Paradigm Monitor 7 vs Wharfedale 10.6

prashu137

Hi
I am setting a dedicated HT in my new house which is currently under construction.The room size is 22.5 X 12 ft.I have seen a lot of demos & finally nailed down between the following 2 setups
Wharfedale setup
DESCRIPTION
Wharfedale 10.6 front speakers
Wharfedale 10.CM centre speakers
Wharfedale 10.DFS surrounds
Wharfedale SPC - 10 subwoofer
Yamaha RXV 673
Total cost 1,58,391.00(need to bargain)

Paradigm set up
Yamaha RX-V673 7.1ch Full HD AV Reciver
Paradigm Monitor 7 Floor Standed Speakers
Paradigm Center C1 Center Speaker
Tannoy Mercury VR Surround Speakers
Velodyne EQ MAX 10 Powered Subwoofer
Total Cost 1,57,921.00

Please suggest me the way forward,Also please suggest some other similar setups which i could evaluate for the same price tag
I was personally impressed with the Paradigm setup

Thank u in advance

I personally like the Paradigm setup-

I was going to suggest a similar setup with Martin Logan Motion series-- but It adds up to substantially more that your target range

While I don't have any experience with 10.6, Denny at bass n treble (delhi), strongly recommended against it as its a 2.5 way speaker. In his opinion both 10.5 and 10.7 are better purchases than 10.6. But since you've had the demo and liked it, that's all what matters in the end.

Btw, is the paradigm price inclusive of discounts or is that mrp?

Being a novice myself, I'm not sure either. The woofers are supposed to better in a 3 way system than a 2.5 way as there is no woofer forced to do both bass and midgrange duties. That was Denny's explanation. Sorry if I'm talking all BS here. Other more experienced FMs would be able to better explain it (along with the fact if it holds any significance to being with). :eek:

Its basically like saying a 3 way floorstander is better than a 2 way bookshelf or Coax speaker. Since multiple drivers crossed at different points has to do less work since it is allocated only a fixed set of frequencies

However we all know that this is not true. There are a lot of other variables involved such as the cabinet design, quality of Drivers, Crossover components used etc.

I think he was mostly against 2.5 way when compared to 3way but didn't imply 3 way was better than 2 way. Between the three wharfedale speakers (10.5, 10.6, 10.7, all FS, all multiple drivers, mostly the same cabinet design and sound sig), ie everything else remaining the same, 3way (with its dedicated midrange driver) should give you better performance than 2.5 way. That's my understanding of this.

BS or 2way speakers will be completely different (different brands, design and everything) so he didn't necessarily imply 3 way is better than 2 way. Just that 2.5way wasn't the right way for FS in his opinion (with most everything else remaining the same).

Last edited:
Hi,

Paradigm Setup to me was better than the Wharfedale while auditioning,

Paradigm was more brighter than Warfs and did suit my HT requirement.

regards

Thanks for the reply @Nsinghal
I can still bargain on that price for paradigm,anyways i am planning to go ahead with the paradigm but was thinking of going for the paradigm 9 series /11 series,The guy told me it will cost me another 27k more with the 11 series so i dont think i will go for them

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back