philips 40PFL5059..dead in 4 months

lokesh125

Hi All.

i am new to forum and really need help. i bought 40PFL5059 in november 2014 from Flipkart with 3 year warranty.

around 15 days back suddenly TV screen went all white..while it was running..i registered my complaint to CC via online chat and an engineer (if you can call that guy an engineer) visited. he had no idea and was on phone with someone explaining the issue and asking what to do..opens tv and move wires a bit and close it again. and declare panel is dead and it need to be replaces so either TV or panel will be replaced.and it will take 7 days.

asks me to drop tv to their service center which i flatly refused.

i contacted philips again and after few phone calls they agrees to pick it up from my place.but said will send another engineer

next day another guy came he tries different settings..etc and same as earlier declare panel is dead and it will be replaced in 7 days

he is ready to take tv with him , i asked does he need a box ...he said no and takes product by putting tv on his back and between tool bag on bike..i didnt object as i was under assumption it will be replaced thats why he taking it this way.

anyways 7 days pass there is no info from their side finally i call them and then service center informs that there is a issue with part and its not available locally and philips sending it from delhi. so it will take another 2-3 days

on monday i talked to philips and they gave me contact # of local area service manager Mr manish kaushik ,, when called he connect with service centre guy (Mr Anil) and he says product will be delivered on wednesday.

Wednesday passed , i contacted Mr Anil , he says that part has come but issue is not fixed and another part need to be changed and again need to be procured from delhi.

when i argue about delay he mentions he cant do anyhting and i can contact Mr Mehta (he is responsible for jaipur city). when i contact Mr mehta..he confidently says that issue will be fixed today and product will be delivered. but again a lie.

next day i called .Mr mehta and he is not picking my phones since then.

finally called Mr kaushik on friday evening he said he will check and will update me in 2 mins. since then he is also not picking phones.

checked with service center this morning. Mr anil said part may come today but not sure.

if i contact CC ..they redirect me to Mr Kaushik and ask me to contact him.

so overall i am not sure what to do.. i am now worried not just about delay but product too because the way it was handled.

please guide what should i do..anyone have numbers of higher ups in philips ?

so overall a very frustrating experience in these 15 days they have never called me to update everytime i have to check..philips service guys have stopped picking my calls.

on sidenote i posted my review on FK but they havent published it. seems they filter negative reviews.

all help/advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lokesh

Since you have purchased the TV from flipkart, lodge a formal complaint to both flipkart and philips.

In case you have no options, you have to move to the Consumer court. In that case, you will require documentary evidences. So write down the entire incident and shoot a mail with a copy to flipkart.

They can/ will ignore anything that is 'verbal', but won't be able to do anything if it is documented (email is enough).

Hope your problems get solved at the earliest.

Sad to hear about the TV. I have had some terrible experiences in the past as well, with promises to deliver that were not met and equipment man-handled and damaged when entrusted to someone.

First of all, I hope you did your online research before deciding on Philips. Hope you know that Philips is exiting the TV and Audio business. If I were you, I'd never have bought a Philips TV of all things. Even though laws make it mandatory for manufactures to provide support and spares for products for upto 10 years post discontinuation, many Indian manufacturers simply don't do this. A friend of mine once had to wait for 1 month for a power break fluid pipe to arrive from New Delhi for his SX4 (it was lying at the Maruti dealer workshop for 1 month). The excuse that they gave is that SX4 is a discontinued model and spares have to come from New Delhi.

This is a clear case of failure to deliver to the customer. You should contact your lawyer, send a notice to both flipkart and philips and file a case against philips asking for a full refund and compensation. The moment they know you are asking for compensation and threatening to post the story online, they will act and replace your TV or give you a full refund.

On another note, the moment you post online advising people not to buy electronics online and draw flipkart's attention to your posts, they will get started and back you, to keep their reputation intact. These are tried and tested tips when it comes to flipkart.

You can always lodge complaints on your own, but you'll end up getting into an email-to-and-fro situation which will waste your time. A Lawyer's note is always ideal.

Last edited:
Sad to hear that your TV gaveup in just 4 months... But the best thing is you have 3 yrs warranty... So be patient, keep following up with them consistently, try to make personal visits to their office in your city if needed...

Flipkart has no hold here.. The moment you buy it from them & with 30 - 60 days something goes wrong, Flipkart will replace it.. Otherwise Flipkart is completely out of the picture...

There was an other thread where the FM had bought TV from Flipkart & the TV went dead within 30 Days.. Since Flipkart didn't have stock of that model, they were ready to offer refund of 50K :eek:hyeah:.. Absolutely doesn't happen anywhere in India other than Flipkart... They are such good...

Now Philips is who you need to chase patiently until you get your replacement...

Hi ,

thanks for advise, at present i am not considering Consumer court option. but i have started posting issue online..

i am more disappointed the way philips is working and handing this issue, for 10 days i kept quiet as product failure may happen with any brand ..but important is how issue is handled. and so far from philips false deadlines is all i have got. on top both service manager of jaipur city and region dont pick my calls anymore.

about Flipkart they didnt publish my review i think because of i mentioned tv failure within 4 months. i have written a email to them, lets see how they reply(if they reply).

i am trying to pursue matter with philips as much as i can but its really frustrating. i dont think visiting service center will help either as its outsourced to videocon and service center manager easily wash off his hands by saying he is not getting part from philips.

i totally regret buying philips, guess was misguided by so many positive reviews on flipkart. now i know where from those come..they just dont publish negative critical reviews.

Thanks,
Lokesh

To update further on issue.

no response/info whole day..and in evening when i sent email again someone called and mentioned that he can refund amount i paid while buying this tv and no replacement. so far they were saying that product is being repaired.

but when i mentioned that i need replacement he said its not in stock though same model is selling everywhere. then i asked him to email me same that product is not in stock and they can only refund.. he disconnected the phone without saying anything. thats the level of Customer service

so far they have failed to update me single time also there is no update what wrong with product if they are fixing or replacing.

on FLIPKART side..FK says its not a product review. so if a product is dead in 4 months its not a product review ..funny, they simply dont want other users to know about it.

any advise what should i do ? i bought tv on good deal..around 26k+1200 for old tv..they are ready to refund 27.2 but all this on phone..i havent received anything in email.

Thanks and Regards,
Lokesh

Post it on Flipkart twitter or Facebook. Same on Philips twitter and Facebook if they have anything.

Pls send your complaint to Philips india on Facebook. Send them a PM and u'll get a quick response. Mention each n very detail in the PM. I too have the same TV n it was promptly replaced within a week when it had issue with its IR sensor and then again in the replaced set I faced another issue with a black spot on the display n that too was repaired within two day. Though for the second issue they took almost 3 weeks to take the TV to the service center for repairs because they where waiting for some technical head to check it. Now I've been told by the sales/service head of delhi that any other problem arises they will replace the set again.
All I did was shoot a PM to Philips India on FB.

Post it on Flipkart twitter or Facebook. Same on Philips twitter and Facebook if they have anything.
AYlgpr

I am sorry that you are going thru a tough time with Philips. I would advice you to get a refund. Please don't look for replacement as you won't know when it can go kaput yet again. Its very annoying to hear the pathetic and sub standard customer service from Philips. So go for Sony or Samsung or LG. I know you have to bite the bullet for moving from Philips to trustworthy brand. But its worth the price as not only you can enjoy a better PQ of your TV but also in-case of any issues it will be much hassle free. From my previous experience I would say Samsung's customer support is best in the market.

Decide wise. Hope your problem will be sorted out soon. Good luck

Hi,

to update i have opted for refund..as i had no choice PHILIPS india didnt give me any choice.i would say this is worst Customer support i have dealt with. in all these 24 days they have never bothered to update me or something.

i am losing some money as i bought it in very good deal. but overall i think its good to get rid of it.

so waiting for my cheque.....will update this thread once i receive cheque

Thanks,
Lokesh

its been 7 days and there is been no update from PHILIPS as usual. worst customer care depart, when contacted they redirect me to same people who is not responding my emails and phone calls at all.

I am sorry that you are going thru a tough time with Philips. I would advice you to get a refund. Please don't look for replacement as you won't know when it can go kaput yet again. Its very annoying to hear the pathetic and sub standard customer service from Philips. So go for Sony or Samsung or LG. I know you have to bite the bullet for moving from Philips to trustworthy brand. But its worth the price as not only you can enjoy a better PQ of your TV but also in-case of any issues it will be much hassle free. From my previous experience I would say Samsung's customer support is best in the market.

Decide wise. Hope your problem will be sorted out soon. Good luck

Well....there is no Absolute answer to which is the best company or which provides the best service or PQ if we talk about TVs.
I only have great things to say about Philips customer service n as mentioned above have the same TV too n u all find quite a few such examples here.

Whereas I've had terrible experiences with Samsung and just an FYI Samsung has one of the worst records in panel failures rate in the TV industry. You'll find plenty of such experiences here on this forum itself. Whereas I've had brilliant after sales experince from LG.
Not saying you are wrong or I am right, but there is no absolute answer to this, one has to do his own research n take decision. In regards to after sales, from online reviews I've read all these years, it differs from city to city. In my case its Gurgaon.
I am a satisfied Philips customer for past 15 yrs+ and this is my 3rd Philips TV...back to back.

If u go through this forum itself, you'll find plenty examples of panel faluires under a yr, be it Sony, samsung, Panasonic etc and worst after sales experiences as well.

Last edited:
Samsung will have obviously more panel problems reported than philips since it is top seller.We have to look for the percentage of failure on total tv sales .The most imp part on this debate is , whether the brand is providing service to customer or not,problems can happen to any electronics irrespective of brand,but the brand should have more service centers,personnel to replace,repair the defective product.

Samsung will have obviously more panel problems reported than philips since it is top seller.We have to look for the percentage of failure on total tv sales .The most imp part on this debate is , whether the brand is providing service to customer or not,problems can happen to any electronics irrespective of brand,but the brand should have more service centers,personnel to replace,repair the defective product.

+1 , about PHILIPS i would say this worst customer service i have dealt with. and to add i am in touch with city service manager and regional service manager ..and so far in last 1 month(at initial stage i was told issue will be resolved in 7 days) i have never received any update from their side. everytime i have to call and check. mostly they dont pick my phones. false promises, false promises to callback with update..i mean they do not hesitate to do anything.

if i contact PHILIPS directly they redirect me to same people who doesnt respond to my calls or dont update.

honestly i am dead tired dealing with these people and just want to get my money back.

Lokesh

I understand and thats what I said, service or reliability these days is open for argument for any brand, be it top sellers or new entrants etc or vfm ones like Philips/videocon.
Therefore I said, there is no absolute answer as to which is the best company in terms of service or reliability.
I also mentioned that one should do his/her own research before buying such sensitive electronics these days n shouldntgo blindly on anyone's recommendations.
These so called top selling companies like samsung n Sony are as bad or as good as any other company in terms of service/ relibality even when compared to lower end or vfm ones like vu, videcon, Philips or micromax.
Its sad to know that philips is not replacing the TV, don't understand for what reason but if I am right they are refunding the money....right ?
In my case my tvwas replaced promptly within a week due of IR sensor issue n I don't want a repair done on a week old TV. I was also told that any other issue arises inth becoming months I can get it replaced again.
So I have only good things to say about it till now at least n even my previous Philips LCD after sales/repair service was fantastic.
I am not being biased as I also own a Sony LCD n has been pretty much reliable for the last 5 yrs n have not yet experienced sony's after sales.

I and to pitch in as I don't want prospective buyers to feel that Philips give bad after sales after reading this thread. As with any other brand there are good nabd experiences too.

to update yesterday when i called city service manager he said product is coming and can give me replacement. but i refused as dont want to deal with same people again if anything goes wrong again and i am in process of buying a pre owned TV.

he said will call me back in 30 mins and as usual there is callback, currently there is exact info when i will get my cheque, so its not over yet.

I and to pitch in as I don't want prospective buyers to feel that Philips give bad after sales after reading this thread. As with any other brand there are good nabd experiences too.

why this balancing ? you are welcome to post your positive experience and let other users read and decide themselves. for my case they have screwed it big time and other buyers should know about it.you faced issue with product too that says lot about product reliability

and i am posting here what I have faced with PHILIPS INDIA and i have no hesitation in saying that customer service is worst i have faced. they have never hesitated to give false info. not a single time they have called themselves to update about the issue. and there is no action to resolve the issue from their side, each time i am redirected to same people who gives false info/dont take calls/never respond to emails.

and its been almost a month since my TV is dead and they are not able resolve it which they promise to fix in 7 days.

Lokesh

another user posted today on philips india FB page today about same philips 40PFL5059 and worst customer service.

Lokesh

Attachments

• philipsindia.jpg
    philipsindia.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 64
to update its not resolved yet. havent received cheque..ASM made false promises to deliver cheque two times and both time didnt show up and didnt bother to call and inform.

hate the day when i bought PHILIPS TV, there facebook page is full of issues and bad service experience.. Please spread..the issue if you can..

Well this is the case for all brands and not just philips . Atleast they have promised a refund . Honestly any issue related to tv's above 40inch wont get resolved within a month . My old Sony LCD went kaput in 11 months but fortunately had a months warranty remaining but it took sony cc about 50 days to rectify the problem and at one point they said that the warranty has expired ! My LG 32 inch TV took more then a month to get repaired at official LG CC , it was out of warranty and i was paying for repairs . I have a 55 inch viedeocon led which went bad in 14 months but luckily with some nice talking they provided me with an upgrade option by paying a small differential cost even when the warranty had expired !
After my videocon experience i found out that the major reason for panel failings is uneven voltages in India . For me even in a city like mumbai i have made the necessary precautions and havent had problem since then .
Almost all TV brands do not give more then 1 year warranty on panels since the rate of failure is high . SO basically we should get a product which has the most warranty duration and be patient if it goes bad .

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back