Panasonic V20 & VT20

satan

Hey fellas,

First time poster here, long time reader. This place really helped my decision between an LCD and a Plasma.

I've decided to go in for a Panasonic V Series Plasma but now I'm in the middle of a huge dilemma.

1) The best price I got for the P42V20 is 60k & 100k for the P50V20. Since you guys are the pros here, does that extra 8" really justify such a large difference in price? I'm pretty sure I could convince the delaer to give me 2 x P42V20 for another 10k. I really really want the biggest screen I can get, but I need to know from you guys if it's really worth the extra cash. I'm definitely not looking at any of the other 50" budget plasmas.

2) What about the VT series? Do any of you guys here have it? The dealer is willing to give me one for 165k. I'm wondering wether I should just suck it up and buy this one. Afterall the reviews for this PDP are great.

3) I keep reading here about how Panasonic keeps giving us Indians the shaft by giving us lesser features for a higher price compared to the same models being sold internationally. One example of this that I have noticed is in the VT series. In the UK the same VT20 comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses and a Wi-Fi dongle. Are there any other differences that I should know about? Also, what about the V20? How does the one being sold in India differ from the ones sold abroad?

4) When you buy a Sony or a Samsung LCD , the service center calls you and offers to install a free wall mount. Is that something that Panasonic does as well?

5) I want to pick up one of these ASAP, but if you guys think it would be better to wait it out till Diwali hits, then please let me know what kind of discounts I can expect. Also if you guys know of any better pricing available through delaers in Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai, please do let me know.

6) What about Grey Market options for Panasonic PDP's. How cheap would they be compared to what Panasonic India sells? and does Panasonic honor international warranties?

Wow... that's a lot of questions! Any help would be appreciated guys.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey fellas,

First time poster here, long time reader. This place really helped my decision between an LCD and a Plasma.

I've decided to go in for a Panasonic V Series Plasma but now I'm in the middle of a huge dilemma.

1) The best price I got for the P42V20 is 60k 100k for the P50V20. Since you guys are the pros here, does that extra 8" really justify such a large difference. I'm pretty sure I convince the delaer to give me 2 x P42V20 for another 10k. I really really want the biggest screen I can get, but I need to know from you guys if it's really worth the extra cash. I'm definitely not look at any of the other 50" budget plasmas.

2) What about the VT series. Do of you guys here have it? The dealer is willing to give me one of 165k. I'm wondering wether I just suck it up and buy this one. Afterall the reviews for this PDP are great.

3) I keep reading here about how Panasonic keeps giving us Indians the shaft by giving us lesser features for a higher price compared to the same models being sold internationally. One example of this that I have noticed is in the VT series. In the UK the same VT20 comes with 2 pairs of 3D glases and a Wi-Fi dongle. Are there any other differences that I should know about. Also, what about the V20? How does the one being sold in India differ from the ones sold abroad?

4) When you buy a Sony or a Samsung LCD , the service center calls you and offers to install a free wall mount. Is that something that Panasonic does as well?

5) I want to pick up one of these ASAP, but if you guys think it would be better to wait it out till Diwali hits, then please let me know what kind of discounts I can expect. Also if you guys know of any better pricing available through delaers in Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai, please do let me know.

6) What about Grey Market options for Panasonic PDP's. How cheap would they be compared to what Panasonic India sells? and does Panasonic honor international warranties?

Cheers

Hello Satan ,you buy from panasonic authorised dealer in shops,

- One thing that is missing in V20 in Indian model is THX

- THe 60K and 100K for 42 and 50 models, I think are best prices. At least for 42" it is almost steal these days, if you are talking about prices in Bangalore.

- I do not see any reason for you to wait till Diwali given the price quotes you have got.

- And I am not sure if you can really compare prices vs sizes here. If you think you need 50", I suggest you go for 50". Otherwise you would regret later. Many of the fellow members suggested to go for biggest size that you can afford.

Biggest is not always the best!

It should be based on the viewing distance. You will hate a big size TV with low viewing distance. Search for distance/size chart I had posted in our forum. That you will give you a good idea.

Hey fellas,

Ok. I'm not an expert or a videophile or something, But I will try to share some of my knowledge and experience.

1) The best price I got for the P42V20 is 60k 100k for the P50V20. Since you guys are the pros here, does that extra 8" really justify such a large difference. I'm pretty sure I convince the delaer to give me 2 x P42V20 for another 10k. I really really want the biggest screen I can get, but I need to know from you guys if it's really worth the extra cash. I'm definitely not look at any of the other 50" budget plasmas.

Which city are you from ? I think you got the best price for V20. I bought it for 67K in Pune a couple of weeks ago. Bigger is definitely better, but you need to share your viewing distance. Also you need to tell us your viewing stats. i.e. % of SD viewing and % of HD viewing. If you are too close to the screen (say 5 feet), you can still enjoy HD content but SD content may not look as great. Mine is a 42" and I cannot see SD content closer than 5 feet. I guess this effect will be further magnified for a 50".

2) What about the VT series. Do of you guys here have it? The dealer is willing to give me one of 165k. I'm wondering wether I just suck it up and buy this one. Afterall the reviews for this PDP are great.

I think the only difference between VT and V is the 3D capability. In my opinion it is not worth the price difference. Also we don't have a 3D DTH yet. (At least I am not aware of). Even HD providers have less than 5 channels in HD as on today. If you are concerned about "future proofing", its your choice. But I think its a very long way for 3D broadcast in India. Also I dont think there are a lot of 3D BDs available as yet. My suggestion - Stay away from VT as yet. If you are thinking of buying 2 plasmas, you could possibly wait and buy the other plasma after the 3D technology is set well.

3) I keep reading here about how Panasonic keeps giving us Indians the shaft by giving us lesser features for a higher price compared to the same models being sold internationally. One example of this that I have noticed is in the VT series. In the UK the same VT20 comes with 2 pairs of 3D glases and a Wi-Fi dongle. Are there any other differences that I should know about. Also, what about the V20? How does the one being sold in India differ from the ones sold abroad?
Hmm. true. The V20 sold abroad has got a THX certification I guess. BTW the WiFi dongle is available for around $100. You need to import it though. I would suggest to buy from UK/USA. I baught from Japan (11000 JPY) and it was costlier than US/UK (100 USD)

Yes Panasonic provides free wall installation service including the wall bracket. Should you choose to alter the installation location afterwards, they provide the service for Rs 750/-. They won't repair the previous wall though.

They may have some offers in Diwali. If you have already waited, I suggest wait some more time till Diwali. But its your choice. I too had planned to wait till Diwali, but could not stop myself :)

No idea about this. But I won't recommend this.

Cheers
Hope this was helpful.

Biggest is not always the best!

It should be based on the viewing distance. You will hate a big size TV with low viewing distance. Search for distance/size chart I had posted in our forum. That you will give you a good idea.

Sorry, but couldn't agree lesser on that comment,atleast in the few cases i have come across....even at a viewing distance of 6 feet, i feel it just perfect with a 50" TV.Actually, i move the couch more towards the TV to reduce the viewing distance when watching movies,from around 9 feet to 6feet.

@ Imran, Anand, ASDFKLG

Thank you so very much. You guys have been extremly helpful.

Let me answer a few questions that you have.

1) The pricing that I mentioned above is from a dealer in Bombay. He even ships to other parts of India. Really nice guy. If anyone wants more info please PM me. I'm not at liberty to openly give out his details.

2) Viewing distance: My living room is almost 30' long. Depending on the arrangement of the furniture from time to time the viewing distance could be anywhere between 14 - 25 feet. After reading all your posts, suddenly that seems like a lot for even a 50 incher.

3) Content: Honestly no one here watches any TV except for my folks who already have a 32" Sony LCD downstairs. I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to say it, I need something to fill up an empty wall after some recent renovation at home :D. Ok, it's not as bad as it sounds. This Display will be used only for HD content (BD Rips off my networked drives). Of course there will be a few times when I'd probably like to watch a match or two on it or some HD content made available by the likes of Sun and the others. Watching SD content is highly doubtful. PS3 gaming is a priority and is definitely something I will start to do more often after getting this PDP. Your thoughts?

4) 3D: It seems like such an awesome thing to have, but in reality where do you see this stuff going as far as movies are concerned. After Avatar I can literally count the movies on one hand that came out in 3D. The main reason I'm considering this is because of the 3D gaming side of things. Sony will be coming out with a firmware update for 3D on existing consoles. How they are going to manage to do that when the basic requirement for 3D is HDMI 1.4 beats me. The PS3 has HDMI 1.3. These were just some of the thoughts floating around in my head. Does it always have to be a hard choice to enjoy these things :p

5) Wi-Fi: I don't know if this will help but you guys should certainly check out the WNCE2001 from Netgear. It's an Universal Wi-Fi Adapter for any LCD / PDP that has basic LAN (Ethernet) connectivity and is definitely cheaper than any manufacturer's propreitary dongle system. Amazon.com sells it for about USD 59.00

Check it out: Universal WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001

Sorry, but couldn't agree lesser on that comment,atleast in the few cases i have come across....even at a viewing distance of 6 feet, i feel it just perfect with a 50" TV.Actually, i move the couch more towards the TV to reduce the viewing distance when watching movies,from around 9 feet to 6feet.

Yep.

Of course buying a right size TV based on viewing distance is a common sense. And every damn thing (room) would have a at least 6 ft length, especially somebody who is going for LCD will definitely have this room, THX recommends 50" TV for 5 ft viewing distance.

Here is the link

Bigger is better, more often than it is not. Very rarely will yolu be faced with a situation where your TV is 'too' large for your viewing distance. As long as you have a viewing distance of atleast '1.2 x' the size of your tv, you are fine. Go big and you will never regret it. Go small and I guarantee you will be wishing you had bought a larger size.

My Two cents, I would go for the VT20 if I were you, Its the best 2d tv in the market at present 3d is just a bonus.

@ Imran, Anand, ASDFKLG

Thank you so very much. You guys have been extremly helpful.

Let me answer a few questions that you have.

1) The pricing that I mentioned above is from a dealer in Bombay. He even ships to other parts of India. Really nice guy. If anyone wants more info please PM me. I'm not at liberty to openly give out his details.

2) Viewing distance: My living room is almost 30' long. Depending on the arrangement of the furniture from time to time the viewing distance could be anywhere between 14 - 25 feet. After reading all your posts, suddenly that seems like a lot for even a 50 incher.

3) Content: Honestly no one here watches any TV except for my folks who already have a 32" Sony LCD downstairs. I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to say it, I need something to fill up an empty wall after some recent renovation at home :D. Ok, it's not as bad as it sounds. This Display will be used only for HD content (BD Rips off my networked drives). Of course there will be a few times when I'd probably like to watch a match or two on it or some HD content made available by the likes of Sun and the others. Watching SD content is highly doubtful. PS3 gaming is a priority and is definitely something I will start to do more often after getting this PDP. Your thoughts?

4) 3D: It seems like such an awesome thing to have, but in reality where do you see this stuff going as far as movies are concerned. After Avatar I can literally count the movies on one hand that came out in 3D. The main reason I'm considering this is because of the 3D gaming side of things. Sony will be coming out with a firmware update for 3D on existing consoles. How they are going to manage to do that when the basic requirement for 3D is HDMI 1.4 beats me. The PS3 has HDMI 1.3. These were just some of the thoughts floating around in my head. Does it always have to be a hard choice to enjoy these things :p

5) Wi-Fi: I don't know if this will help but you guys should certainly check out the WNCE2001 from Netgear. It's an Universal Wi-Fi Adapter for any LCD / PDP that has basic LAN (Ethernet) connectivity and is definitely cheaper than any manufacturer's propreitary dongle system. Amazon.com sells it for about USD 59.00

Check it out: Universal WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001

- You should definitely go for 50".
- Between V20 and T20, it depends on your affordability. A guy paying more for a new technology is a hero, as he (his money) drives the innovation and employment for others.

Netgear WNDA3100v2 is compatible with Panasonic HD TVs. This WiFi dongle is also listed on Netgear India website, but when I checked with retailers in Bangalore, they said it is not yet released in India.

Satan: 14 to 25 feet is a little too much for tolerance sake. If you could be a bit precise, I think you can get better answers. Still my views:

I personally feel that if your viewing distance is more than 18 feet, then you should go for a projector considering your viewing preferences > PS3 and HD rips and little regular TV watching.

PS3 would be so much fun plus you would be able to read a lot of in game menus and other stuff during the game that would be difficult on a 50" from 25 feet!!

So, what do you loose when you buy a projector????? Depending on the number of hours of using the same, you might burn your lamp quickly compared to Tv and you might have to buy a new one for 15-20k. But, you should weigh this with the amount of fun you can have on 120" screen!!! Still 2000 hours min is good enough time- i feel. Plus the way technology is moving, you might buy a new projector soon after the lamp dies!!!!

I shall give you an example. I went to a client place to give a demo. Just a day before, he had installed a Samsung 50" plasma behind his 100" screen. He has been using a screen and projector for a few years. He perhaps wanted to save on the bulb life or wanted a full HD picture, so he installed the full HD Tv. It took him just one week to realize that TV is not fit for him. His viewing distance was 15 feet and and uses PS3 for HD video and games.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I finally manged to track down a Panasonic Brandshop that has the P50V20. I had never seen one till date for real. Boy, oh, boy do those 8" make a difference compared to the 42 incher!! It's pretty big. It's no more a question of "Is this The ONE?" but about when to get it. I'm finding it extremely hard to wait till Diwali for better offers, but I guess i'll try and keep it together till then.

I got a quote of 1.07L. I'm still trying to get them to bring it down. They're bundling sunglasses and some watches with it, which of course I asked them to keep and just give me a bigger discount on the PDP ;)

If anyone else is looking to make a Panasonic buy in Bangalore anytime soon, let me know so we can definitely work out a bigger discount.

I just wish the VT was around for a more sane price.

Last edited:
Another thing... the guy at the Panasonic brandshop told me that if I bought my PDP from Bombay, I wouldn't be able to get my free wall mount.

He also told me that I won't get immediate service in Bangalore if the unit was bought from Bombay. He said i'll have to wait for anywhere between 4 days to a week to get someone to come take a look at my TV.

Sounds like a bunch of bull crap... any thoughts?

Oh BTW, can you believe these guys had no HD content for me to watch except some upscaled program on Discovery?

I'd like to take some HD content with me tomorrow. Can I just load up my pen drive with a few MKV and M2TS vids, stick it in the P50V20's USB and expect it to play?

It would be nice if some of the owners here can indicate what formats work. I've seen the official spec sheet but somehow it doesn't give me the full picture.

If it does play these formats, how smooth is the playback? Is it as good as a standalone player? What about seeking (Fast Forwarding and Rewinding?)

Also, I'd like to make sure that they don't stick me with a display unit. Can any of you let me know how to access the Service Menu and check out the Usage time of the display?

Last edited:
At least my 42 V20 (card board) says it support DivxHD. I have tried playing 1080P XVID, it works fine and smooth. Also it supports only AC3 (Dolby Digital) and doesn't support DTS. I have connected V20 to my home theater using digital optical cable, AC3 output looks good.

It doesn't support h.264 which is getting popular these days especially for 1080P content.

Like many people advised on this forum, it is better to get a good media player rather than trying to find TV that supports more formats.

As of now I am finding SD/USB ports useful only for playing the break-in images.

@asdflkg

A media player or an HTPC is definitely something I will get. The reason I was asking about the TV's supported formats is so that I can check some content at the store since they don't seem to have any HD content available with them.

HI Guys,

I am planning to buy Panasonic P50 V20 plasma, which is FULL HD(1920x 1080 res). I believe in india currently there is no FULL HD digital telecaste, and how would this full HD TV going to View the digital channels in india. Does it more pixel?Does it smooth and watchable?

Thanks

I am planning to buy Panasonic P50 V20 plasma, which is FULL HD(1920x 1080 res). I believe in india currently there is no FULL HD digital telecaste
As I said in my reply to your PM, HD TV or as you term it Full HD (1920 x 1080i) services were launched in India almost a year back. There are currently 'three' HD channels already available. These are 'Discovery HD World', 'National Geographic HD' & 'Doordarshan HD'. Additionaly event based HD channels have been available for events such as the IPL, FIFA World Cup, Wimbeldon, T20 Champions Trophy etc. Currently the India - Australia Test cricket series is also being shown in HD as will the forthcoming Asian Games and the Cricket World Cup. The Commonwealth Games starting on Sunday the 3rd of October, will also be shown in HD on the Doordarshan HD channel. Bottom line is, HD in India is already a reality now and will only get more pervasive and popular in the future. The quality of the HD channels is top notch.
how would this full HD TV going to View the digital channels in india. Does it more pixel?Does it smooth and watchable?
The V20 will display the digital channels better than or atleast as well as any other TV in it's price range.

Waiting for DIWALI, to see what would be the lowest price for 42V20D. Fingers crossed. Else will have to settle with 42X20D. My budget is 55K for the TV

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back