Panasonic TC-50S60D & TH-50S60D, 2 Different TVs?

Agni

Guys,
I just discovered something today when I demoed the Panasonic TH-P50S60D.

This Plasma has only a web-browser with NO built-in Apps. So, if one wants to watch Youtube, then we need to open it from the web-browser.

That would also be fine, but there is another issue. Youtube videos which need Adobe Flash player to run will NOT run on this TV, which means that very much most of the Youtube videos won't run.

Now this confused me, because I was dead sure that there are 6 Apps running on the 50S60D including Youtube as per the review I had read on CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35558333.html

That's when I discovered that these are two different TVs!

The one reviewed on CNET which has Youtube loaded is the Panasonic TC-P50S60

And the one available in India is the Panasonic TH-P50S60 and this does NOT have any apps loaded and does NOT run youtube videos which need Adobe.

In fact the Panasonic TH-P50S60 doesn't even seem to be reviewed on CNET.

Guys, what is your take on this, have I missed out on anything?

Thanks!

Guys,
I just discovered something today when I demoed the Panasonic TH-P50S60D.

This Plasma has only a web-browser with NO built-in Apps. So, if one wants to watch Youtube, then we need to open it from the web-browser.

That would also be fine, but there is another issue. Youtube videos which need Adobe Flash player to run will NOT run on this TV, which means that very much most of the Youtube videos won't run.

Now this confused me, because I was dead sure that there are 6 Apps running on the 50S60D including Youtube as per the review I had read on CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35558333.html

That's when I discovered that these are two different TVs!

The one reviewed on CNET which has Youtube loaded is the Panasonic TC-P50S60

And the one available in India is the Panasonic TH-P50S60 and this does NOT have any apps loaded and does NOT run youtube videos which need Adobe.

In fact the Panasonic TH-P50S60 doesn't even seem to be reviewed on CNET.

Guys, what is your take on this, have I missed out on anything?

Thanks!

Features vary , some apps are missing and yes video playing capability in the browser is limited. Just Google it up or read reviews on amazon.

Amazon.com: Panasonic TC-P50S60 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV: Electronics

go through the above link, should help.

Features vary , some apps are missing and yes video playing capability in the browser is limited. Just Google it up or read reviews on amazon.

Amazon.com: Panasonic TC-P50S60 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV: Electronics

go through the above link, should help.

Dushie, the Amazon link you have sent reviews the TC-50S60D. This is the one reviewed by CNET too and has youtube, netflix etc under its "Online Movies" network connectivity.

But the 50S60D available in India is TH-50S60D, not TC-50S60D, and it does not seem to have youtube etc, just a vanilla web browser which does not play youtube videos which need Adobe as demoed by me today in Mumbai!

agni both are same models with different model names....and of course there will be difference in specifications and features between models launched in different countries....sammy 5500 is a good tv but between s60 and 5500 my choice would be the s60 because of
1.better blacks
2.better colours
3.better brightness
4.better SD
5.better HD because of better blacks and better colours....take a demo and decide......
having said this i should also say that the st60 is much better than the s60..
and regarding youtube videos you can always get a bluray player for that......

agni both are same models with different model names....and of course there will be difference in specifications and features between models launched in different countries....sammy 5500 is a good tv but between s60 and 5500 my choice would be the s60 because of
1.better blacks
2.better colours
3.better brightness
4.better SD
5.better HD because of better blacks and better colours....take a demo and decide......
having said this i should also say that the st60 is much better than the s60..
and regarding youtube videos you can always get a bluray player for that......

yes, i don't think you should worry about smart features, get 50s60 and get a blu ray player that has streaming options with usb port. Also please make sure that the room where you put the TV has good option of light control as there is no AR filter in the TV and it would reflect a lot. Also if the room is very bright the picture would be dull . In a dark room this would work well.

yes, i don't think you should worry about smart features, get 50s60 and get a blu ray player that has streaming options with usb port. Also please make sure that the room where you put the TV has good option of light control as there is no AR filter in the TV and it would reflect a lot. Also if the room is very bright the picture would be dull . In a dark room this would work well.

Dushie, s60 does streaming just fine. It has dlna and wireless support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Streaming of HD YouTube and from android devices works great.

yep, it does streaming fine, but thats the end to it, you cant do much with the browser, it does not have any apps for youtube, netflix . A media player attached to the TV would bring in most of the smart functionality that is missing at a low cost.

Manufacturers often have slightly different model numbers and features on what are basically very similar models in different regions of the world. From what I understand, its TC in the USA, TX in Europe and TH in India. This is nothing unusual.
Take for example the E6. The European model has headphone jack and SD card slot whereas the Indian model does not.
Net connectivity is given high importance in the USA and not so much in India.

Dushie, s60 does streaming just fine. It has dlna and wireless support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Streaming of HD YouTube and from android devices works great.

The S60 does do streaming fine, but on youtube it cannot play videos which need Flash player to run, which pretty much means most of the youtube videos, that's where the issue is!

The S60 does do streaming fine, but on youtube it cannot play videos which need Flash player to run, which pretty much means most of the youtube videos, that's where the issue is!

Again, it all depends on how you want to play the video.

The browser has no flash support. Even other wise it is a pathetic attempt for a browser. I tried it for a total of 2 mins, and never bothered about it again.

As I have mentioned earlier, you can still stream youtube or any other video over dlna. I stream the youtube videos all the time from my nexus 4. if you have a android mobile phone or tab, then bubbleupnp is all that is required. below are the apps that I use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.unlocker

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.sempervidlinksFree

Plays HD youtube videos just fine.

Again, it all depends on how you want to play the video.

The browser has no flash support. Even other wise it is a pathetic attempt for a browser. I tried it for a total of 2 mins, and never bothered about it again.

As I have mentioned earlier, you can still stream youtube or any other video over dlna. I stream the youtube videos all the time from my nexus 4. if you have a android mobile phone or tab, then bubbleupnp is all that is required. below are the apps that I use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.unlocker

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.sempervidlinksFree

Plays HD youtube videos just fine.

Krishna, I did finally go in for the S60 because of the better home theatre experience of the 50 inch S60 over the superior PQ 42 inch GT50 which was my other choice.

Thanks a lot for your inputs above, I will definitely be using it when required :)

Krishna, I did finally go in for the S60 because of the better home theatre experience of the 50 inch S60 over the superior PQ 42 inch GT50 which was my other choice.

Thanks a lot for your inputs above, I will definitely be using it when required :)

Sure. Feel free to ask question. Will help if possible.

Just now was streaming my daughters bday pics taken in my phone. Family was enjoying it.

Dlna with wireless has been really useful. Just make sure you have 8mbps and a 300n router.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back