My Early impressions of the Croft Line integrated amplifier

Update:
I took a plunge and got a Auralic Altair G1 DAC- Streamer (to replace the Lindemann Limetree Network) and am astounded by the improvement (sound stage width, image, details, separation, precision, timing, musicality, and all other cliches make sense now)
The PS audio Direct stream Jr did not do it for me and is gone after a brief couple of months stay.

The Chain: Auralic Altair G1- Croft - Harbeth P3ES (same room as in above pictures), streaming from Qobuz
4 hour listening session yesterday (yes I am bekaar)
Two hours and counting now…Santana is rocking “Abraxas” like I never heard it before.

I am now convinced achieving Synergy is the best kept secret in audio.
I reached this happy point after several expensive hits and misses. It was good learning though

You can go do step better. Use the Auralic only as a streamer. And get a better DAC. The dac in Auralic is just about ok.

Update:
I took a plunge and got a Auralic Altair G1 DAC- Streamer (to replace the Lindemann Limetree Network) and am astounded by the improvement (sound stage width, image, details, separation, precision, timing, musicality, and all other cliches make sense now)
The PS audio Direct stream Jr did not do it for me and is gone after a brief couple of months stay.

The Chain: Auralic Altair G1- Croft - Harbeth P3ES (same room as in above pictures), streaming from Qobuz
4 hour listening session yesterday (yes I am bekaar)
Two hours and counting now…Santana is rocking “Abraxas” like I never heard it before.

I am now convinced achieving Synergy is the best kept secret in audio.
I reached this happy point after several expensive hits and misses. It was good learning though
Yes, synergy is key. Most critical thing in audio apart from clever room acoustics and speaker placement and listening chair positioning. Get these right and 90 % of audio is done. You can work miracles with budget gear if you get these right.

You can go do step better. Use the Auralic only as a streamer. And get a better DAC. The dac in Auralic is just about ok.
I would if the pain in my pockets ease up. :)
The Auralic only has analog out and no digital out. But also I have a Bluesound node 2i with digital out.
What DACs would you recommend? (Keeping in mind the characteristics -objective and Subjective!!! of the Croft and Harbeth p3?)

Last edited:
For not much money, MHDT Pagoda or an Orchid should be fine. One uses the 1704 chip and the other the 1541.

If you are looking for a studio dac, a metric halo is fine. I think it’s available in India.

For not much money, MHDT Pagoda or an Orchid should be fine. One uses the 1704 chip and the other the 1541.

If you are looking for a studio dac, a metric halo is fine. I think it’s available in India.
Thanks Prem. I will explore these options.
BTW a studio DAC for home playback listening? Wouldn’t that be a bit clinical sounding?

ASR review by Amir says: “Combination of relative noise and distortion (Pagoda DAC) is so high that it lands the Pagoda DAC at the bottom of our ranking of nearly 400 DACs tested”!!! (There is more)

And Subjective reviews are glowing…

I already am loving it! :)

Last edited:
I don’t think studio dacs are clinical sounding. It’s more of a myth. Studio dacs will have better dynamics and transparency. R2R will have a richer midrange and sound more pleasant with a little added warmth.

I would always choose a studio dac because they are fairly neutral and also measure well. I will play with my downstream components to get my desired voicing.

To get that little warmth and midrange bloom, you can use solid core ic and speaker cables instead of stranded.

Last edited:
ARIES is the series for that I guess. Congrats on your setup though. BTW where did you buy the G1?
I bought it as an open box piece from a reseller who imports from Singapore

I don’t think studio dacs are clinical sounding. It’s more of a myth. Studio dacs will have better dynamics and transparency. R2R will have a richer midrange and sound more pleasant with a little added warmth.

I would always choose a studio dac because they are fairly neutral and also measure well. I will play with my downstream components to get my desired voicing.

To get that little warmth and midrange bloom, you can use solid core ic and speaker cables instead of stranded.
Thanks. I edited my above post. Just like with the Croft reviews the measurements are bad while the subjective opinions are full of praise. Having got the Croft and hearing for myself what it does, over the past months, I know which opinion I will trust…:cool:

I would if the pain in my pockets ease up. :)
The Auralic only has analog out and no digital out. But also I have a Bluesound node 2i with digital out.
What DACs would you recommend? (Keeping in mind the characteristics -objective and Subjective!!! of the Croft and Harbeth p3?)

I think it may not have a Digital out but you can connect the USB out to an USB DAC and I believe the Pagoda has it.

Could you please share the seller details?
Siva Subramanian-7010825497

I think it may not have a Digital out but you can connect the USB out to an USB DAC and I believe the Pagoda has
I think it may not have a Digital out but you can connect the USB out to an USB DAC and I believe the Pagoda has it.
But that’s for CD and external storage inputs? Would it output?

Thanks Prem. I will explore these options.
BTW a studio DAC for home playback listening? Wouldn’t that be a bit clinical sounding?

ASR review by Amir says: “Combination of relative noise and distortion (Pagoda DAC) is so high that it lands the Pagoda DAC at the bottom of our ranking of nearly 400 DACs tested”!!! (There is more)

And Subjective reviews are glowing…

I already am loving it! :)
Though their ratings are purely on measurement values, there are often biases to certan brands which is quite evident. Though one can take that route to short list, it is no holy grail. One need not drop products not approved by them if there are favorable user reviews or you got to listen and liked personally.
Either way i generally would prefer to listen if possible before buying if that option is available. That is one of the reasons i prefer used gear as there is price advantage and an option to audition before buying.

Two classic examples are the AmpCamp that was my main amplifier for 3+ years and the Truth Hornshoppe preamplifier both of which are at the bottom rung in their categories on ASR review ratings.
Not that I have heard too many preamps of varying prices, but the Truth was the most transparant of all that I have heard till date. I am very eager to own one in the future if I can find someone traveling from USA to India.
The one I heard was purchased on behalf of a friend from a hifivision member as my friend did not have an account here.

I learned from @prem that Glen Croft passed away recently.
By all accounts he was an exceptionally talented and a nice person too.
Sad news.
R.I.P. Glen Croft.

Just read on social media that Glen Croft wished for his amps (his legacy) to go with him when he was gone. So, they said that they would be taking down croftacoustics.co.uk website (which has no longer been accessible for the past 2 days). They also mentioned that the dealers of Croft amps are free to do whatever they wish with the remaining stock and anything unfinished on the bench will remain as is.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

R.I.P. Glen Croft.

Just read on social media that Glen Croft wished for his amps (his legacy) to go with him when he was gone. So, they said that they would be taking down croftacoustics.co.uk website (which has no longer been accessible for the past 2 days). They also mentioned that the dealers of Croft amps are free to do whatever they wish with the remaining stock and anything unfinished on the bench will remain as is.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
Interesting choice in a world where there’s a rush to corporatise any venture that is successful (or even not!). As an independent professional who resisted temptations to scale up beyond a point where I won’t be engaged with the core work myself, I understand and respect it. As also his virakti (can’t find an appropriate English word here) to not long for a legacy to continue after him. Though the legacy will continue in the lounges and minds of the users of his products for a couple of decades more.

Interesting choice in a world where there’s a rush to corporatise any venture that is successful (or even not!). As an independent professional who resisted temptations to scale up beyond a point where I won’t be engaged with the core work myself, I understand and respect it. As also his virakti (can’t find an appropriate English word here) to not long for a legacy to continue after him. Though the legacy will continue in the lounges and minds of the users of his products for a couple of decades

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back