PC For Music listening

Just installed Foobar 1.1.5,added tube magic DSP & wasapi output.I can say it has some serious music playback.Specially soundstage is wide with better vocals.I have limitations with D2X & one with STX/ST can try portable version.
I dont know how same SW sound better(or even bad in some) with upgrades as mode of outputs are almost same(asio/KS..).

Hi Ihave also got the same problem I have got PC but I want it to connect it with and external Amp and stereo speakers.
For Amp I have shortlisted norge 2060
for speakers wharfdale 9.1
But my question is how to connect it with the PC

Have you managed this connection as yet ?....

Hi.

I use sound card ESI-Juli@ -> FooBar2000(ASIO as S/PDIF) - DAC - Amlifier.
I mean that Juli@ is very good sound card but only for PCI slot.

Very good discovery. I just love the life like sound. Yet to try mp3. Have played flac and wav only.I am convinced that it is indeed better than foobar 2k.

Mp3 also sounds good.I played anjana anjani mp3 which sounded fuller with vocals.Sound is much better than Foobar.
Lossless files are the best,but mp3s can now sound good too. ;)

If you select new track,it changes older one by slowly lowering playback volume & you can hear both tracks for a sec.

Last edited:
I am planning to download translated (english) form today. The link is there somewhere in headfi. Org.

By the way

1)how to add folder rather than single file at a time?

2)when I add a track to playlist,the track name is not displayed. Something odd comes up in the track list. However the track played properly.

I am planning to download translated (english) form today. The link is there somewhere in headfi. Org.

By the way

1)how to add folder rather than single file at a time?

2)when I add a track to playlist,the track name is not displayed. Something odd comes up in the track list. However the track played properly.

Found answers 15 min back-

1.Rt.click on top of player,click very second option in the list which will select folder.

2.There are few buttons on top.3rd from Rt to left is show playlist.Now you can see all songs.5th button fro R to L is change play way which makes play files one by one.Earlier even though I selected folder,the 1st song used to repeat(I can see rest songs in playlist).After clicking 5th button,song is not repeated,but next one is played.

I uploaded txt file in English-
http://www.woofiles.com/dl-257408-sjOCIdx5-Lilithmenu.txt

Tried to add Japanese symbols,but cldnt save in it.You can try in Microsoft word.

Last edited:
Same here, Doc, the settings are in Japanese.
But Spiro bhai, I am getting a different impressions after listening to Lilith. Sound quality is comparable, just that Lilith has a bit drier sounding vocals.(for eg. when I play Katie Melua or Diana Krall).

These are beta one & can be installed.Skin looks nice with volume control.Thanks.

Last edited:
Same here, Doc, the settings are in Japanese.
But Spiro bhai, I am getting a different impressions after listening to Lilith. Sound quality is comparable, just that Lilith has a bit drier sounding vocals.(for eg. when I play Katie Melua or Diana Krall).

Well with xonar,I get musical sound with background details which I could not get with foobar. Now some tricks may make it sound better.
eg.I am using unixonar drivers which sounds cleaner than original. :clapping:

seems like a better player than foobar.. have just installed it and wud post my impressions after listenin for a while.. :)

seems like a better player than foobar.. have just installed it and wud post my impressions after listenin for a while.. :)

Well foobar has sharp mids & Lilith has better overall sound.
Some may say foobar is better as more details(High frequencies).
Lilith sounds little analog wise with fuller sound.

Spiro.. my intital impression is that mids are better than foobar.. i had disabled equalizer in foobar n m not sure whether it's turned on or off in lilith.. if it's off then lilith is certainly better than foobar.. and yes.. sound seems lil bit fuller now.. overall m enjoyin this lil player n wud keep listenin to it.. :)

I had the opportunity to compare a PC running Foobar2000 with WASAPI and a Hackintosh running Amarra (full blown version) in the same setup.

PC: HP dm1 (AMD E350) with 4GB RAM and a 60GB SSD, running Win 7 Premium 64bit with just Foobar2000 (with WASAPI Plugin), Chrome and AV installed. The PC is not a dedicated music PC, but is mostly a "dedicated" browsing PC.

MAC (Hackintosh): Desktop setup running OS X Leopard used as a "regular" PC with a lot of software installed and just 1GB RAM. Absolutely NO optimisations made for music. Generic power supply and cabinet. No idea what motherboard or processor, duh!

Rest of the setup:
- PSB Alpha B1 speakers on hollow concrete pillars filled 100% with sand. (VERY solid base).
- DIY Power Amp that's pushing about 80w RMS per channel. (Very good effort)
- A Beresford Caiman doing duty as DAC and Preamp.
- Connection Audison RCAs and Speaker Wires.
- A generic USB cable (snagged off a printer, I think) connects the source to the DAC.

The music was in 16/44.1 FLAC in a 2.5" external HDD.

My friend (whose setup it was) and I listened to the Hackintosh+Amarra setup first. We then connected the HDD and the DAC to my dm1 and played the same track/file though Foobar via WASAPI. We did this switching a few times with different tracks. There was NO blind testing involved, but we both shared our individual conclusions only at the end of the exercise. And our conclusions were the same.

The MAC+Amarra beat the PC+Foobar2000 setup hollow in terms of soundstage width, image definition and staging (the singer and individual instruments standing out in an identifiable way in space) and bass definition. I was quite surprised myself, as I've always been a staunch PC+Foobar fan. Both machines were NOT dedicated setups, but I'd say the PC setup was far less cluttered with software than the Hackintosh setup.

I hope to be able to try this test out with my the dedicated Music PC and setup at home sometime soon. I must say my faith in my PC+Foobar temple has been shaken, and the Temple of Mac looks a lot more attractive now.

Last edited:
Interesting experience. In the cause of answering the question, "Is it the hardware or the software?" is there any way that you can repeat this test with both machines running the same software? Might it be possible, for instance, to boot both from a linux cd? The aim would not be so much to bring Linux into the question, as to exclude Windows and Mac OS from it, leaving the focus on the hardware.

Whilst I still hold that what happens between data-on-disc and sound-card is all digital, and belongs to the realm of data processing, and not audiophile conjecture, I think that every machine is the sum of its parts. It's-all-digital does not (unfortunately) mean it's-all-perfect.

For the price Amarra costs it had perform better. Perhaps you can do a test comparing J River + JPLAY with Amarra and post the results.

Then there is an alternative in the Spatial Computer which promises better SQ with existing h/w.

Back