Perreaux Launches the Worlds Most Powerful Integrated Amplifier

Perreaux

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Perreaux Launches the Worlds Most Powerful Integrated Amplifier

DUNEDIN, New Zealand (March 27, 2009) New Zealand hi fi amplifier manufacturer Perreaux is proud to announce the launch of the loquence range, including the 250i the worlds most powerful Class-AB integrated amplifier.

The 250i delivers in excess of 350 Watts of continuous power into an 8 Ohm load before clipping, says Perreaux Engineering Manager, Clinton Jensen, making it the most powerful Class-AB integrated amplifier in the world.

The 250i features a custom-designed 1000VA toroid power transformer, with an XQ core and magnetic shielding, to provide low electrical and mechanical noise, while offering well-regulated voltage and enormous amounts of current.

A low-impedance power supply, along with high-current MOSFET output devices and Class-A signal stages, result in a sound that is dynamic, commanding and resolute; according to Martin van Rooyen, Perreaux Managing Director.

Power delivery of the loquence 250i Integrated Amplifier is totally effortless and remarkably clean, continues van Rooyen, you find yourself continually wanting to turn it up and enjoy the music.

The loquence 250i is a sophisticated amplifier with many features, including input volume trim, initial volume, maximum volume limit, home theatre bypass, non-invasive balance control, customisable input labels, and more all accessible via the intuitive user interface.

Solid construction and build quality has always been a Perreaux hallmark and the loquence 250i Integrated Amplifier is no exception; the rugged chassis design, 18mm thick milled aluminium front panel, massive custom heat sinks and unique surface finish exudes luxury and ensures a lifetime of trouble-free operation.

The 250is compact little brother, the loquence 150i, is rated at 150 Watts into 8 Ohms and 300 Watts into 4 Ohms, and retains the same sonic characteristics, intuitive user interface and luxurious fit and finish.

Both loquence integrated amplifiers are available with an optional 24-bit/192kHz Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC) ensuring complete integration of digital source components, such as network music servers and set-top digital receivers, into a high-performance music system; as well as an optional Moving Magnet (MM) and Moving Coil (MC) Phono Stage allowing connection of a turntable.

The loquence 250i Integrated Amplifier is priced at $8,999 USD and the 150i at $5,999 USD, both are available now. The optional DAC is $999 USD and Phono Stage $499 USD.

For further information on the loquence integrated amplifiers and optional modules contact Perreaux or visit www.perreaux.com. High-resolution images are available on the Perreaux website.

Nice. This is interesting. If you dont mind, how do you rate it against A1400-8 Digital Amplifier - AxiomAudio

I know that your amp is essentially a Class AB amp where as the Axiom on is a Class D. A colleague of mine who owns this thinks this is the last word out there when it comes to amplifiers! If I remember correctly we discussed about Bryston 4BSST, Sherbourn 7/2100a, McIntosh mc2102, Outlaw etc. He had auditioned most of em and settled for the Axioms.

I'm looking forward to have a listen the next time I visit him.

Cheers.

Hmmm, hard to say. Haven't heard that amplifier, or any of Axioms products for that matter, and having not listened to it it's very difficult to draw any comparisons.

Of course that amp is a power amp, whereas the loquence 250i is an integrated amplifier, but you could easily use a stand-alone preamp and test the 250i as a power amp to take its internal preamp section out of the equation.

In my experience Class-D amplifiers tend to sound a little dry, perhaps bordering on lean and certainly aren't as weighty or taut in the bottom end compared with Class-A or Class-AB amplifiers (but in saying that, bottom-end control and weight is a Perreaux hallmark, so maybe our reference is slightly skewed :)).

I had heard of perreaux power amps many years ago in the vintage market. So I am new to the brand.

Having said that I am a bit confused about the above "press release". So the gist seems to be that you drop US$ 9K for the 350W integrated or 6K for a 150W. and the premium pricing is driven by the power ratings rather than any other features.

The list of sophisticated features like volume trim, initial volume, maximum volume settings etc. are available in a 600 bucks integrated.

What is the target market for these models? Is there a professional review of the amp? Seems like the 150 atleast is in the same ballpark as a Conrad Johnson or Tyler Acoustics or Oracle Audio. Bit skimpy on details esp. at the price point that is being offered.

anyway good luck to you on the sale of these though I would really love to take a look at some reviews.

I had heard of perreaux power amps many years ago in the vintage market. So I am new to the brand.

Having said that I am a bit confused about the above "press release". So the gist seems to be that you drop US$ 9K for the 350W integrated or 6K for a 150W. and the premium pricing is driven by the power ratings rather than any other features.

The list of sophisticated features like volume trim, initial volume, maximum volume settings etc. are available in a 600 bucks integrated.

What is the target market for these models? Is there a professional review of the amp? Seems like the 150 atleast is in the same ballpark as a Conrad Johnson or Tyler Acoustics or Oracle Audio. Bit skimpy on details esp. at the price point that is being offered.

anyway good luck to you on the sale of these though I would really love to take a look at some reviews.

The price is not dictated by the power ratings alone, both the 150i and 250i are packed full of features, we just didn't feel this was the place to discuss them. You can see the features and more details on the product page (High End Audio Amplifiers for Audiophiles : Products : loquence : 250i - 250w Stereo Integrated Amplifier : Features - Perreaux (International))

Also, what premium do you put on the sound of an amplifier and it's build-quality? Isn't this why Conrad Johnson, Tyler Acoustics and Oracle Audio are of a similar premium? They certainly aren't packed full of features by any means. By the way, this is the target market for the loquence integrated amps.

Unfortunately there aren't any reviews available at the moment because the amplifiers have only been on the market for a week. Although we already have a couple lined up and working to secure a few more. Watch this space :)

Hi ,
At the said price point (9000/10000USD = approx Rs 5L) which are the class A/B integrateds that are the ones to beat? Have never heard the perreaux but have heard integrateds from Classe,Plinius,Sim,Mc, Bryston and Accuphase.
Accuphase E 450 is one hell of an amp and IMO the one to beat. Its not 350 WPC , rather about half that but it sounds fantastic and drives almost anything.
Is Perreaux going to be available in India anytime soon?
Rgds

Last edited:
HEGEL

Is this a good amp ?

Not as powerful - but may be sold in India.
Price ? No idea....

Accuphase is famous for its A 60 Power Amplifier..
Its integrated amplifiers are good but not in the top league....

The De-Facto amplifiers are from ARS & Dartzeel [IMHO]

:cool:

Hi ,
At the said price point (9000/10000USD = approx Rs 5L) which are the class A/B integrateds that are the ones to beat? Have never heard the perreaux but have heard integrateds from Classe,Plinius,Sim,Mc, Bryston and Accuphase.
Accuphase E 450 is one hell of an amp and IMO the one to beat. Its not 350 WPC , rather about half that but it sounds fantastic and drives almost anything.
Is Perreaux going to be available in India anytime soon?
Rgds

For sure the loquence 150i is targeted at the same bracket as the brands you mention. Although the 250i is intended to go head-to-head with heavy-weights like Gryphon (Diablo), Mark Levinson (No.383) and Krell (FBI).

Perreaux was distributed in India a while ago by Nova Audio in Mumbai, but the relationship seems to have fizzled. For what reasons I'm unsure, maybe the new loquence integrateds will fire Sushil up enough to start with Perreaux again :)

:)

Perreaux was distributed in India a while ago by Nova Audio in Mumbai, but the relationship seems to have fizzled. For what reasons I'm unsure, maybe the new loquence integrateds will fire Sushil up enough to start with Perreaux again.

:)

This is a 'good product'
Better than Plxxxx from New Zealand - for sure.
If the price is 'just' the products will have a good market.
:D

The Sound is nice & Build is great !!
The issue is can the Indian market 'absorb' the price;

All the Best to Sushil !!

:clapping:

Thanks guys.

Shanti u are always giving me something new to look into. Thanks for the same. I too dont think tons of plxxxxxx and preferred my Bryston combo (approx the same price). I like amps from Mcintosh/Accuphase from the ones i have heard. Obviously i have heard far fewer than u. I actually need a good 100/150 W integrated now (no beefy pre/powers) and i have been experimenting with Brystons/Arcams/Marantz Reference integrateds/electrocompaniet and lastly accuphase in my home. Apart from these i also went and auditioned a few other biggies at the vendors as a home audition was not possible. Finally settled with the Accuphase E450.

Rgds

Hi again,
Have gone thru tons of cdps too but my budget for a cdp has always been upto a lac.
Had decided on the marantz KI player last year but just could not procure it and bought the cyrus, which i returned soon. Used the Arcam 192 for a while till i bought the Yamaha CDS 2000 as it was launched. I preferred it to all the others i heard. Slightly coloured but acceptable at the price i got it at. Plus it has the facility of using XLRs. At my old home i have a Rotel 1072 and an Arcam 192 which i use sometimes too. Basically front end is nothing special.

Set up sounds pretty good with the Accu in the mix.

Rgds

Is Perreaux going to be in India ?
All the Best !!

I certainly hope so... Perhaps there are some distributors you could recommend. As mentioned before, we have been distributed by Nova Audio in the past. Maybe you know a distributor who has a gap in their electronics line-up?

Back