Parasound New Classic Range: Any owners here?

Quick update 2:

Parasound 275 v.2 arrived early this morning.
Set the mains to 230V, connected it to Parasound 200Pre, speakers and fired it up.
Initial impression is positive; very clean sound. All controls are at default.
Will listen to it more and post detailed impressions later ...

The unit has probably been used at a trade-show/demo-room in a rack mount config.
Can see a few scuff marks where the rack ears attach themselves to the unit.
At 33% discount from MRP, I will not complain.

Some pics
Parasound-1-sm.jpg Parasound-2-sm.jpg

For a stack that is 5" tall it is not bad at all. It will solve many real and perceived issues at home.

Cheers,
Raghu

Raghupb, don’t place equipment on top of each other. In the photograph, I can see them stacked one on top of another

The preamp is a closed box. No vents. 10W max power consumption.
The power amp has vents (all on top). Neither boxes have any moving parts (at least that I know of).
Anyway this stack arrangement is only temporary.

Cheers,
Raghu

True. But in the final setup, they will all have their own shelves.
I still have some homework to do on my AV rack now :p
Cheers,
Raghu

Quick update 2:

Parasound 275 v.2 arrived early this morning.
Set the mains to 230V, connected it to Parasound 200Pre, speakers and fired it up.
Initial impression is positive; very clean sound. All controls are at default.
Will listen to it more and post detailed impressions later ...

The unit has probably been used at a trade-show/demo-room in a rack mount config.
Can see a few scuff marks where the rack ears attach themselves to the unit.
At 33% discount from MRP, I will not complain.

Some pics
View attachment 37953 View attachment 37954

For a stack that is 5" tall it is not bad at all. It will solve many real and perceived issues at home.

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi, Did you also change the fuse or just switch to 230v from back ?

System Update 2:

Have been evaluating a tube preamp + power amp combo for about a week now.
Lyrita DHT tube preamp and AKSA55 power amp.
FM @jai1611 was kind enough to loan it for a listen. Thanks @jai1611

This was not a planned update; these birdies landed in my home by happenstance.
Another FM @anirudhchandrashekar was evaluating/considering the AKSA power amp.
And he was kinda adamant that I listen to it in my rig/room; thankfully.
It sounded very good. Then I got to know the Lyrita preamp was also up for grabs.
After listening to the combo extensively decided to keep 'em.
The offer was a reasonable one for the sonic signature it brings in.

The alternate chain I have been listening to for about a week is:
Parasound 200Pre (DAC) --> Lyrita DHT tube preamp --> AKSA55 power amp --> KEF R300s

Cheers,
Raghu
Oh wow so bullet is bitten finally. Congratulations.

MaSh

Listening update 2:

For the past couple of days I've been listening to this combo:
CC-Audio/USB --> Parasound NC 200Pre --> Parasound NC 275v.2 Pwr --> KEF R300

The Parasound NC 200Pre is a unit that works well for me in terms of features, performance, price.
It also enables HT and Sub integration, which is the primary reason I got it. Full marks to it from my side.

The latest addition is the stereo power amp (275v.2). It replaces Outlaw Audio M2200 monoblocks.
Now, the stereo power amp was a blind buy to explore an all Parasound pre/pwr setup.
I was hoping for an easy to use, low profile, affordable rig with this pairing.

Does it deliver on synergy? Emphatically, yes.
Does it deliver on sonics? Mostly, yes ... The rest of the post is about this aspect.

Here are my observations mostly on the power amp:
- to put the rest of the points in perspective, I got this unit from US for USD399 (MRP USD595)
- it is squeaky clean and almost neutral sound, no doubt here
- 90W/150W (8/4 ohm) is more than enough for the KEFs/room; compared Outlaws 200W/300W
- it claims 2 ohm stable; FM @anirudhchandrashekar has hungry speakers; a trial soon at his home will tell
- bass/mid-bass is tight and better defined; compared to Outlaw sound (found these loose/slow at times)
- vocals are very good; definitely betters Outlaw sound
- focus, depth, soundstage, imaging, separation of instruments are good
- HF is where there is a "but"; even compared to the muscular Outlaw
- the amp sounds like it is aggressively rolling of HF (maybe even staring earlier in the freq range, I feel)
- doesn't sound dull or anything, but makes you think "Do I want a bit of sparkle up top?"
- played it for 5+ hours over two days in background listening mode
- it just sat there and did what it is supposed to do and let me work in peace, never distracting or calling for attention
- it is only when I sit on the couch and say "Sing to me", I felt there could be a bit of sparkle specially on live tracks
- works very well for the core of my listening preferences, artists, genres
- if anyone is looking for "detail" up top, this amp is not for you
- it is a warm, laid back, "I will not get in your face" amp, in my opinion; maybe a tad polite

Will it stay in my rig? Yes.
For what it brings in terms of aesthetics, convenience, clean delivery of power at the price point, I will not be too anal.
My family will benefit from the pair's simplicity and ease of use.
Again, I emphasize, clean delivery of power from the amp; it has enough under the hood.

When I want to extract a bit more fun, balance, and explore liveliness from the content there is an alternate chain.
Or in a lumped way, different sounding setup.
CC-Audio/USB --> Parasound NC Pre (DAC only) --> Lyrita DHT Tube Pre --> AKSA55 Pwr --> KEF R300s

Cheers,
Raghu

Quick update:

Last evening FM @anirudhchandrashekar and I heard the Parasound NC 275v2 in his rig.
The amp was able to hold its ground quite well given that the PSB Synchronys are not the kindest of loads on power amps.
These are 4 ohm nominal and 2.8 ohm min I think.
@anirudhchandrashekar can comment more as he knows his speakers/rig/room better.

Cheers,
Raghu

As FM @raghupb said, the Parasound range of products are something else! Lovely VFM and good build quality too.

Coming to the sound of the 252v2, it sure can hold its ground firm even at the 2.6ohms or whatever the PSBs I have dive down to. Nasty speakers, them PSBs. The only caveat is the need for a high-current amplifier providing clean power to these puppies. But I don't mind that, for the sound it provides, I am a happy guy!

This tiny 252v2 amp is a perfect amp for the typical laid-back whiskey sipping kind of a sound. Jazz and orchestral music sounds really good since it takes away that extra tingle on the top. So, this lets you push the volume up a notch (I like my music a little loud)

One small thing to note that it rolls it off early, so in a very revealing setup, it might feel like it lacks something on the HFs. Wonder if it would make LPs sound more calm and controlled. But with respect to power, yes, 20amps of current and the claim that it is "unconditionally" stable at 2 ohms is true. But it lacks the grip to hold the PSBs at high volumes even though it is 150w into 4 ohms. But hey, for the size and the price, I would not go complain about it.

Overall, a decent package. Lovely too see @raghupb's setup come alive with all the new equipment!

Cheers!

new parasound pre and power was on display in What HI FI show in Mumbai and sounded great .... can u tell me the prices in India for both ....
Both units were procured in US and carried over.
NC200Pre - $780, NC275v2 - $400
Cheers,
Raghu

System Update 3:
After all the experiments, the rig has been settled to its normal working modes.
Wiring is done so that family members use the main chain for music & TV/movies (see signature).
The alternate chain is to satisfy my whim and will require cable swap (before and after listening sessions).

1565749918002.png

All said, I have thoroughly enjoyed this hunt and fruitful result.
Thanks guys for patiently listening to my journey!!

Cheers,
Raghu

System Update 3:
After all the experiments, the rig has been settled to its normal working modes.
Wiring is done so that family members use the main chain for music & TV/movies (see signature).
The alternate chain is to satisfy my whim and will require cable swap (before and after listening sessions).

View attachment 38225

All said, I have thoroughly enjoyed this hunt and fruitful result.
Thanks guys for patiently listening to my journey!!

Cheers,
Raghu
How is parasound compared to outlaw?

How is parasound compared to outlaw?
Parasaound 275v2 vs Outlaw Monoblocks - A simple comparison

Power capacity
Parasound is 90/150W, Outlaws are 200/300W as per 8/4 Ohm specs.
Is there a perceptible loss in power capability in my system, when "watts" downsizing?
No, it is absolutely fine. Whatever extra muscle was there in the Outlaw was headroom.
Even Parasound has enough headroom for complex pieces of music.

Bass
Parasound does bass better than Outlaws. It is tighter and better defined.
Layers of bass in music sound a bit more separated and crisp.

Vocals
Parasound scores better on vocals as compared to Outlaws. Mid-bass is better too.
I feel that because low/mid bass is tighter, vocals also benefit (harmonics effect?)

Treble/HF
Here I found that Parasound could do better. Especially when listening to live music or grand orchestras.
Is it a flaw? I would not stretch it that far.
Though it is rolled of a bit more aggressively or smoothened up top, overall presentation is still very enjoyable.

Tonal Balance
Parasound is definitely more balanced across the spectrum. Outlaws can sometimes be muddy or noisy or fatiguing.
For the price point, Parasound gets a lot many things right, as compared to Outlaws (maybe even its peers in the market).

Others
Parasound has these features that Outlaws don't have.
- 2 Ohm stable; Amp never even warms up when set to 2-3 Ohm tap; I use this setting
- two sets of speaker terminals; can be simultaneously driven; the 2-ohm capability shines here
- it is bridgeable (200W) for use down to 4 ohms; Outlaws are monoblocks so this is not applicable
- HPF at Off/20Hz/40Hz; I don't use this feature
- Gain control; may be required in a multi amp/speaker or HT set up; I don't use this feature; gain is at max setting
- loop out of preamp signals; useful to daisy chain amps; I don't require this

Hope this clarifies your query.

Edit: Does Parasound amp make Outlaw amps sound bad?
No!! Outlaws are good in their own game. They are fantastic HT amps
For music application, one can picks a few flaws, nothing serious.
The fact that I am re-purposing them should tell you I still like these monoblocks.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
@raghupb any thoughts on newclassic 200 integrated compared to seperate Parasound NC 200 Pre --> Parasound NC 275v.2 Pwr? thanks
On paper it sounds promising. One box that does it all.
I was considering this unit but release date was too far off when I was shopping.
No reviews on the 200INT yet (on the web).

I love the 200PRE. Great value for money. Wonderful DAC section and lots of control options.
275v2 power amp is a mixed bag. It can handle any speaker, even difficult to drive category; 2 ohm stable.
Enough power under the hood 90/150W and clean delivery even at high volume.
I find it a bit mellow for certain genres of music with my KEFs.

Currently, 275v2 is driving a pair of Monitor Audio cubes that are inherently bright/harsh.
So it is a good match for them; used mainly for HT and timepass music listening (when I'm lazy to switch on the other rig).

Cheers,
Raghu

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back