Phillips PUT8215 vs Panasonic HX700

Iam looking to buy put 8215 or 6600 model which is under good discount.How would you rate put 8215 with regard to colors and upscaling , HDR
My TV isn't even delivered yet. I just chose Philips randomly after going through a few posts over here about 6604's PQ. I was also considering Samsung AUE60 and newly launched LG UP7500. I would have most probably chosen the LG model but no reviews were out yet. All budget TVs are not going to have good HDR performance because they barely touch 300-350 nits. My TV usage is going to be mainly watching sports and I really have not explored or interested in HDR etc as I know that these budget TVs won't be able to do justice to either of these mentioned features. My phone, LG G8X supposedly supports HDR, but has a horrible green tint in HDR because they try to bump up the brightness artificially to 600 nits supposedly. What's the use of mentioning features which a user won't be able to use or enjoy. So basically, I have very limited expectations.

It's a general statement . IPS panels can't achieve high contrast ratio.
Well, I think you may need to turn that view around. There is no such thing as IPS panels have poor contrast ratio. If you can point me to a TV that exhibits such behavior, then we have something to go with. Does a good IPS based TV have such poor contrast ratio that it is simply unwatchable? No. Far from it. There are so many TV's in the market sold with IPS panel. If the technology had inherent problems with contrast, then you would not see it in the market.

It also boils down to the quality of the panel. A cheap TV with an IPS panel will tear its images apart. The more accomplished ones will present an image that will truly stand out. It will stop you in your tracks. These cannot be judged or understood by YouTube and Internet reviews.

I have mentioned this several times. Measurements are good as a guide. In the end, go and see (or view)/listen to the product yourself. If you have a bright lit room or you have a lot of light coming in through windows, you want a bright, non reflective (or least) panel. On the other hand, the same panel should not make your eyes bleed when the environment is dark. Relying 100% on just the published nits value is of little use.

Good contrast allows for content on the screen to stand out. You want jet blacks and no white shadow coming in the way.

Read this article when you have time. It explains in the most layman way on how one must interpret all these numbers. The author talks about the importance of nits and also says it is not the sole reason or value you must take when choosing a display.

To answer your original question, if its going to be your primary TV, a Panasonic HX/JX/JZ series is leagues ahead of that Philips.

Last edited:
Well, I think you may need to turn that view around. There is no such thing as IPS panels have poor contrast ratio. If you can point me to a TV that exhibits such behavior, then we have something to go with. Does a good IPS based TV have such poor contrast ratio that it is simply unwatchable? No. Far from it. There are so many TV's in the market sold with IPS panel. If the technology had inherent problems with contrast, then you would not see it in the market.

It also boils down to the quality of the panel. A cheap TV with an IPS panel will tear its images apart. The more accomplished ones will present an image that will truly stand out. It will stop you in your tracks. These cannot be judged or understood by YouTube and Internet reviews.

I have mentioned this several times. Measurements are good as a guide. In the end, go and see (or view)/listen to the product yourself. If you have a bright lit room or you have a lot of light coming in through windows, you want a bright, non reflective (or least) panel. On the other hand, the same panel should not make your eyes bleed when the environment is dark. Relying 100% on just the published nits value is of little use.

Good contrast allows for content on the screen to stand out. You want jet blacks and no white shadow coming in the way.

Read this article when you have time. It explains in the most layman way on how one must interpret all these numbers. The author talks about the importance of nits and also says it is not the sole reason or value you must take when choosing a display.

To answer your original question, if its going to be your primary TV, a Panasonic HX/JX/JZ series is leagues ahead of that Philips.
I went through the article . It says brightness and contrast are both important. And as I said I did a side by side comparison of two sony TVs ,First was IPS(X80J)and second was VA (X85J). X85J was clearly better. I rest my case .

My TV isn't even delivered yet. I just chose Philips randomly after going through a few posts over here about 6604's PQ. I was also considering Samsung AUE60 and newly launched LG UP7500. I would have most probably chosen the LG model but no reviews were out yet. All budget TVs are not going to have good HDR performance because they barely touch 300-350 nits. My TV usage is going to be mainly watching sports and I really have not explored or interested in HDR etc as I know that these budget TVs won't be able to do justice to either of these mentioned features. My phone, LG G8X supposedly supports HDR, but has a horrible green tint in HDR because they try to bump up the brightness artificially to 600 nits supposedly. What's the use of mentioning features which a user won't be able to use or enjoy. So basically, I have very limited expectations.
Hi there, any initial feedback on the new Philips ?

Back