Pink Floyd Discovery Box Set

TaureanBull

Got a hand on the Pink Floyd digitally remastered Discovery Box Set from a friend.The remaster consists of 14 Albums (16 Audio CDs) as under:-

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

A Saucerful Of Secrets

More

Ummagumma

Atom Heart Mother

Meddle

Obscured By Clouds

The Dark Side Of The Moon

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

The Final Cut

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

The Division Bell

The remaster is available at flipkart for Rs 7313/-. It was released sometime in Sep 11 but I guess there is no mention on the forum.

Flipkart.com: The Discovery 14 Studio Album Catalogue music: Music: English Audio CD 2011

Review
This is the best digital remaster from Pink Floyd till date. It is a remaster without changing the basic fabric of the content. The remaster sounds like a reproduction of what was originally created. Although I dont have all the collection but I do have most of the collection either in Vinyl or Audio CDs. This one is top notch and a real tribute to the legend.

The packaging contains booklets of lyrics and some pictures.

Verdict
5*. A must have for all Pink Floyd fans. :licklips: I am out of budget as of now so will listen on borrows...:)

Last edited:
"This is the best digital remaster from Pink Floyd till date"

Really? Can you elaborate a bit on DSoTM please. I don't want to buy another copy and feel sorry later. I already have 3 of them in storage (including the SACD). The only version that gets played is the MFSL Ultradisc2.

Thanks in advance

Most of the pink floyd releases are pretty good. the previous ones are doug sax remasters who did a pretty good job. unless you have heard the new ones and really like them, there doesnt seem to be much of a point in buying a 7 grand reissue.

I have the entire collection in flac as well as a studio remastered dolby digital version of DSOM.
I have also painstakingly converted the other albums as well into dolby digital format over a period of 3 years.

Though I personally like the 2 channel flac version, the dolby digital versions have come out extremely well.

This remastering was the work of James Guthrie (who was the co-produces of The Wall and the hidden force behind The Wall's video version) and the cover design and write-ups by long time Floyd associate Storm Thorgerson

I have the entire collection in flac as well as a studio remastered dolby digital version of DSOM.
I have also painstakingly converted the other albums as well into dolby digital format over a period of 3 years.

Though I personally like the 2 channel flac version, the dolby digital versions have come out extremely well.

Could you please elaborate on how to converted them to DD???

You can now easily do it with softwares like WinDVD 9.

I had then used a propitiatory software tool obtained from a friend which offered high bit rate support and abundant manual assignment settings. It was something like the open source "Audacity" if you have ever used it. However the software had quite a few bugs and often used to hang, but then it was very good in what it was supposed to do.

"This is the best digital remaster from Pink Floyd till date"

Really? Can you elaborate a bit on DSoTM please. I don't want to buy another copy and feel sorry later. I already have 3 of them in storage (including the SACD). The only version that gets played is the MFSL Ultradisc2.

Thanks in advance

Firstly, I agree that 7K is a bit too spending because most of the Pink Floyd lovers would have few of the vinyls/CDs already and they wont like to buy the entire set. If the digital remaster is available as single album it would be better.

Secondly, abt yr question of DSOTM. If you have the 2003 SACD then you dont need to buy this one. The 2003 version was superb IMHO. It would make sense to buy this set if you are looking for more albums than this one.

Most of the pink floyd releases are pretty good. the previous ones are doug sax remasters who did a pretty good job. unless you have heard the new ones and really like them, there doesnt seem to be much of a point in buying a 7 grand reissue.

I got the reissue, and replaced my earlier set of Pink Floyd CDs. The newly remastered versions are a significant improvement over the versions I had bought in the 1990s. However, there is a twist - the remastered DSOTM, IMO, still does not sound as natural and undistorted as the MFSL version.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back