My Early impressions of the Croft Line integrated amplifier

Congratulations on a fantastic amp!
Seriously one of the hidden gems in audio IMO.

How many hours do you have on them? Let them settle in for a while.
About tube rolling - listen to the amp for a while before you start.
Besides some of the tubes recommended can be quite expensive.

How about sharing some pictures of your setup! :cool::cool:

Regards

Analogous, pl keep in mind if you ever try Tekefunken, it takes more than 200 hrs for it to burn in. In this 200 hrs, it’s a complete roller coaster ride. Tesla also takes more than 100 hrs to run in.

@Analogous Very Good Writeup.
I Was Almost about to buy this Amp last year but the Pandemic uncertainty obliterated my plans.
It'd be great if you could share few pics and video if possible.

Analogous, pl keep in mind if you ever try Tekefunken, it takes more than 200 hrs for it to burn in. In this 200 hrs, it’s a complete roller coaster ride. Tesla also takes more than 100 hrs to run in.
I will keep these in mind Prem. And also (after a while) look for a Tesla. Even with the stock tubes, I think I still have some way to go to get used to and break in.

Congratulations on a fantastic amp!
Seriously one of the hidden gems in audio IMO.

How many hours do you have on them? Let them settle in for a while.
About tube rolling - listen to the amp for a while before you start.
Besides some of the tubes recommended can be quite expensive.

How about sharing some pictures of your setup! :cool::cool:

Regards

Thanks. It’s a very good amp but I hope I haven’t created unrealistic expectations :)
I have only had it for a few days. I don’t intend to tube roll anytime soon, till I feel comfortably familiar with this set up.
I am trying to figure out how to attach pictures here. Soon…

Here are some pictures. Apologies for the low lighting (tube light to be replaced)
At least it makes the mess less obvious :)

Attachments

• 0E65106C-5D89-40B3-94EA-2CA06A8BB4F7.jpeg
    0E65106C-5D89-40B3-94EA-2CA06A8BB4F7.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 056725AD-26BA-4453-A5F5-408C2BE95329.jpeg
    056725AD-26BA-4453-A5F5-408C2BE95329.jpeg
    580.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 06539CE1-FA6E-4EB2-87FF-CBACDFC176A5.jpeg
    06539CE1-FA6E-4EB2-87FF-CBACDFC176A5.jpeg
    562 KB · Views: 214
  • 706E50F2-BB78-4757-B45F-3550DB3506B5.jpeg
    706E50F2-BB78-4757-B45F-3550DB3506B5.jpeg
    503.9 KB · Views: 222
If possible remove the two floorstanders from the room. It will act as a passive radiator. Also if possible cover the TV screen.
I will hook up the floorstanders soon just to have a quick listen and move them. I use a shawl to cover the TV sometimes. Thanks

If after checking it out, you don’t plan to use the floorstanders, remove them from the room. And in case you decide to go with the floorstanders, get the Harbeths out of the room

Seems like too much cluttered room but hope is not lost. You can improve measurements by removing stuff and donating to me.
All that clutter is for subjective enhancement of the experience. I assure you I will go around the room listening to each object to find out if they are rattling or resonating. Who knows you may find a parcel arriving when you return home :)

All that clutter is for subjective enhancement of the experience. I assure you I will go around the room listening to each object to find out if they are rattling or resonating. Who knows you may find a parcel arriving when you return home :)
If possible remove the two floorstanders from the room. It will act as a passive radiator. Also if possible cover the TV screen.

Looks like a nice cosy den
I concur with Prem. The speakers do not rattle but if you out a hand on the driver you will find it will be vibrating and that adds on to the sound. If you are evaluating anything ideally do that without the additional speakers.

On a funny (!) note , i used to have a lazyboy clone in the my listening room, and when it went out i suddenly realized the sound went brighter but the midrange became cleaner .. something I had been trying to do via power cables and vibration control !

Also had to change my speaker position after that.,

I concur with Prem. The speakers do not rattle but if you out a hand on the driver you will find it will be vibrating and that adds on to the sound. If you are evaluating anything ideally do that without the additional speakers.

On a funny (!) note , i used to have a lazyboy clone in the my listening room, and when it went out i suddenly realized the sound went brighter but the midrange became cleaner .. something I had been trying to do via power cables and vibration control !

Also had to change my speaker position after that.,
Oh oh! I too use a Laz-boy recliner as a listening chair… looks like some experiments in moving stuff around in my room is due. Thanks Arj

Great write-up, Analogous. It’s always nice to vicariously experience someone else’s new acquisition :)
Also, nice to see the album list; an eclectic selection that reveals the identity of a true music lover
Happy listening!

Great write-up, Analogous. It’s always nice to vicariously experience someone else’s new acquisition :)
Also, nice to see the album list; an eclectic selection that reveals the identity of a true music lover
Happy listening!
Thanks @coaltrain. I wish more FM would write about their impressions of their amps, speakers and set up. Judging by the number of reactions I think more such would be welcomed. It doesn’t have to be of new acquisitions even.. Impressions of gear owned long term would be great too. I too started with some reluctance as some friends asked me to. I started with making short notes from time to time, revising these over several albums and listening sessions. I then threaded them into the narrative above. I was initially reluctant and lazy but I am glad I made the effort.
Hope to read more personal accounts from other FM here.

I recently received this amplifier from Croft Acoustics, UK spending £800+£160 FedEx shipping + 52%Customs tax.
It arrived in a plain cardboard box, weighing surprisingly light. The unboxing was quick as it contains the amplifier and power cable. No manual or anything else. I like it’s understated looks.

External appearance is minimalist in design and features a selector knob and two volume knobs and a power toggle switch. The finish and construction are elegant and solid. It does take a minute after switching on to start working. And there is no remote control or headphone out. I can’t imagine it can get simpler than this.

I chose this amp as I wanted a good match with the Harbeth p3ES, which I like, a lot. I would have loved to try a LFD amp, but the cost made Croft a more affordable choice. The amplifier uses a ECC83 valve for the input stage and Mosfets for output. It’s puts out 45-50W RMS

Objective measurements of the Croft (Stereophile) show rather disappointing figures. John Atkinson has used phrases such as 'incompetent', and reports a 6db roll-off within the audible frequency range on phono, and persistent distortion. I was a bit apprehensive after reading this, but now that I have it playing in my room, I am beginning to understand this amplifier and make my own subjective judgment, keeping in mind I am listening to music not measurements.

This amplifier in my opinion is special. It fluidly, vividly and convincingly carries tunes and draws you into the performance. The way it captures the range of tonal colors, the beauty of voices and instruments, the energy and life in the recorded event is very endearing. It’s a cliché, but it takes my system and musical enjoyment to new heights. The Croft- Harbeth combo gets me involved with the music very quickly (specially with good recordings).

Briefly about my set up: My room is about 12x15’. The Harbeth P3ES is pulled out about 3’ from the rear wall, on wooden stands. There is 3’ space on either side to the side walls. Slightly toed in, equidistant with my listening position (2 m). The tweeters are at ear level when I sit. Books on shelves are arranged at first reflection sites to the sides and there is a carpet on the floor. I am planning some more room treatment but not sure what to do.

All the listening was streamed Qobuz through a network streamer-DAC to Croft - P3- subwoofer. (More details at the end)

Sound: Right from the start it sounded good. Not “wow” good, but the more I listen I am more able to identify new details from tracks I am very familiar with. It is definitely a sound that leans towards “romantic” rather than “clinical” in character. It throws up a impressively wide sound stage. In some recordings I was looking to the sides (90-120 degrees!) as I heard unusual sounds that I then realised were part of the music. The imaging is not pin point (I think moving the speakers around a bit may improve this). The depth was also layered but not so clear that I could identify what was being played behind the singer every time. Height? Couldn’t make out.

The highs are extended and in some poor recordings the extreme high end sounded a bit shrill. Hopefully this will settle down over time. The transient notes are suspended beautifully in the air for just enough to be noticed and savoured (fluffy sugar candy melting in the mouth?)

The mids are prominent and female vocals are beautifully rendered with plenty of emotion. (Don’t know how to describe this better,) I did feel it sometimes smoothens vocals a bit too much, specially older gruffly male voices like Leonard Cohen, Louis Armstrong (in their later years)

The low freqs are substantial and satisfying. But I use a subwoofer as the Harbeths start rolling off at @70hz (?). The amount of low frequency detail retrieved and presented is substantial. I can’t explain this: but I find adding a reasonably well integrated sub makes the quality of mids and highs much better. This is what I found with Croft as also with other amps before. I recently read keeping the door open behind (if available of course) helps tame room modes for LF (check out discussions on the active bass traps and hole in the wall effects) not sure if this changes anything when I tried)

The entire presentation is tight, coherent and engaging. It also sounds a noticeably faster and more controlled than the Tube SET amp I was listening to before. With complex arrangements (eg: Beck- Morning Phase) the room is full of rich notes appearing and dispersing, each distinct, rising and fading. With slower mellow tracks the lush and relaxed presentation is very pleasant. (Eg:
)
The performance with hard and fast Rock and Roll seems good, but I would listen more to understand this aspect before expressing a definite opinion.

There is still lots of tweaks to try out in my set up (Sub crossover and volume, Change DAC, try CDs, move speakers around etc)

I listened to this set up nearly 8 hours yesterday and another 8 hours today. Infatuation? Definitely but I am also falling deeper in love with this inanimate object! This amplifier and the P3s match nicely. If this honeymoon progresses to true love, I am getting off the amp merry go round.

Albums listened:
Sade - Love Delux
Arooj Aftab - Vulture Prince
Bob Marley- Natty Dread
Ry Cooder - Chavez Ravine
Donald Fagen - Nightfly
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
John Mayer - Room for Squares
Ali Farka Toure - Savane
Beatles - Abbey Road (Remastered version)
Doobie Brothers-Captain and Me
Ray La Montagne- Ouroburos
Amjad Ali Khan - Indian classical Ragas
Supertramp - - Even in the Quitest moments
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Blues Traveler- Four
Garcia and Grisham - Shady Grove
Temptations - All Directions

Associated equipment: Lindemann Limetree network DAC, stock power cord, Kimber speaker cables, Harbeth P3ES on wooden speaker stands, KEF KC62.

Is it the best amp in the world? Silly question; there is no such thing. But for the price it’s excellent value.
Are there better amps? Dunno, maybe, possibly, who cares. This amp provides a pleasing mix of the Tube and SS characteristics.
What I do know is that it sounds really really good to me, in my room with my set up. I am wondering if a DAC upgrade would be worth it.

Grateful to Prem and others who encouraged me to take this plunge. Best decision I made in all of 2021.
Great review! Pics please!

Room looks great.

Here are some pictures. Apologies for the low lighting (tube light to be replaced)
At least it makes the mess less obvious :)
It's a pretty nice setup. Congratulations. :)
If I can remember correctly, you also have a Hegel H300. Did you part ways with that amplifier?

I will hook up the floorstanders soon just to have a quick listen and move them. I use a shawl to cover the TV sometimes. Thanks
You Could turn the Floorstanders other way round facing the Walls or Both Floorstanders on one side facing each other to mitigate the issue (them acting as Passive Radiators) to a large extent.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back