Pink Floyd remasters

wishihadtubes

In case you haven't already heard, Pink Floyd today announced the launch of a major campaign to release remastered versions of all their 14 albums. There will also be deluxe and super deluxe versions of three classic albums: "The Wall", "Wish You Were Here" and "Dark Side Of The Moon".
The special editions will include severals discs with unreleased demos, live tracks and other materials. More details at this website 'Why Pink Floyd...?'

In case you haven't already heard, Pink Floyd today announced the launch of a major campaign to release remastered versions of all their 14 albums. There will also be deluxe and super deluxe versions of three classic albums: "The Wall", "Wish You Were Here" and "Dark Side Of The Moon".
The special editions will include severals discs with unreleased demos, live tracks and other materials. More details at this website 'Why Pink Floyd...?'

That gonna be rocking !!

hmm. interesting. most of the remasters of floyd are pretty good. latest ones are by doug sax iirc. dont know why they are launching new ones.

The live stuff and demos will be good to have. there is a serious dearth of official live material from floyd. when is bbc going to release their stuff on floyd, or many other bands for that matter? they are sitting on a gold mine and dont want to encahsh it. Floyd demos stuff is really good. if you hear the original money, you wont believe. there are quite a few jams also in their live dsotm stuff. but my fav demo material will be the animals album, forget the music, even the song names are different.

I am assuming these are David Gilmour led PF remasters. What is confusing is the releases on video formats. Will have to wait and see if these are any new concert shows or existing ones.

While I am a HUGE PF fan, they already have pretty decent recordings and remasters. Sounds like extending the lines to milk more money.

I am assuming these are David Gilmour led PF remasters. What is confusing is the releases on video formats. Will have to wait and see if these are any new concert shows or existing ones.

While I am a HUGE PF fan, they already have pretty decent recordings and remasters. Sounds like extending the lines to milk more money.

Nope... these are EMI led... with the blessings of the ENTIRE original lineup!

Remasters of already remastered stuff. Well, more exciting is the Blurays that will be coming out towards the end of the year. :yahoo:

doors666
"don't know why they are launching new ones"

In order to sell more copies and make more profits.

Rock musicians love to rant against the establishment. The target market for their 'dystopian' music is, the new generations of idealistic teenagers/older generations of idealistic adults, chasing a utopian ideal of 'equality' and 'freedom' in the music they listen to.

But rock music is mainstream music. It always has been. The long hair, torn jeans and the clouds of smoke hovering around the 60's and early 70's, were partly about 'ideals' and partly a passing fad. Since the late 70's, the dream like future, glimpsed through a smoky,sixties haze, no longer rings true. Rock music since then is firmly entrenched in the mainstream. It offers no panacea or solutions. Success, money and the establishment always go hand in hand. The "I can get no satisfaction" rockers, are probably as satisfied and contented as a well fed tabby cat. Like everybody else on this planet, they love it when the cash register keeps ringing :)

It could be that "the times they are a changing", or it could simply be that I have grown old and out of touch, but I feel that rock music lost it's raison d'etre, when it lost it's youthful idealism, in the early 70's.

Post 80's rock music has a synthetic and 'manufactured' feel. The new generation of rock musicians are unable to conjure up the spirit of the sixties. A few like Nirvana, Radiohead, REM may have succeed on some albums, but they seldom reach the level of Cream/Who/Led Zep/Rolling Stones/Doors/Bob Dylan/Neil Young/Jimi Hendrix/Lennon's solo albums or Pink Floyd's Meddle, Wish You Were Here, or Dark Side Of The Moon.

It could be that "the times they are a changing", or it could simply be that I have grown old and out of touch, but I feel that rock music lost it's raison d'etre, when it lost it's youthful idealism, in the early 70's.

Post 80's rock music has a synthetic and 'manufactured' feel. The new generation of rock musicians are unable to conjure up the spirit of the sixties. A few like Nirvana, Radiohead, REM may have succeed on some albums, but they seldom reach the level of Cream/Who/Led Zep/Rolling Stones/Doors/Bob Dylan/Neil Young/Jimi Hendrix/Lennon's solo albums or Pink Floyd's Meddle, Wish You Were Here, or Dark Side Of The Moon.

I agree. It's the advent of MTV and Glam rock that ruined the whole scene. But there have been few bands on and off, but certainly not like in the 70's. Nirvana were instrumental in putting grunge on the mainstream. A few bands of the 70's also produced some great stuff in the 80's like the Scorpions. 80's turned into a 'Metal-Era'. That's how the scene changed. The music changed.
I love some of the metal bands, but nothing like Led Zepp, Floyd, Doors etc...

But ajaybhai
As creativity is form of expression there is a time for every creative work through different media. be it classical to pop to rock music OR for ex. for painters from classic to 'isms (cubism etc.) to modern to abstract arts. Now I am really worried when "Delhi Belly" would be considered classic in say about 40/50 years time. :D

Seriously I wonder what makes a creative work long lasting ?

But ajaybhai
As creativity is form of expression there is a time for every creative work through different media. be it classical to pop to rock music OR for ex. for painters from classic to 'isms (cubism etc.) to modern to abstract arts. Now I am really worried when "Delhi Belly" would be considered classic in say about 40/50 years time. :D

Seriously I wonder what makes a creative work long lasting ?

Whether it is music, cinema or fiction, 'popular' art forms have a similar life span as a human life, currently around 70 years. People hold on to their memories and pass it on to their children and grandchildren. Three generations is about the maximum that popular mainstream works survive.

The test of a true classic begins a century after it's birth. Is it still powerful and relevant? Think about art which was
created before 1910. How many works are a part of your life and give you immense pleasure whenever you read, watch or listen to them. Those are the real classics!

When I listen to the music, I used to find great when I was in school and college, I find that most of it is 'forgettable' and meaningless. I would not call any of it a 'classic'.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back