Parasound New Classic Range: Any owners here?

In India one cannot understand the logic pertaining to the rates of customs duties & taxes. Unfortunately most of the AV gear is exorbitantly priced. You actually feel bad that you are shelling out your hard earned money on a product that is available at half the price elsewhere. Besides for what you are paying in India, the next model up in the hierarchy is available elsewhere at that price. The duties & taxes should be logical & reasonable.

What i understand is its not duties and tax , some brands are almost price matched to other markets where as other are just gaining profit on name of duties and taxes.

What i understand is its not duties and tax , some brands are almost price matched to other markets where as other are just gaining profit on name of duties and taxes.

One can understand a total of 15 % of duties + taxes. But in India it is 10 % customs duty + 18 % gst to my knowledge which is humongous. In few cases I do agree that the products are matched around the same price worldwide but in most cases in India is not the same.

For electronics and loudspeakers, customs duty is 30% on landed cost (unit + freight + insurance).
GST not sure, but will not be surprised if it is in the highest slab.
Cheers,
Raghu

For electronics and loudspeakers, customs duty is 30% on landed cost (unit + freight + insurance).
Cheers,
Raghu

I wanted to get speakers from the US since it was available at almost half the rate there. I enquired at Fedex last year in september. According to them it was 10% customs duty + 18 gst at that time. The total cost including freight was touching an insane amount.

Cheers,
Raghu

I thought customs duty apply to invoice value. Meaning customs duty does not apply to freight + insurance.

I might be wrong.

Listening update 1:
I am not really a listener of Jazz. For some reason or the other this art form has eluded me or vice versa.
Whenever I have tried earlier, the music did not draw me in. It may have been due to how my rig sounded.
I always felt a bit of harshness and dismemberment of music with my earlier DAC+pre+pwr+speaker combos.

Last evening, on a whim, I selected a curated playlist on Spotify featuring Thelonious Monk.
And, surprise, I actually managed to listen to Jazz for a couple of hours.
The DAC in the preamp (on OPT input) is a quite warm and mellow sounding.
I felt the DAC/Pre tames a bit of the misbehavior of the Outlaw amps and the edginess of the KEFs.
The notes on the bass (I think it was upright bass) and piano were precise, yet fluid.

Now I guess I have to visit this thread started by FM @Nikhil to educated myself about Jazz artists.

Cheers,
Raghu

System Update 1:
After listening to the new DAC/Pre (Parasound NC 200Pre) in my setup for a couple of weeks, I feel this has been a good upgrade.
At the same time it has provided quite a bit of simplification using HT bypass feature.
I am convinced that a sub, most probably REL T9i or T7i, would be a good addition to the rig.
Because I have monoblocks, adding a single REL will not be possible using high level connect.
Something to do with ground level imbalance and REL does not advocate it.
Using low level connect (from preamp) is still an option. This option gives control of sub operation from remote control.

I have been grappling with these possibilities for a while and decided to leapfrog a bit (actually take a leap of faith).
Getting a power amp from Parasound NC line, the 275v2 (http://parasound.com/275-v2.php).
Another friend, who is coming in Aug, obliged to carry it here.
Placed an order for a B-stock unit at USD400 from https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/

It is a simple 1U power amp with the following specs:
90Wpc into 8 ohms; 150Wpc into 4/2 ohms (Parasound claims it is 2 ohm stable)
20A peak current per channel
Gain control and high pass filter

This will allow me to choose REL sub integration easily using high or low level inputs.
Will update again after the unit lands at my home.
Cheers,
Raghu

can you please share purchase source of Parasound NC 200Pre and price you paid. One of my family member is also coming next month from ny, i may think if i can buy it over UD7007.

Safe and sound hq
They have listing for USD750 open box.
Call and find out how much new unit costs.
I got mine for USD780

UD7007 is a Blu-ray player
NC 200Pre is a preamp with DAC.
Dunno how one can replace the other.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi, what
System Update 1:
After listening to the new DAC/Pre (Parasound NC 200Pre) in my setup for a couple of weeks, I feel this has been a good upgrade.
At the same time it has provided quite a bit of simplification using HT bypass feature.
I am convinced that a sub, most probably REL T9i or T7i, would be a good addition to the rig.
Because I have monoblocks, adding a single REL will not be possible using high level connect.
Using low level connect (from preamp) is still an option. This option gives control of sub operation from remote control.

I have been grappling with these possibilities for a while and decided to leapfrog a bit (actually take a leap of faith).
Getting a power amp from Parasound NC line, the 275v2 (http://parasound.com/275-v2.php).
Placed an order for a B-stock unit at USD400 from https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/

This will allow me to choose REL sub integration easily using high or low level inputs.
Cheers,
Raghu
Hi, what is B stock mean? Does it have any kind of impact on performance.

<snip>
Hi, what is B stock mean? Does it have any kind of impact on performance.

From the dealer's website
Parasound B-Stock
B-Stock gives audiophile enthusiasts the opportunity to purchase Parasound products at a discounted price. ALL B-stock items are all professionally inspected by Parasound technicians and, most importantly, ALL B-Stock products contain the exact same FULL Parasound manufacturer’s warranty. B-Stock items are gently used or, in many cases, have no working hours at all. Some items were simply used at a convention, a customer return, or simply an open box for display or photography purposes.

At 33% off from list price, I am OK with it as it poses no significant risk. Should not impact performance.
I have bought other demo pieces before and have had no issues.

Cheers,
Raghu

From the dealer's website
Parasound B-Stock
B-Stock gives audiophile enthusiasts the opportunity to purchase Parasound products at a discounted price. ALL B-stock items are all professionally inspected by Parasound technicians and, most importantly, ALL B-Stock products contain the exact same FULL Parasound manufacturer’s warranty. B-Stock items are gently used or, in many cases, have no working hours at all. Some items were simply used at a convention, a customer return, or simply an open box for display or photography purposes.

At 33% off from list price, I am OK with it as it poses no significant risk. Should not impact performance.
I have bought other demo pieces before and have had no issues.

Cheers,
Raghu
Great , does parasound have international warranty?

Great , does parasound have international warranty?

Hi lalit...

The answer is no. They don't offer international warranty. I was specifically reminded this by Mr.Richard Schram when buying my amp in the USA. But that said it is a great company to deal with.. And my email to their support dept regarding warranty and service was answered by Mr.schram himself :)

System Update 1:

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi raghu :)

Glad to see you happy with the parasound . If adding the REL's constitutes the addition of another power amp. Then maybe you should consider rythmik subs too. They have a reputation for being as fast and musical as REL's, and will go much deeper than the REL's mid 30 hz's. Just my 2 cents

Hi lalit...

The answer is no. They don't offer international warranty. I was specifically reminded this by Mr.Richard Schram when buying my amp in the USA. But that said it is a great company to deal with.. And my email to their support dept regarding warranty and service was answered by Mr.schram himself :)
Thanks buddy, i am planning to get 2250 v2 or 2125 v2 from US lets see how it workout.

Hi raghu :)

Glad to see you happy with the parasound . If adding the REL's constitutes the addition of another power amp. Then maybe you should consider rythmik subs too. They have a reputation for being as fast and musical as REL's, and will go much deeper than the REL's mid 30 hz's. Just my 2 cents
Rythmik has been suggested by a couple of FMs here. Will try to find out local pricing.
I have asked around about REL T-series local pricing and they are actually very attractive.
In the ballpark of US/UK MRP, before negotiation. Rarity in audio world for India.

The NC 275v2 is not gonna be an extra amp in the 2-ch rig.
I like the preamp already, it is a keeper. NC 275v2 is a calculated risk.
I just want to explore Parasound Pre + Pwr combo performance at a reasonable price.
If the pairing works well sound-wise, it will visually clean up my setup a wee bit more.
If I find it lacking or "meh", no worries I'll shunt it off to my desktop.

There is a Modi-2 DAC, SYS passive pre from Schiit and an extra pair of MA cubes that are currently orphaned.
Or God knows, I may be crazy enough to try bi-amping the KEFs since Parasound amp has gain control.

Cheers,
Raghu

System Update 2:

Have been evaluating a tube preamp + power amp combo for about a week now.
Lyrita DHT tube preamp and AKSA55 power amp.
FM @jai1611 was kind enough to loan it for a listen. Thanks @jai1611

This was not a planned update; these birdies landed in my home by happenstance.
Another FM @anirudhchandrashekar was evaluating/considering the AKSA power amp.
And he was kinda adamant that I listen to it in my rig/room; thankfully.
It sounded very good. Then I got to know the Lyrita preamp was also up for grabs.
After listening to the combo extensively decided to keep 'em.
The offer was a reasonable one for the sonic signature it brings in.

The alternate chain I have been listening to for about a week is:
Parasound 200Pre (DAC) --> Lyrita DHT tube preamp --> AKSA55 power amp --> KEF R300s

Cheers,
Raghu

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back