PCM or Bitstream..?

rajan2008

Hi friends,

I would like to have the opinion of the experienced members of this forum on the following.

Which is the Audio set up to be used in the DVD Player - PCM or Bitstream?
I have googled this and found out different opinions. I would like to hear the exp. of forum members.

By default, the set up was PCM. But recently when I purhcased a multi channel amp, the guy who came to set it up changed everything to bitstream. After that when I play DVD's, my TV said 'HDMI Audio not supported'. The error was tracked down to the bitstream set up. If it is set back to PCM, the message does not come up. However it does not seem to have any effect on the sound quality.

I have experimented with both PCM and bitstream. I find the sound ( for 2 channel stereo) to be a bit laid back in PCM mode and more open and kind of fast when in bitstream. Also the bass is a bit more in PCM.

Another point that I want to clarify is, in my digital amp, there is an option for one Video in and two Video out. I connected the output from STB to the Video in and then connected the video out to the Component in of the LCD TV and it worked fine. However, the picture seemed to be too bright and colorful. Normally I directly connect the STB out to the component in of the TV and the sound to the amp. As my DVD player has a HDMI out and my Samsung LCd TV has 3 HDMI inputs, I am using the HDMI cable to connect the DVD to the TV.

Thanks

Rajendran Menon

In a nutshell, Bitstream is where the decoding is done externally (via your receiver). PCM is the default as you have pointed out.

All the sound formats in the regular dvd are highly compressed and, this damage cannot be undone.

Unless you are streaming dolby trueHD or dts MA from your bluray disc in bitstream mode to your receiver which is capable of decoding it, it really doesnt matter for dvds.
Hope this helps.

the guy who came to set it up changed everything to bitstream.

The guy set it up right. Bitstream means the AVR will do the processing which is what you need. In PCM the DVDP will process and generally output 2.0/stereo which will left unprocessed by the AVR and hence you will get stereo via all speakers instead of 5.1/7.1.

I am using the HDMI cable to connect the DVD to the TV.

This I presume is for the video. How is the DVDP connected to the AVR? You will need a digital coaxial/optical/HDMI from DVDP to AVR, the red and white RCA will not do.

I am by no means an expert. But my simple understanding on this matter has been thus. If you think your source is better than your amplification then use PCM. If it is the other way round, use bitstream.

PCM via Analog outs would be the best way if you believe your source is better than the Receiver/Amp.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back