Part Deux..noobs take.. and decision time ( Dalli Lektor 1 Vs Wharfedale 10.1)

M

mpw

Hi,

Finally yesterday and tioday were a day of auditions for me for a pair of fronts ( My AVR HK AVR 255 ).

In brief :-

Dali Lektor 1 - amazed by small size and SQ. The separtation of voice and instruments are amazing ( MRP 22k)

MA BR2 - good in parts. but not as good as Lektor 1 ( MRP 25K )

( Both above were driven by Denon 1610 and heard without subwoofers )

PSB Image B15 - not good SQ. Sounded like a 2 in 1. Maybe the setup at lakozy was not good (MRP 21K )

Wh 9.5 / 10.4 - heard with Yamaha AVR, sounded all mjuddled up with a consolidared ( khichdi ) sound

Wh 10.2 - Good but was 10.1 was wat better i thought. These were driven be Denon 1910 ( minus sub woofer )

The Dalis have an advantage of front port and flush wall mounting. The Wh 10.1 need wall brackets and are cheaper too.

The dalis are 8 ohm, while the 10.1 are 6 ohm. My center and surrounds ( all JBL ) are 8 ohm.

Please let me have your views on dali lektor 1 Vs Wh 10.1. I am OK with pricing on both.

Maybe sometime in 1 year i will have a nice stereo amp too..

PS : the Dali Concept 6 FS are amazing. price 37K MRP. Too high for me. :-((

Mpw

OOO yes Vinod.. very much.. The Dali..

But i must say the WH 10.1 is a close second ( according to my ears )
The price difference is about Rs 7k.

Was thinking whether the 5 inch drivers of the Wh 10.1 will be better than the 4 inch mid/bass drivers of the Dali whenever i decide to go for a stereo amp.

Should that be a criterion ? or just trust my ears and jump for dali Lektor 1 ?

mpw

If i were you, I would forget the driver size, and would happily settle with the speakers that my ears liked.

:)

If i were you, I would forget the driver size, and would happily settle with the speakers that my ears liked.

:)

My hall size is about 18 ft by 16 ft.. should that be a consideration as both the Dali Lektor 1 and Wh 10.1 demos were done in closed rooms ( suitable for audio demos but may not exactly replicate conditions at home )

The Dalis rated at 100W @ 8 ohm while the WH 10.1 are rated at 100 W at 6 ohm. My AVR does 65W @ 8 ohm - stereo. The specs would suggest WH 10.1 to be a closer fit.

Has anyone on this forum tried this combo of Harman Kardon AVR + Dali lektor 1 or WH 10.1 ?

appreciate your inputs..

regards,
mpw

you should also play in your house if possible, with your amp and more important, with your sub.

anm,

thanks for responding.

The demos i heard were all from Denon AVR in Pure Direct Stereo without sub woofers as i wanted to hear the sound from the fronts only.

Unfortunately, the dealer does not do at home demos and it will be difficult to lug my AVR and Sub to the dealers place.

I liked the Dali lektor 1 - very sweet sound and i think the HK AVR's are in general on the brighter side and they should be a good match.

The WH 10.1 are also good - say about 10% more laid back than the Dalis in terms of sound and about 25% laid back in terms of price as well.

The Dalis are directly wall mountable w/o extra brackets.

3 guesses for what I am gonig to recommend :p.......the Usher S520.....Liked it better than everything I heard in the price range. Didn't hear the Dali, so I can't compare, but you're in Bombay and the Ushers are available for audition, so why don't you at least give it a whirl?

We recently had both the Lektor 2 and the S520 side by side on the request from a customer. The Lektor 2 is actually quite nice with a tad bit more bass extension, the mid/vocals are not quite as open but the top extension is pretty good. The 520 shines where the mid/vocals are concerned extending to the upper midrange area. The bass is a tad bit lower than the Lektor 2, the very high freq is a toss up between both.
We didnt spend that much time going back and forth since the customers music interest was mainly hindustani classical, it was a no-brainer for him.

I havent heard the lektor 1, so no guesses on how that will perform.

cheers

We recently had both the Lektor 2 and the S520 side by side on the request from a customer. The Lektor 2 is actually quite nice with a tad bit more bass extension, the mid/vocals are not quite as open but the top extension is pretty good. The 520 shines where the mid/vocals are concerned extending to the upper midrange area. The bass is a tad bit lower than the Lektor 2, the very high freq is a toss up between both.
We didnt spend that much time going back and forth since the customers music interest was mainly hindustani classical, it was a no-brainer for him.

I havent heard the lektor 1, so no guesses on how that will perform.

cheers

Odessey.. you must hear Lektor 1.. amazing man..

The guys said Lektor 2 would sound very different as the drivers are bigger and the impedance is 6 ohm.

Do i have to worry about sub woofer integration problems ( JBL CSS 10 ) with Dalis ( or any other spkr brand for that matter ) and the center speaker being JBL Control now.

I dont want to change these .. as they are quite good currently..

The advantage with Dali lektor 1 is that atleast i would maintain all my speakers at 8 ohm.. thats the least i can do .

mpw

anm,

thanks for responding.

The demos i heard were all from Denon AVR in Pure Direct Stereo without sub woofers as i wanted to hear the sound from the fronts only.

Unfortunately, the dealer does not do at home demos and it will be difficult to lug my AVR and Sub to the dealers place.

I liked the Dali lektor 1 - very sweet sound and i think the HK AVR's are in general on the brighter side and they should be a good match.

The WH 10.1 are also good - say about 10% more laid back than the Dalis in terms of sound and about 25% laid back in terms of price as well.

The Dalis are directly wall mountable w/o extra brackets.

Once you buy it you will learn to love it, so go by practical considerations - do you have room to spare for 1 foot space in rear and from side walls? and 6+K to spend on stands? Then go for Wall mount setup.
Or you could use the money saved on cheaper WF in getting a sub.

cheers

did you compare 10.1 to 9.1? 9.1 won many good reviews, doubt if 10.1 will do the same. :)

Regards

did you compare 10.1 to 9.1? 9.1 won many good reviews, doubt if 10.1 will do the same. :)

Regards

When I compared 9.1 with 10.1, the latter appeared to be possessing
'bright' sound.

(played with Marantz amp and Cambride audio CD player and some JAZZ CD, where music was a bit complicated )

Regards,

When I compared 9.1 with 10.1, the latter appeared to be possessing
'bright' sound.

(played with Marantz amp and Cambride audio CD player and some JAZZ CD, where music was a bit complicated )

Regards,

true vjc.. the 10.1 is brighter than 9.1. I like it that way.

The 9.5 on the other hand was more mellow and not too much to my liking. ( not that its a bad speaker )

mpw

MPW
I am using the Dali Ikon 2 for more then 7- 8 months and am satisfied with the quality, which is still improving day by day. The Lektor should also be a good speakers , but the thing which worries me is your room size. Will a Bookshelf like Lektor be enough for your room size? Please dont compare the Wharfedale with the Dali. The Dali speakers are much better then the Wharf any day. Try auditioning the Ikon series also.

true vjc.. the 10.1 is brighter than 9.1. I like it that way.

The 9.5 on the other hand was more mellow and not too much to my liking. ( not that its a bad speaker )

mpw

The 10.1 bass can be loose if the speaker is not placed carefully on a sturdy stand, away from the rear wall...

Over time, i have heard quite a few speakers. Choosing a speaker is an individual choice. I have heard the PBD Image B15, MA BR2, KEF IQ 10 & 30, Polk Tsi, Dali Concept 6, JBL ES series, Dali Lektor 1 & 2...

My budget was about 20K .. max 25K.. since many times i dont get enough time at home to listen to good music but i still wanted to get a good speaker to satisfy my music listening needs whenever possible. I realised that at a price of 18K.. i was listening to some really good sound.. this M34i...

I thought at length about timbre match with center speaker etc.. but i find that my family prefers watching movies in theaters which is more exciting for them than at home. Therefore.. maybe i am better off with a good sounding pair of fronts.. i can live with some mismatch in the center.

I would have really liked a pair of JBL's to complete my system in the front but the ES80 starts ar 45K which is out of my budget. ( Have couple of kids at home to look after too :)) )

I kind of liked the Dali Lektor 1 & 2 but while being more expensive and wall hangable.. i still prefer the Mission M34i.. simply because its a foolr stander.. maybe a budget one.. but i liked the sound..

mpw

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back