PeeCeeBee preamplifier

I am also building the same. All the Best, What have you thought for enclosure?

I have heard the very first prototype built of this pre amp(that Shaan built) in my system driving the F5 and I absolutely loved the sound. There are few improvements after that proto. This is sure to be a great pre-amp.
The idea of "Signature" control is a "Masterstroke".... :)

will look forward to the build.

@mshifi

Will update soon as the build starts.

I am also building the same. All the Best, What have you thought for enclosure?

@sadik

At present i have this cab on hand... thinking of using it for this build.
1604046728211.jpeg

Actually i have two identical enclosures... only draw back, it has only one input provision.
am planning for a 4 way source selector... so, need to drill holes accordingly.
1604046856641.jpeg

1604046873135.jpeg

I have heard the very first prototype built of this pre amp(that Shaan built) in my system driving the F5 and I absolutely loved the sound. There are few improvements after that proto. This is sure to be a great pre-amp.

@bhaskarcan

Thanks for the heads up... appreciate the feed back you have shared.

What is Signature Control? We can swap stuff to suit our signature preferences?

MaSh

What is Signature Control? We can swap stuff to suit our signature preferences?

MaSh
Shaan explains the "Signature Control" as follows:
QUOTE//
"The preamplifier consists of two gain segments per channel, one push-pull (PP) and one single ended (SE), preamp output is taken from the PP segment. The PP segment uses low gain with very high global negative feedback and generates a clear replica of the input signal with minuscule THD. The SE segment uses high gain with zero global negative feedback and produces the same signal with massive amounts of low-order THD. The PP segment is directly fed the input signal from the volume control. The SE segment's output is coupled to the feedback node of the PP segment, and the SIG ("Signature") potentiometer controls the input signal to the SE segment. With SIG control set to lowest, the SE segment will contribute almost nothing in the main output due to its high output impedance compared to the feedback node of the PP segment. As we gradually increase the input to the SE segment, its output will present gradually more harmonic content to the feedback node of the PP segment where it will be compared with the feedback signal from the output of PP segment, and the difference between the two signals is presented to preamp's output. Since high amount of harmonic content at high frequencies is often unwelcome, the input to the SE segment can be lowpass filtered with user chosen maximum frequency of interest, so that the high frequency signals can be chosen to contain the least amount of harmonics, and treble definition remains intact.
It sounds neutral, and it sounds warm, and everything in between! How much neutral or warm depends on how much you want to turn the SIG pot! In my system I have been listening to it from morning to midnight, day after day, with the SIG pot turned towards a low setting during daytime and to a slightly higher setting in the evening.

As expected, in its minimum SIG setting, the sound is extremely clean, with a large soundstage, and in its maximum setting, it is extremely sweet (masked), with a narrow soundstage. In my main system I found the sweet spot to be around 5-10% of the turn when playing music tracks where a lot is going on, and around 45-50% when I am listening to chants or other music types where the music is minimal, calm and relaxed. At near 20% I feel the sound is very balanced, with the right amount of depth and detail I like, along with a touch of that "SE" niceness."
//UNQUOTE

@mshifi

Will update soon as the build starts.

@sadik

At present i have this cab on hand... thinking of using it for this build.
View attachment 51416

Actually i have two identical enclosures... only draw back, it has only one input provision.
am planning for a 4 way source selector... so, need to drill holes accordingly.
View attachment 51417

View attachment 51418

@bhaskarcan

Thanks for the heads up... appreciate the feed back you have shared.

May I know from where you sourced the cabs, I am looking for one. How much it costs?

Looking very neat. A lot of members building this one. Looking forward to hearing the reviews.

MaSh

Little progress on the build:
RCA socket holes drilled and Source selector board mounted...

1604921675267.jpeg

I plan to place the volume, signature pots and selector switch this way...
need to drill holes on the front panel.

1604922039521.jpeg

1604921850867.jpeg

Attenuator and source selector mounted.

1604927048344.jpeg

Mains and secondary wiring connected... need to drill hole for Sig pot and for RCA out.

1604927103148.jpeg

1604927123090.jpeg

The build was paused for lack of time as too many projects were on hand.
little progress i made last week... hole for Signature pot drilled, protective shield placed over PSU.

1636283980810.jpeg

1636284004604.jpeg

1636284018734.jpeg

Will start hook up of wiring once i drill the output RCA holes.

Back