Picture but no sound. Halp!

lubetek

I'm lost at this point. I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 that I bought new years ago. It has worked wonderfully ever since but lately I started running into a issue that I cannot seem to solve.

I used to use a PS3 for blu ray duties without issue but then I sold it and bought a PS4. The PS4 worked fine with it except when I tried to play a blu ray movie. No sound at all through HDMI. I could use optical no problem but I wanted to use HDMI.

So I hooked up a dedicated Sony BDP-S6500 blu ray player and I have the same issue. I get a picture but no sound. Swapped HDMI cables, nothing, changed HDMI ports on the back of Onkyo...nothing. I know how to assign the HDMI to the selected source. I've had this receiver for a number of years and I know it inside and out.

My Xbox One via HDMI works flawlessly. But the PS4 and two other Sony blu ray players only provide a picture and no sound through HDMI.

I tested all devices on my Sony TV and sound outputs fine via HDMI. But once I try it on the receiver the sound stops.

I did discover tonight that is I set the Onkyo to MONITOR OUT - OFF then the sound starts working from HDMI but of course I do not get any picture.

I've set sources to PCM with no joy as well. I'm at a loss. The receiver is HDCP compliant and use HDMI 1.3a. The Xbox One sends both picture and sound via HDMI through receiver so I just don't understand why the Sony sources do not.

Does anyone have any idea? I'm wondering if I should buy another brand blu ray player or another receiver...this is really killing me lol.

Ok I figured it out on my own. Turns out my br player is the latest HDMI and HDCP. My projector and AVR are both HDMI 1.3a. And all of my HDMI cables were the old 1.3a versions.

My AVR would not pass the video and audio together. I upgraded my AVR and swapped in some high speed HDMI cables and BAM everything worked.

All is well and I am so happy I bought a new AVR as it is hands down superior in every way.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back