Philips DVP 5996 Upgrading options

frnd08

Philips 5996 has a coaxial digital output port but does not have a optical output for audio. So, if I buy Philips 5996, will it limit my upgrading options? (I hear that many good 5.1 home theatre systems support optical output and not coaxial ones.)

Philips 5996 has a coaxial digital output port but does not have a optical output for audio. So, if I buy Philips 5996, will it limit my upgrading options? (I hear that many good 5.1 home theatre systems support optical output and not coaxial ones.)

Not really. Both coaxial and optical are common and present in all systems. Only Philips as a company (at least that's what I was told) does not have a digital optical out in their systems and that's true for both my Philips DVDPs. Otherwise, I have found coaxial/optical to be present in all other HT systems and also HDMI.

Not really. Both coaxial and optical are common and present in all systems. Only Philips as a company (at least that's what I was told) does not have a digital optical out in their systems and that's true for both my Philips DVDPs. Otherwise, I have found coaxial/optical to be present in all other HT systems and also HDMI.

One more thing, does HTS systems have optical or coaxial output? Becoz in future if I get an HTS with the 5996, then it should work.

Or should I go for a Sony dvd player at present? Bcoz sony has the optical output. (But sony doesn't have the analog 5.1 thingy! my current home theatre is analog 5.1)

Last edited:
One more thing, does HTS systems have optical or coaxial output? Becoz in future if I get an HTS with the 5996, then it should work.

Or should I go for a Sony dvd player at present? Bcoz sony has the optical output. (But sony doesn't have the analog 5.1 thingy! my current home theatre is analog 5.1)

frnd08,

Coaxial and Optical inputs will be there in all HT systems and AVRs. Only HDMI used to not be there in entry level systems, but even that's being made available in all systems these days. Only in Philips products you will not find optical digital out (since that seems to be the company philosophy), but you will find coaxial digital out and HDMI in Philips products. For your own peace of mind double check the back panel to see if both coaxial and digital sockets are present in all h/w you purchase. The first thing apart from specs I check is the back panel for connectivity options always...

By analog 5.1 do you mean connectivity with RCA cables?

frnd08,

Coaxial and Optical inputs will be there in all HT systems and AVRs. Only HDMI used to not be there in entry level systems, but even that's being made available in all systems these days. Only in Philips products you will not find optical digital out (since that seems to be the company philosophy), but you will find coaxial digital out and HDMI in Philips products. For your own peace of mind double check the back panel to see if both coaxial and digital sockets are present in all h/w you purchase. The first thing apart from specs I check is the back panel for connectivity options always...

By analog 5.1 do you mean connectivity with RCA cables?

Yup! RCA cables.

Coax or digital audio (toslink) cables can handle all the Dolby Digital and DTS multi channel music the same way. So you could use one or the other.

In fact toslink cables are more prone to damage if you fold them too hard or bend them too tight. Coax do nto ahve this problem though they tend to be thicker.

FYI, you can use any 75 ohm cable including the "video" cable "yellow connector" out of the AV cable that come standard with the ohter 2 audio cables being red/black and white ended ones.

Yup! RCA cables.

Connecting via RCA from DVDP to AVR will not make sense since output will be analog and AVR will not do anything except pass through or output stereo (2 channel) to 5.1 sound. Better to go with digital like coaxial or optical (coaxial is better IMHO) so the AVR will kick in and work on the digital signals it receives. This is essential for decoding Dolby Digital and DTS signals in DVDs so a digital out from DVDP to AVR is a must.

I am not too sure I understand what you mean by

my current home theatre is analog 5.1)

Do you mean there is no digital input on the AVR?

Do you mean there is no digital input on the AVR?

Nope unfortunately there's no coaxial or digital input options in my 5.1 speaker system. It supports only RCA cables. The model no. is Philips MMS 5.500i and it cost me around 5k. I wasnt looking for high end options at that time coz i had a simple dvd player then.

Last edited:
Nope unfortunately there's no coaxial or digital input options in my 5.1 speaker system. It supports only RCA cables. The model no. is Philips MMS 5.500i and it cost me around 5k. I wasnt looking for high end options at that time coz i had a simple dvd player then.

Ok. Philips 5996 is a good buy. Coming to newer HT systems they will all have coaxial, optical and HDMI too so no worries there.

Ok. Philips 5996 is a good buy. Coming to newer HT systems they will all have coaxial, optical and HDMI too so no worries there.

Thanks for the help, but 5996 is extremely difficult to get! I have placed an order and its already around a month late! (That too in Philips Arena, a certified Philips dealor!)

a bit off topic but are you able to get 1080p resolution (over component) on ur 5996 ? I am not able to get it on the other player ( 5986K) even tho it shows as 1080p.

a bit off topic but are you able to get 1080p resolution (over component) on ur 5996 ? I am not able to get it on the other player ( 5986K) even tho it shows as 1080p.

please elaborate a bit. how do you know its 1080p or other? i don't think its possible to estimate the upscaling by simply looking at the picture.

please elaborate a bit. how do you know its 1080p or other? i don't think its possible to estimate the upscaling by simply looking at the picture.

There is a button on the denon 1909 universal remote that seems to upscale the picture(im not using the phillips remote for this btw) . What i see on my upper left screen corner displayed is 480p 540p 780p 1080i and 1080p . However picture seems to blank out and change only at 480p and 540p ,not at the other resolutions.

Last edited:
There is a button on the denon 1909 universal remote that seems to upscale the picture(im not using the phillips remote for this btw) . What i see on my upper left screen corner displayed is 480p 540p 780p 1080i and 1080p . However picture seems to blank out and change only at 480p and 540p ,not at the other resolutions.

Do you have an LCD? Only an LCD can upscale images to 1080p/i.
Secondly, I would suggest you upscale the videos from the remote of Philips. You'll upscale only once, so use the Philips remote to upscale and then keep using the universal one. See if this works.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back