logitech remote also to make it region free for dvd play back. I think read it sometime back in avsforum only.

once you are able to make it region free then please pet me know. then i shall also go ahead with the universal remote way.

Last edited:
Hi Deepak

i understand you can use Logitech remote also to make it region free for dvd play back. I think read it sometime back in avsforum only.

once you are able to make it region free then please pet me know. then i shall also go ahead with the universal remote way.

Great, will surely update , thanks!!

The process for Sony was with a fewer steps, but it worked in one shot.

I think there is a option with Harmony as well... you need to search a bit more in the forum for more details.. else 700 bucks just for this. It is pretty basic URC. Mine is lying unused since I hacked my BDP.

manz: Could you give me the one you used for the 490 too. just in case.
I have had no problems with any dvd on that though, including playing all that worked / did not on my 220.
& did you manage to make it region free for blu rays as well?
Thanks in advance!

Sony blu ray players BD region hacking possible only through hardware modification (so far). So no luck.

Regarding the parting with the remote. I dunno. Currently my idea is keeping it as an reserved remote in case any of my remote for the various gadgets conks off. But if you are really interested, I can, do let me know (via PM only).

^^^ can't figure out. :confused::confused::confused:
I am not asking how to make it region free. I am asking how is the 3D playback from UPnP/ smb/ network. Whether it supports playing of iso files.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
Need a quick help. I got this player from US through a friend. I dont have the box. How can I know the last 2 letters of my player BDT220. Its required for firmwareinfo. I dont think its written anywhere on the player.

Quick question. Yesterday I registered on firmwareinfo and got rejected after some time. They said my data was not correct. I sent my device model as DMP-BDT220P. I feel everything else was correct except the MAC address (wired). Does wired mean that I have to actually connect a LAN cable to the played and then note the MAC address or I can just opt for 'Wired' option inside settings even when the player is wireless ?

There is no need to connect to network - wired or wireless. Set the network option as wired and note down the MAC Id. The BDP screen displays MAC Id in small case letters (where applicable). You must convert it to ALL CAPS at the time of registration.

There is no need to connect to network - wired or wireless. Set the network option as wired and note down the MAC Id. The BDP screen displays MAC Id in small case letters (where applicable). You must convert it to ALL CAPS at the time of registration.

hmmm I did the same thing and still got rejected. Not sure what else could be the problem. I hope they will allow me to register again.

Tried again on firmwareinfo but no luck. Bought a URC 7140 for the remote hack; that didnt work either. Frustrated:mad:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back