Philips 4K UHD Television Models in Indian Market?

Philips 4K UHD Television Models in Indian Market?
Yes there was a good deal with an online site on 70" Phillips UHD LCD LED TV during Diwali '20. But an FMer who bought it had to return it right away as the panel was broken in transit. Not sure he updated what happened later. Phillips has lost brand value over the years since the big three ripped apart the rest. Still good enough to go for it.

Yes there was a good deal with an online site on 70" Phillips UHD LCD LED TV during Diwali '20. But an FMer who bought it had to return it right away as the panel was broken in transit. Not sure he updated what happened later. Phillips has lost brand value over the years since the big three ripped apart the rest. Still good enough to go for it.
I dont see any info about them on here or indian web sphere..
Only way I stumbled upon was due to them also having IPS Panels after LG, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo etc.

Thanks. Deals thread. I was looking for Philips separately -

Thanks. Deals thread. I was looking for Philips separately -

@crashnburn

This is for you specifically.
Philips Tvs IMO wont satisfy you.
It is for people who are casually browsing for recommendations before a quick purchase.
Sure, they are built with good fundamentals and do very well in their segments and surpass tvs even in a segment above but Indian market does not get the top of the line stuff, only the starting range. And they are built to a price. On an average they are dim compared to competetion which affects HDR performance.
The amount of research you put to buy your tv shows you are a power user. Better to drop philips and look at entry level OLEDs if you are looking at a long run, otherwise upgrade bug will bite you very soon.
If there were philips OLEDs available in india, it is good recommendation but it is restricted to the EU right now barring a miracle release this year.

The amount of research you put to buy your tv shows you are a power user.
Power user in terms of "computing & tech". Not so much for TVs (but similar research before I buy) but definitely Monitors.

I am used to the US markets and having lived & shopped there for long, feeling a bit lost given the lack of tech data in Indian market products.

TBH - I haven't bothered looking at TV HiFi HT tech in ages, so its a lot of catching up as well. But I'm just particular - but I am also not as tech bowled over to go for the "highest end" at White Elephant prices.; I have done so before - WQHD 30" Monitor in 2007/08 for 1700$ was a big splurge. Similar for GigE Networking then.

TBH - I am not so keen on OLEDs and the prices in India - I will most likely go IPS or QLED-VA - Slowly formulating Brands/ Models that might fit me for now. Hopefully 2022 will bring me a 50/55" Fancy Monitor from the US or I will be back there.

Power user in terms of "computing & tech". Not so much for TVs (but similar research before I buy) but definitely Monitors.

There is not much distinction. Tv is a display tech and past decade has been spent on tweaking an inherently weak LCD technology. Ignorance is really a bliss here. If you put so much effort into knowing what is FALD vs self emitting pixels etc, the effects of a static backlight system such as philips will be blatantly visible in first attempt. U7980 is the cheapest FALD but has picture processing and upscaling issues. Philips trades the FALD deficiency with excellent processing with less brightness. Both are compromises. Uncompromising FALD starts at 85k for the sony x950g but lacks hdmi 2.1 ports if you are into gaming.
If you are tech savvy, you will definitely be an early adopter of HDR etc in current or next year itself. That will limit philips' performance heavily. You will at least need a 700 nits. Picture processing/upscaling etc is for old content and you cant unsee the effects of HDR once you see it. Even a U7980 will fit you better if not the flagship tvs in that case, it is all about choosing compromises you can live with in the lower ranges, especially in the tv tech.

Edit: Also I am an advocate of having the best for the most used stuff (like a bed/couch/recliner/tv etc). After all you spend most of your life there and there is no point penny counting in that regard. If you are an occational tv viewer, can understand. But this amount of research is unwarranted for occasional usage. Thats where I come from.

I was the unfortunate one whose Philips 70 inch TV was damaged on transit and was returned and got refund.
At a hindsight I think I was fortunate as all these 70 inches TV were imported units,imported in limited numbers from China for Diwali sale, it's not on sale there after and hence it would be impossible to source spares if needed in future.
The downside is fk made me wait till the sale period was over to inform me that only refund is possible and not replacement and hence I could not buy any other TV during the sales and later the price of all tvs went up.

X950
There is not much distinction. Tv is a display tech and past decade has been spent on tweaking an inherently weak LCD technology. Ignorance is really a bliss here. If you put so much effort into knowing what is FALD vs self emitting pixels etc, the effects of a static backlight system such as philips will be blatantly visible in first attempt. U7980 is the cheapest FALD but has picture processing and upscaling issues. Philips trades the FALD deficiency with excellent processing with less brightness. Both are compromises. Uncompromising FALD starts at 85k for the sony x950g but lacks hdmi 2.1 ports if you are into gaming.
If you are tech savvy, you will definitely be an early adopter of HDR etc in current or next year itself. That will limit philips' performance heavily. You will at least need a 700 nits. Picture processing/upscaling etc is for old content and you cant unsee the effects of HDR once you see it. Even a U7980 will fit you better if not the flagship tvs in that case, it is all about choosing compromises you can live with in the lower ranges, especially in the tv tech.

Edit: Also I am an advocate of having the best for the most used stuff (like a bed/couch/recliner/tv etc). After all you spend most of your life there and there is no point penny counting in that regard. If you are an occational tv viewer, can understand. But this amount of research is unwarranted for occasional usage. Thats where I come from.
Sir, X950g for 85k what abt x900h 55".where can i get these rates too?

Agreed in principle, but I will at times wait for certain jumps in tech at times. We are just beginning to see OLED with HDMI 2.1 come out, and OLED monitors and OLED competitors etc. And whenever my SPLURGE for the high end comes it will be for a Thunderbolt/ USB-C & DP with PIP etc.

Its akin to waiting out the DVD HD Blu Ray wars - but i didnt even have time for a TV then - never bought a TV or had one for years.. was on the road too much.

Actually, because I've been very tech savvy, I now avoid being early adoption of half baked packages. I am not swayed by the ego thumping of early adoption of if does not warrant it.

I skip gens of tech if they don't satisfy me - and that's a personal ROI/ VFM call to make for anyone.

I was kinda out of touch with the TV/ Display scene but my guess is next 1-2 years will bring better options (atleast for what I TRULY want in Large Format Monitor/ TV) .

I am just thorough before I make a call. And for now its a STOP GAP fair enough - not the fancy high end.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back