Philips Hi-Q International - Saw this today

Going out of topic. How is this one AIWA 22 Series System (power amp, pre amp, tuner) With rack - Mumbai - Electronics

1353391832_457676499_1-Pictures-of--AIWA-22-Series-System-power-amp-pre-amp-tuner-With-rack.jpg

So I called him, he's about 45 mins drive away.

I initially thought it was similar to the hifi international valve amp and speakers I have but it looks like the amp is just 20 watts vs 60 watts on ours. however the speaker dimensions and design seems similar, even woofer size seems similar. But on the internet im finding the impedance to be mentioned as 4ohms, while the speakers I have are 8ohms, but still 8" philips fullrange twin cone.

Could they possibly be the same drivers?

FM kartick had the same amp in listing and he says it does not sound very good.
I don't really need it but but the condition and the price of the listing seems to be quite good for something it's age.
Think I should get it if it's in working order for vintage sentiment?

aGWuE.jpg

617152967-1353058188.JPG

mGACm.jpg

299755253-1353244081.JPG

KDhsz.jpg

18658745-1353058101.JPG

Last edited:
cor,

many many many moons ago.. we had the same philips

have happy memories. In fact we had the record player too.

mpw

Hehe, yes I remember you telling me about it and your uncle.

Did you have the hi-Q one of the Hi-Fi one I have? :)

From what I know the hi-Q international series were more affordable and used germanium transistors while hi-Fi international used valves in some models and were more expensive. This hi-fi international one we have my mother says she paid 10,000 Rs for 38 years ago and hi-Q's used to sell for around 2-3k instead.

We still use it daily. One of the channels has lost a bit of volume. Fidelity isnt as amazing as more modern say setups but the sound is quite romantic. We had the made in holland turntable aswell but it stopped working in 1999 and parents gave it away without thinking.

Do you know what the hi-Q one would sound like? Ever heard it on those hi-Q international speakers?

If it doesn't sound like the hi-fi international one, the only reason I could think of picking it up would be vintage sentiment since it's in excellent condition visually.

Last edited:
Hehe, yes I remember you telling me about it and your uncle.

Did you have the hi-Q one of the Hi-Fi one I have? :)

From what I know the hi-Q international series were more affordable and used germanium transistors while hi-Fi international used valves in some models and were more expensive. This hi-fi international one we have my mother says she paid 10,000 Rs for 38 years ago and hi-Q's used to sell for around 2-3k instead.

We still use it daily. One of the channels has lost a bit of volume. Fidelity isnt as amazing as more modern say setups but the sound is quite romantic. We had the made in holland turntable aswell but it stopped working in 1999 and parents gave it away without thinking.

Do you know what the hi-Q one would sound like? Ever heard it on those hi-Q international speakers?

If it doesn't sound like the hi-fi international one, the only reason I could think of picking it up would be vintage sentiment since it's in excellent condition visually.

The Hi-q international model in discussion was made by 'Philips India' and the sound quality is below average, a similar model was also made by 'philips Holland' and the holland make was outstanding with matching speakers, amazing sound particularly bass .

Regards,

Vipin.

Hi Q model and its costlier sibling the Hi Fi was below par at best. The only saving grace was the tuner section which was outstanding. Grab it ONLY for that if you do a lot of radio listening particularly SW.

The later Philips Hi Q and Hi Fi models (mid 80's, aluminum facade) were at best good party sound systems; a segment which was ruled ferociously by Sonodyne and Cosmic.

Back