Philips 15GA242 TT Service Manual

Hi Musiklava79,

Got the Philips GA242 from a friend of mine and has been with me for last couple of years. I have not been able to check it as I did not have the manual. Much appreciate if you can email me a copy of the manual. It will help me in checking if this can be put in service.

<< [email protected] >>

Thanks much, Kishor

Hi. GOT THE MANUAL thanks to Kishore. Just in case does anyone happen to know the effective mass of the tonearm of 15Ga 242 without the cartridge and the screws? Its not in the manual. Plus the calculation is too critical for a novice like me. I gathered from the net that the GP390 it had had a net weight of 5gm. Im considering getting at95e as an upgrade. I've got scores of scratchy discs and some near mint ones. I got EG1400 and EEI classic 700 carts and I'm happy with none as I can hear distortion on my English vinyl . Specially RCA, Decca, EMI, RSO labels. Atlantics are better while Liberty ones from the 80s are the most pleasant. Hindi lps are better i think or as good as liberty pressing English ones. My Japanese pressing English lps sound seriously nice though. Truly flat, noiseless and all. Lowest distortion. Far better than any indian pressings i got. My new 1942 a love story also sounds great on it with both the carts. Some have written about m97xe but I'm not looking for a sound that is warm while compensating HF response. Got my hands on a LUXMAN lv111 which has to work as my pre and power amp for now. Also have sonodyne scr2060. There is a tremendous argument among audiophiles regarding tonearm effective mass and resonance and capacitance and what not? I love the sound of at440mla and the like on the net but I can't afford it for now. Plus it's no good to have them unless ALL your vinyl is mint right? Besides the cart is heavier so i don't think that should be a match. At95e is 5.7g while m97xe is 6g if I'm correct. So they should come closer to EEI classic 700. I guess. Has anyone tried any of the aforementioned carts with this TT? I'd love to hear from you guys. ....Ciao!!!
Oh and I don't suppose there is any provision for alignment of cartridge to this tonearm, is there? When i fix my carts they seem to get fixed in a particular fashion leaving no provision for alignment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back