Philips micro theatre MCD 177

jaudere

Hi ,

I recently sold my powered mixer and was on look out for a bedroom system. I had space constraints. So i was looking foe an all in one solution. During my search, I landed upon this system;Philips Micro theatre.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mcd177_12/mcd177_12_pss_eng.pdf

I auditioned it for an hour with my set of CDs and bought it for 8K. The performance was too good. (I happened to listen to a set up of a yamaha AVR and Mission m34 i on the same day in the same shop. This was my favourite combo about an year back. Now it totally disappointed me. Since I have a Yamaha AVR, I did all the settins again but it did not impress me at all. I just couldn't belive that I had liked this combo very much in past.)On the day when this combo costing 42K failed to impress me, Philips impressed me. (I hadn't even asked the price when i heard it).

even though its a DVD player, i was not interested in the video part. So I have not tested its video capabilities but it performs brilliantly for music
Since the time time I read the Tripath TP 2020 therad, I have stopped paying attention to the brand name/price tag/ reviews. I ask only one question to myself"does the sound please me?". Philips pleased me.

I went into the details and learnt that it was using single 4" full range driver. It is a ported enclosure, port at the back. As it is I am a fan of philips full rangers. So I connected the speakers to my yamaha AVR. I just loved the result. Better than my open baffles, especially in the bass. It is just 20 W RMS but easily fills up my room(14 X 12).

Encouraged by this, I decided to buy another pair of same speakers. I went to the pune shop(my favourite in Pune where you can get original Philips spares at cheap price)> I was told that I won't get the same model. Luckily, the salesperson showed me another pair. It was again 4" full range driver. It was front ported. Will you believe, the shp does not have a CD/amp for audition. I tested it on a radio. I just wanted to make sure that both the pieces are working. I bought them for Rs. 1000. 4" full range drivers are available for 300 a pair. So I guess that the price is right.It is a crossoverless design. Si it has got to b cheap. At home, as expected they showed their true potential.

If you ask me the specifications, nothing was written on the box/speaker. No wattage/impedance/frq range. I knew it was philips because "philips" is written on speakers and i bought it from the official shop. can't understand why Philips does not pay attention to these things when they are selling such beautiful products at such a cheap price.

If anyone is interested, please try these speakers. After all Rs. 1K is such a meagre amount. I won't comment on comparison with other brands because it is a personal choice.One thing is for sure. They sound much much much better than than similarly priced products and wil impress anyone. Probably the crossoverless design does the trick.

Last edited:
---snip ---
This was my favourite combo about an year back. Now it totally disappointed me. Since I have a Yamaha AVR, I did all the settins again but it did not impress me at all. I just couldn't belive that I had liked this combo very much in past.)
---snap---

versus

----snip---
So I connected the speakers to my yamaha AVR. I just loved the result. Better than my open baffles, especially in the bass. It is just 20 W RMS but easily fills up my room(14 X 12). .

---snap---

Jaudere

You have confused me. You did not like it with the Yammie AVR, then you like it with the Yammie again?

Anyways so you are saying you mounted these 4" you purchased into what enclosure? And its better than OB? Or are these drivers with OB better than the previous ones?

Regards

Jaudere

You have confused me. You did not like it with the Yammie AVR, then you like it with the Yammie again?

Anyways so you are saying you mounted these 4" you purchased into what enclosure? And its better than OB? Or are these drivers with OB better than the previous ones?

Regards

hi,
I meant to say, I didn't like Mission M34I with Yamaha this time. I had loved that combo about a year back. I disliked it so much this time that I think that probably there was some defect in that particular set of speakers. Now, this time
what i liked was Yamaha conencted to philips speakers. I connected philips speakers to my yamaha AVR at home and not in that shop.

this time I bought readymade speakers and not just the drivers.It is bass reflex enclosure made by Philips itself. these perform better than OB in the bass dept. The grills of these speakers are not removable. So i won't try to mount them on open baffle.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back