Panasonic V20 & VT20

Another thing... the guy at the Panasonic brandshop told me that if I bought my PDP from Bombay, I wouldn't be able to get my free wall mount.
Nonsense, Panasonic people themselves came and mounted my TV. The mount was supplied with the TV itself.

He also told me that I won't get immediate service in Bangalore if the unit was bought from Bombay. He said i'll have to wait for anywhere between 4 days to a week to get someone to come take a look at my TV.
One more example of some more oral EXCRETA. Really. Do they think we are THIS dumb?

Sounds like a bunch of bull crap... any thoughts?
No thoughts man, just expletives.

@FM... lol

Apparently they do think we're THAT dumb.

So let me get this straight... the wall mount came along with the TV itself?

That's quite different from what I've seen here in B'lore. Here the guys at the store don't give you the wall mount. Once you buy the TV somebody from the respective company calls you to fix an appointment and they bring the free wall mount with them.

That's atleast what I know to be true with both Sony and Samsung and based on what the guy told me at the Panasonic brandshop, it seems the same applies to Panasonic as well.

I got my wall mount along with BOTH panasonic TVs. One was an S10 LCD and the other a V20. The installation guys came later and just mounted.

6k more will get you the V20 if you drive down to Mumbai ;-)

Frank,

I can certainly drive down to MUMBAI,but will I not have to pay OCTRIO tax again while entering PUNE ? Is it possible to safely carry that PLASMA from MUMBAI to PUNE in a swift ?

But @ 64K i will get SAMSUNG 40C630 LCD tv which will play all video formats inherently. Does V20 has this feature ? Else i will have to purchase WDTV separately.

Last edited:
Also, I'd like to make sure that they don't stick me with a display unit. Can any of you let me know how to access the Service Menu and check out the Usage time of the display?

Here is how to check the panel ON time (number of hours used) for panasonic V20D plasmas. Just be careful not to change any setting while doing this. I have tried this many times and it worked fine for me.

1- Hold down V- on the TV and press "RECALL" button 3 times on the remote
2- Press 2 to get to SRV-TOOL
3- Press OK to Enter
4- Navigate to Bottom Right Hand Cell using the Directional Buttons on remote
5- Hold Down "Mute" for a Few Seconds and that is it............ used hours and number of times the panel is switched ON will be displayed in the same row.
6- Press "EXIT" for few seconds to come out of this menu (The TV will reboot).

It does not erase any of your settings. BE VERY CAREFUL AND DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTING IN THE SERVICE MENU WHILE PERFORMING THESE STEPS.

Frank,

I can certainly drive down to MUMBAI,but will I not have to pay OCTRIO tax again while entering PUNE ? Is it possible to safely carry that PLASMA from MUMBAI to PUNE in a swift ?

But @ 64K i will get SAMSUNG 40C630 LCD tv which will play all video formats inherently. Does V20 has this feature ? Else i will have to purchase WDTV separately.

you most certainly will have to pay octroi if you have a swift. It's easy to smuggle goods across in a slightly larger vehicle. LOL.
Besides, the42V20 DOESN'T play mkv and other high def formats other than divx hd (which I havent seen many of) so you might have trouble there. why not spend about 68k and get a Samsung C550 that is HUGE, plays all formats very well and has decent picture quality.

Here is how to check the panel ON time (number of hours used) for panasonic V20D plasmas. Just be careful not to change any setting while doing this. I have tried this many times and it worked fine for me.

3- Press OK to Enter
5- Hold Down "Mute" for a Few Seconds and that is it............ used hours and number of times the panel is switched ON will be displayed in the same row.

It does not erase any of your settings. BE VERY CAREFUL AND DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTING IN THE SERVICE MENU WHILE PERFORMING THESE STEPS.

And I think the service guys can reset this value. I advise you ask the store guy to show the unit to you at the store itself. Also check the mfg and import date. If these dates are recent, you are somewhat sure that you are getting unused unit.

When they were taking unit back, they cleaned it using paper napkins to erase finger touch marks etc. and packed it neatly, I suspect they would keep the unit back in the store to resell.

As usual I also suspected that if I am getting any returned unit, as the box was opened already. They told me they have to open the box as I am expecting the unit without any (cosmetic) defects.

They gave me only the TV, and asked me to keep all other from previous unit. They took my old TV (one week) in the new box. I checked the TV run time it is close to zero (12 minutes, as I checked after running the TV fo few minutes). My TV was imported in August, so I was little happy that it might be the new one.

i am also planning to buy 40" or 42" HD tv
i hav budget of 70k
i mostly watch movies n viewing distance is between 8 feet to 14 feet
panasonic p42v20 looks good but saw a review on cnet which says that after long term use panasonic plasma loses black levels. somewhere after 1000 hrs of use.
Follow-up: Panasonic plasma black-level loss measured in long-term test | Crave - CNET

i cud see in variuos reviews ppl appreciate pioneer kuro plasma which is acquired by panasonic recently. but panasonic uses kuro only for VT model which 3D tv.

pioneer still uses kuro? are they better than panasonic plasma?
how much pioneer will cost in delhi?

i am also planning to buy 40" or 42" HD tv
i hav budget of 70k
i mostly watch movies n viewing distance is between 8 feet to 14 feet
For that budget, your should go and simply buy the Samsung 50C550. From a viewing distance of 8 - 14 feet, you are not going to benefit from the Full HD of the Panasonic V20 in a 42" size. Buy the Samsung 50C550, I promise you will not regret it.

Finally panasonic has come out with a 65" plasma in the indian market. The model launched is the 3D VT20. The mind boggling price is Rs 3.79 lacs (Rs 3.59 lacs under exchange)

I would seriously wonder for any takers at this price...

today i bought 42" V20....i set it up myself and started using
is there anything that need to be taken care off while initial hrs...
as i read on this website that there things to be takekn care

and what is multi window PAT..

its a let down that mkv wont play on V20 as most of bluray rip off on net are MKV only

congrats !
How much was the cost and How much is warranty offered .
Runs break in slides for initial hours. search threads you will get it easily in details.
Most of the tvs dont play MKV so dont get disappointed. Even my ps3 sometimes doesnt :(

where is V buton on the TV.

3- Press OK to Enter

i had a demo of vt20 at inorbit mall when i went to buy 50x20 it was playing astroboy 3d. i told them to put on THX mode but they didnt had remote. anyways it was real fun to watch it on 3D nice PQ its indeed the best TV of the year better than indian V series "infinite black pro" sets it apart from V series. sad part was 1) glasses were not comfortable 2) my eyes registered flashes i dnt knw whats the specific technical term but there were irritating flashes. 3) started having motion sickness in just 1min of 3D viewing. i do get very minor motion sickness in theaters too but not until intervals.

there are green pixels all over the black color whrever there is black on screen...how to fix that... also the whole screen is coming up little geen..kindly help with settings

Bump

This was my first thread here guys!

If anyone would have told me I would have gotten a VT20 for 75k last year, I would have spat out a lung laughing, and yet exactly 1 year from the day that I made the first post in this thread, I got a VT25 :D

Cheers to HFV & it's members!

EDIT: Sorry that's a VT20 :p (my bad)

Last edited:
Bump

This was my first thread here guys!

If anyone would have told me I would have gotten a VT20 for 75k last year, I would have spat out a lung laughing, and yet exactly 1 year from the day that I made the first post in this thread, I got a VT25 :D

Cheers to HFV & it's members!

Yep. Most of my Import from Bangkok friends fell off their collective chairs.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back