Pioneer DV300 as a hiq source

kaushik

The pioneer DV300(23,now discontinued i guess) was re-badged as goldmond transport (5850:mad:). This thing made news in the past ,the pictorial intro:

DV300
969938_1.jpg

GOLDMOND
969938_2.jpg

collected from goldmund ripoff - pink fish media

So what does that mean to us , well specially the diy guys
and (frenz!) can have a good transport done at home if they can grab one DV300.
I own one:yahoo:,it was there doing dvd duty.Never considered it for audio playback,until i got this page :goldmundizator

Here the author has written the possible ways to get a very good digital signal(SPDIF) from DV300.

There are few other mods he gave hint for getting the ultimate audio performance
1)change of 27Mhz clock ...> possibly tentlabs
2)change of PSU for digital circuit>R-core ,with 'mini regulator'(in diy audio ) and my preference would be Elna Silmic capacitor based one for being good for filtering and VFM.

3)Damping > spring dampers as in DIYaudio
4)triple cap sizes on the power board > may be near the chip also will help

and while searching these i have got one the fact that make the DVD player spdif sound bad :the dvd player is
not allowed to generate hiq spdif (some DRM related issue) ..some more light on this will be helpful.

MT1389 chip inside DV300 has two modes of digital out (say) hiQ and loQ(only the one available outside by default).

The mod page shows MT1389 how to get the better SPDIF.

Hope this will make some DV300 owners happy .

Mine Pioneer - 383 has got same chipset MediaTek MT1389FE . Will that too considerable?

i hope so check the service manual for the schematic match.
with a dedicated regulated supply,high quality clock,capacitor change etc applied audio output will improve .

Hi,

Kaushik good find :clapping:! so are you going to mod your player ??

Let Us know where you end up in this tweak saga !! once you have got it then perhaps you can name it "Kaushimund" :lol: !!

Looking forward to the future proceedings ;)!!

Regards.

soundsgreat,

thanks,i am planning.Ever since i went in the dac route... there are pretty good amount of things i have learnt.

I must say your speaker building experiment is inspiring to many of us:)..i have been following it,and learning too decided not to put any comments there.

The associated components i develop during the DVD player mod like highQ clock,PSU etc will help my future diy things to come.

what you see technically? how promising is that golmund transport usage of DV300 hardware and a mod applied to it.

soundsgreat,

thanks,i am planning.Ever since i went in the dac route... there are pretty good amount of things i have learnt.

I must say your speaker building experiment is inspiring to many of us:)..i have been following it,and learning too decided not to put any comments there.

The associated components i develop during the DVD player mod like highQ clock,PSU etc will help my future diy things to come.

what you see technically? how promising is that golmund transport usage of DV300 hardware and a mod applied to it.

Haa Haa ,
Excellent find There Boss :clapping:

Hi,

soundsgreat,

I must say your speaker building experiment is inspiring to many of us..i have been following it,and learning too decided not to put any comments there.

Well Kaushik good to know that you have been busy learning things !

Hmm why not post ?? whats wrong in posting ???

Coming to the Tech bit of Goldmund, The Drive which they have upgraded seems ok,the circuit is not one of the best for Audio but as a transport alone can work ! Also after the lampizators comments on the Sp/Dif out it seems this one those rare players to have textbook like out (reference grade) ! So thats again something to look forward to in the player !!

But finally what matters is how one proceeds and what one thinks of the sound !

Regards.

Hi,

Hmm why not post ?? whats wrong in posting ???

Regarding your woofer driver building (your thread),i am a noob ,also i have no special info on the component links for speaker driver building so thought let experts do the design i will comment on the end product .

Hi,

Regarding your woofer driver building (your thread),i am a noob ,also i have no special info on the component links for speaker driver building so thought let experts do the design i will comment on the end product .

Well Kaushik Am no expert either :D !! I too only learnt a great deal bout them while building my tweeter,now Am applying the same theories and principles (well not the exact same but you get the idea) !!

A Sample Driver is already built but have not opened any special thread as I don't how many are interested reading (going by the response of the tweeter thread ;)) !! So if you wish you can drop in and check out !

If some of you folks think it'd be interesting to read or check out the details will surely open a thread ;)!

Regards.

shree,

as suspected you are proactive,i will give you call for a visit ! I need to talk about my dac .
About the thread you can wait a while till you come with good looking end product where you used your designed woofer tweeter pair .

Things will change ...in our stick to conversion country
very less people go diy route .But i must say many people here encouraged me in my dac thread.

I tried to help people in free Dac thread ,i am sad the thread is sleeping without any :mad: activity.

I am searching for damper arrangement for the DVD player mechanism which will do the job as in Goldmond.Will post here.

Last edited:
I don't how many are interested reading

There are so few who have advanced skills required
for driver building, modding hi-end stuff etc, so
meaninful contributions will be limited to a few.
But the unskilled ones (at least this one) are
keenly reading posts by you, Kaushik, Cranky,
Sumit, Suri, George, and others, and hope to learn
at least a little. :)

some info that relates to the damping of the CD abd DVD players including pioneer DV300.

First adding roller bearing:
People claim huge improvements after adding roller bearing.May be due to damping support they provide. They are cheap and any one can make !Even existing cd player owners can try .

The diy version how-to here:
http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio/roller_bearings/roller_bearings.html

I suggest add a outer acrylic ring/metal ring .Metal ring can be collected from motor garage or auto shop.This will give same look as the professionally made one.

This is a machined AL version
thumb_bearing_right_side_up_close.jpg

CDP tweaks are here :

cdp.html

Second, the drive damping
The full damping procedure is available here Modifying the Toshiba SD-3950 DVD Player for Audio Use

The author changes a toshiba SD-3950 dvd player
for audio use.He uses caulk tube,weather stripping material and isodamp paper .

The tray looks as it is when it comes outside ,so does not spoil the look.

Last edited:
Hi,

shree,

as suspected you are proactive,i will give you call for a visit ! I need to talk about my dac .
About the thread you can wait a while till you come with good looking end product where you used your designed woofer tweeter pair .

Things will change ...in our stick to conversion country
very less people go diy route .But i must say many people here encouraged me in my dac thread.

I tried to help people in free Dac thread ,i am sad the thread is sleeping without any activity.

I am searching for damper arrangement for the DVD player mechanism which will do the job as in Goldmond.Will post here.

Yes I Am working hard on these things !! please do whenever you want !

Well that Am not too sure,have many plans so don't how things shape up ;)!

Good to hear that people encouraged you in the DAC thread,perhaps I was not that lucky :p !!

Well thats the problem Kaushik,you try to help and people have different opinions :mad:!!

I tried to help few folks ( with buying used stuff and such) and they were always suspecting me of being a broker or someone with some huge gains in mind :indifferent14:,so only have put a break to all that ! if they have problems let them solve themselves,I know its not the right approach but its much better then helping and getting a attitude from the folks !

Our country and people,what can I say :sad: ??

There are so few who have advanced skills required
for driver building, modding hi-end stuff etc, so
meaninful contributions will be limited to a few.
But the unskilled ones (at least this one) are
keenly reading posts by you, Kaushik, Cranky,
Sumit, Suri, George, and others, and hope to learn
at least a little.

Prasad we are the same,atleast I don't consider myself as a advanced skilled person or something !! but yes I have worked my butt off on some projects hence the practical knowledge ;) !!

Kaushik the info in your last post seems good to,but I would caution against going full swing on that damping thing as the material is very very important and a mistake in choosing the right one will lead to unwanted problems !

Regards.

@Soundsgreat

Damping is the last task... will talk to you and many before doing it.

After opening the DV300 and going through schematic:)) i got the full service manual!),

i am convinced that the SPDIF mod should give a better output .The ASPDIF signal that lampizator has taken out is clean... the default co-ax out is driven by a discrete stage
(Q8005),may be the poor component and dirty 'V+5V A'
is the reason of degradation.

Some good things i saw ..
1)It has a line filter already,may be a basic one.Also has MOV for protection.
2) Almost all electrolytes are rubycon( japan made..i guess).

The player needs a clean audiophile grade supply for different sections +5v ,+3.3v and +12V ,a 27Mhz v low jitter clock,may be a hiq spdif stage(need to get more info on this)as well as all the other mods listed in the lampizator page .Let me complete my study on this one.
Anyone wants the manual of dv300,just pm me.

Hi,

Good to hear the progress :) !

I've already have said that according to the lampi guy its the best out ! so nothing to talk bout there !

Sure let me know any help you need !! Looking forward to seeing the completion of the project !!

Regards.

The player needs a clean audiophile grade supply for different sections +5v ,+3.3v and +12V ,a 27Mhz v low jitter clock,may be a hiq spdif stage(need to get more info on this)as well as all the other mods listed in the lampizator page .Let me complete my study on this one.
Anyone wants the manual of dv300,just pm me.

Hi Kaushik, all,
sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'd be interested in tweaking my DV-300 in order to use it as a transport.

I've already read lampizator pages, but the datasheet I found for MT1389 shows a SPDIF pin which seems far from the area used by lampizator. Besides, I'd like to use a digital GND different from the analog GND lampizator uses in his page (and w/o any cap).

I'd like to have the service manual and to learn what you all suggest in order to have hiq spdif, etc....

TIA,

Stefano

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back