Pay per hour audition to the best hi fi systems? Is it REALLY possible?

If you were present in the studio when the song was recording, 50% of the time you would make a lime-sucking face and walk out.
The credit for the finished product goes equally to the music producer who puts it all together from possibly multiple studio sessions.
When it comes to rock music, let's give guys like George Martin, Alan Parsons, Paul Rothchild, etc a bow or a hat tip to what they achieved with the bands they were associated with.

Cheers,
Raghu

I was browsing through hifimart.com and came up with Scansonic MiniMate Hi-Fi system for 22k. What is your opinion on this combo package ?

For the joy of music with the pursuit for that studio recording reproduction quality. I want to listen like I was present at the studio while the song was recording :D , That realism is what i'm gonna purse both efforwise and money-wise

Be careful what you wish for.

I can understand what you mean however the type of sound you are imagining (if I am understanding you correctly) will require the following in a speaker -

Excellent directivity control, preferably as low in frequency as possible, pattern control suited to room

High efficiency will greatly help

Extended response in the top end to about 25-30KHz (Yes I am aware of what we can hear, just go with it for reasons I do not want to get into), in the speakers AND the signal chain

Well treated room, a very "dead" room can help a lot with this type of "realistic" sound with speakers that have good directivity control

Relatively smooth response at LP, roll off into the top, dependent on taste, DSP mandatory, EQ to taste if needed

Speaker capable of 115db continous, this will enable linear play back at "realistic" levels of around 95-105db

I know what you speak of, because I have been there, I did not like it. Beautiful? Yes. Realistic? Yes. Musical? No. YMMV.

Be careful what you wish for.I can understand what you mean however the type of sound you are imagining (if I am understanding you correctly) will require the following in a speaker -Excellent directivity control, preferably as low in frequency as possible, pattern control suited to room.High efficiency will greatly help Extended response in the top end to about 25-30KHz (Yes I am aware of what we can hear, just go with it for reasons I do not want to get into), in the speakers AND the signal chain.Well treated room, a very "dead" room can help a lot with this type of "realistic" sound with speakers that have good directivity control.Relatively smooth response at LP, roll off into the top, dependent on taste, DSP mandatory, EQ to taste if needed Speaker capable of 115db continous, this will enable linear play back at "realistic" levels of around 95-105db.

Realism in the sense, neutral level of sound without any EQ's sir. Thts what i meant. Some amps or speaker produce a warmer sound, some produce brighter signature, some trebly and some boomy (Which i hate, causes headache to me) which distorts from the original sound recorded my the master engineer, Now i wanna listen to neutral music without any filters or enhancers.You know that natural music

Eg. Beats headphone lines are bass-enhanced by headphone which is not the original music which i dislike.

I know what you speak of, because I have been there, I did not like it. Beautiful? Yes. Realistic? Yes. Musical? No. YMMV.

You have been there but I've haven't been anywhere,not even listened to 2 channel speakers with a decent amp to give feedback.I should head on the Audio lounge in Chennai and audition to some real music .Probably, I should quit typing/researching and start auditioning from now on.

Regards
DA

Last edited:
Realism in the sense, neutral level of sound without any EQ's sir. Thts what i meant. Some amps or speaker produce a warmer sound, some produce brighter signature, some trebly and some boomy (Which i hate, causes headache to me) which distorts from the original sound recorded my the master engineer, Now i wanna listen to neutral music without any filters or enhancers.You know that natural music

Eg. Beats headphone lines are bass-enhanced by headphone which is not the original music which i dislike.

You have been there but I've haven't been anywhere,not even listened to 2 channel speakers with a decent amp to give feedback.I should head on the Audio lounge in Chennai and audition to some real music .Probably, I should quit typing/researching and start auditioning from now on.

Regards
DA

There are two ways to think about natural sound, one that measures accurate and one that sounds accurate, they are not the same IMO. You may be disappointed with a speaker that measures well at your listening position.

Also do note that such measured accuracy requires DSP to produce such results at the LP so EQ will be used, even if you use an active studio monitor which will utilize built in DSP/EQ to realize its anechoic/outdoor flat response and in room that will be of little importance as the room will affect the response at the listening position requiring further EQ to correct, on top of any built in DSP/EQ.

In short do not overlook the value of DSP, it is instrumental no matter what sound you are chasing and will greatly aid in getting where you want to be. Even in cases where the speaker may sound nice to you in specific rooms/situations DSP will still be able to help tailor the sound to your preference and make it sound even better compared to using no DSP. The trick with DSP is doing it right for your tastes.

One last and very important note, when people say natural/uncolored/accurate sound, they are usually referring to their own summed life experiences which have formed their own individual reference for how music should sound according to them and they chase that, regardless of how it measures.

All IMO.

One last and very important note, when people say natural/uncolored/accurate sound, they are usually referring to their own summed life experiences which have formed their own individual reference for how music should sound according to them and they chase that, regardless of how it measures.

All IMO.

D_S,
You have captured audiophilia in one sentence. Totally agree with you on this one.
Sometimes I don't agree with the way it is recorded so I reach for tone control. So fickle minded, that the mood decides how EQ should be in FB2K.
Cheers,
Raghu

D_S,
You have captured audiophilia in one sentence. Totally agree with you on this one.
Sometimes I don't agree with the way it is recorded so I reach for tone control. So fickle minded, that the mood decides how EQ should be in FB2K.
Cheers,
Raghu

Don't worry about EQ, whatever works is good. An enjoyable experience is the end goal.

Don't worry about EQ, whatever works is good. An enjoyable experience is the end goal.

Sir, you seem to be very experienced in this stereo world. Nice to have these insights. Now i just got an information that it's the speakers that produce the sound signature and not the amps, is it true ? .In different word, Amplifiers are neutral and it is the speakers which give the sound signatures like Klipsch gives a "brighter" sound while "Wharfedale" gives a warmer sound. So, Does the amps give a neutral sound and is the speakers which change the signature?

I need your opinion on this FM's
DA

Sir, you seem to be very experienced in this stereo world. Nice to have these insights. Now i just got an information that it's the speakers that produce the sound signature and not the amps, is it true ? .In different word, Amplifiers are neutral and it is the speakers which give the sound signatures like Klipsch gives a "brighter" sound while "Wharfedale" gives a warmer sound. So, Does the amps give a neutral sound and is the speakers which change the signature?

I need your opinion on this FM's
DA

There are certain variables in sound that cause differences in flavor. In simple basic terms there are 3 dimensions to sound -

Frequency
Amplitude
Time

Speakers do contribute, but so do amplifiers. Technically an amplifier should be the same, signal in and signal out, however it is my opinion that while some amps may sound the same/similar, most amps do not. Hardcore objectivists will push that they are the same, the hardcore subjectivists will push it is of extreme importance but I think the truth is somewhere in between. They do make a difference subjectively, but less so than speakers and the room.

Some brands do have a reputation for a certain sound but I would advise you to listen to each speaker individually and not color an entire brand by the experience of one speaker.

Above all, listen and go with what works for you. Learn about the science and utilize it to understand and achieve your own personal preference. Not only will it likely be cheaper, it will also yield a far more satisfying experience.

Which to buy first for a 1st time hifi system, a speaker or an integrated amplifier ? .I find that speaker is the main so buy the speaker 1st and then get a suitable amp by taking the speaker to the stores for audition. Or is the other way like buying a amplifier and then buying a suitable speakers for it ?

Need your opinion
DA

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back