Panasonic TH-55FX650D UHD 55" HDR 10 TV

vbhoj74

Hi Guys, I bought the Panasonic after trading in the VU FHD 55" on Amazon.

After three months of usage, I'm going to write my experience and not much on the specs.

The TV has HDR 10 with local dimming, but local dimming is not pixel dimming, it just dims the entire screen instead, useless feature, but I still use it to minimize the black uniformity defects explained below.

When I first got my Pana TV, the black uniformity (clouding) was awful, I thought maybe it is with one particular unit. I returned it to Amazon and they sent me another unit. This was little better but was still plagued with both black uniformity (clouding) and grey uniformity (dirty screen effect). But at the price that I bought, I thought lets just accept it. After three months of use, I had black patches on top corners of the screen (See the pic here). I complained to Panasonic about the patch & clouding. They took the TV to their workshop, said dust has gone into the panel, cleaned it & gave me back claiming to resolve both the issues. The black patch was gone but the clouding remains. All the pics I've uploaded is after they have fixed the TV, this along with old pics are there in my Amazon review.

Panasonic closed my support ticket at their end even after I told the support engineer to keep the ticket open and did not sign the satisfaction letter. I had to escalate the matter, they either ignore the issue all together or claim that the amount of uniformity is acceptable. Had it been a Chinese brand, or VU, I would have just accepted, but a brand like Panasonic, they need to better their offering. I understand that both black & grey uniformity will be there in every LED TV, but the amount varies of how well the panel is made. Sadly, this amount of uniformity is unacceptable. The 55" VU which I exchanged for this TV was way better and I never found these uniformity coming in way of my viewing experience.

More details on both the issues here:

https://goo.gl/oFND4L
https://goo.gl/oFND4L

In my suggestion, their TVs do not justify the price tag, I would rather spend somewhere else.

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_175919.jpg
    IMG_20190121_175919.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20190121_205728.jpg
    IMG_20190121_205728.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20190121_205736.jpg
    IMG_20190121_205736.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190121_205958.jpg
    IMG_20190121_205958.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190123_105027.jpg
    IMG_20190123_105027.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190121_175919.jpg
    IMG_20190121_175919.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the review. Panasonic 4k tv was my intial choice after TCL 4k. From what I've read so far about LED TVs, it's always a panel lottery no matter what brand. Good after sales service is important.

Update: Panasonic raised their hands saying all of their units will have the same back light uniformity issues, so I tried my best to calibrate & use BIAS lighting to minimize the issue & improve viewing as much possible.

This is the 1st image, with picture settings almost out of the box.

The 2nd image is after I calibrated the picture settings:

And Finally the calibrated picture with BIAS lighting:

Below is the calibration settings I made, in case someone wan't to make use of the same.

SDR:
Picture Profile Cinema
Backlight 35
Contrast 54
Brightness 0
Sharpness 10
Color 46
Tint 0
Color temp Warm2
Vivid color Off
Adaptive Backlight Control mid
Ambient sensor On/Off
Noise reduction auto
MPEG Remaster Off
Resolution Remaster auto
Dynamic Range Remaster Off
Intelligent Frame Control Off
Clear Motion Off
Advanced Contrast Control Off
Color Gamut Normal
Screen Settings 16:9 Overscan Off
White Balance R-Gain +4
G-Gain 0
B-Gain 0
R-Cutoff p
G-Cutoff 0
B-Cutoff 0
Gama 1.9
Color management
R lum -2

HDR:
Picture Profile True cinema
Backlight 40
Contrast 81
Brightness +4
Sharpness 30
Color 60
Tint 0
Color temp Warm2
Vivid color On
Rec2920 on
Adaptive Backlight Control mid
HDR brightness off
HDR Brightness enhancer 15
Ambient sensor :Off
Noise reduction off
MPEG Remaster Off
Resolution Remaster auto
Dynamic Range Remaster Off
Intelligent Frame Control Off
Clear Motion Off
Advanced Contrast Control off
Color Gamut - X
White Balance R-Gain -5
G-Gain 0
B-Gain 0
R-Cutoff -0
G-Cutoff 0
B-Cutoff 0
Gama 1.8
Screen Settings 16:9 Overscan Off
Color management
R hue -1
R sat -2
R lum -1

Attachments

• Gautham1.jpeg
    Gautham1.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for sharing. Very nice of you.

Can you explain the zero brightness in SDR. And how do you manage two settings for SDR and HDR seperately.

All brands seem to be plagued by the panel failures. That's why I bought the cheapest 55 I could lay hands 1.5 years ago. It was a Kodak, running well till date and the response from Jeeves (Flipkart) was very good till date. I had one small issue that was immediately sorted out. My plasma is still running well after 6 years and hope to keep it running as long as I can.

Hi,

Brightness 0 is actually the default mid position in the settings, you can tune it to either negative & positive values.

The TV gives you option to set both SDR & HDR content settings. There is a plethora of detail settings one can do.

I agree with you on the panel quality issues, I've bad experience myself with Sony, which is why I later bought VU, and I got a good deal for this TV in exchange of the 4 yr old VU, it landed me 40k, which was exactly my budget.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back