Pioneer Dv610 or Dv 220

jayantadak

Hi folks,

I just went through several posts and specifications of DV 610 and DV 220 DVD players from Pioneer. I am confused as to which should I opt for. The 220 appears to be an advanced one, but according to the reports there is hardly a player in that category to beat DV 610.

My main queries are :(1) Do both players avi / Divx format files (i.e. movies downloaded from the net and later copied on the USB.

(2) Can I play avi/Divx files and other data by connecting the playr to an external hard disc.

(3) The DV 610 specifies that it plays DVD-Audio and SACD. Does it have any relevance since the DVD-A and SACD material is very rare and expensive too.

(4) Is there any specific reason as to the price difference between the two sets is Rs. 2000. The 610 sells for RS. 6500 whereas the 220 retails for RS. 4500.

Please let me know as I am zeroing on the DV 610. But if playability of DVD-A and SACD is the only other extra feature on DV 610, then I would rather stick to DV 220. No point in shelling out 2K extrra. If there is any other point to be considered kindly post.

Regards

JAYANT

Spiro, have we not discussed this many times before? The questions look very familiar.

Cheers

Hi folks,

I just went through several posts and specifications of DV 610 and DV 220 DVD players from Pioneer. I am confused as to which should I opt for. The 220 appears to be an advanced one, but according to the reports there is hardly a player in that category to beat DV 610.

My main queries are :(1) Do both players avi / Divx format files (i.e. movies downloaded from the net and later copied on the USB.

(2) Can I play avi/Divx files and other data by connecting the playr to an external hard disc.

(3) The DV 610 specifies that it plays DVD-Audio and SACD. Does it have any relevance since the DVD-A and SACD material is very rare and expensive too.

(4) Is there any specific reason as to the price difference between the two sets is Rs. 2000. The 610 sells for RS. 6500 whereas the 220 retails for RS. 4500.

Please let me know as I am zeroing on the DV 610. But if playability of DVD-A and SACD is the only other extra feature on DV 610, then I would rather stick to DV 220. No point in shelling out 2K extrra. If there is any other point to be considered kindly post.

Regards

JAYANT

HI
Check out the thread "The Pioneer DV-220 DVD Player". Venkatcr has done a great review. Go to the last post of this same thread and you will also see the idiot's version of a review by yours truly.

As to your first question: Yes DV220 supports avi/DivX format file

Second question: you can play avi/DivX and Jpeg stored on an external HDD provided the HDD is formatted in FAT32 and NOT NTFS. Format the HDD with an app called swissknife V3 from compuapps (google it)

Third question: only you can answer this one. But you are going to be using a DVD player primarily for watching movies, no?? If you are going to be using it for listening to audio, it's not bad but remember that in the case of MP3 music you will probably need to switch on the TV in order to navigate around the multiple folders.

Fourth question: The reason as to price difference between the two. Hmmmm let me think. Probably in order to confuse buyers so that people with more money, will think that they are playing safe and being future proof by buying the more expensive one. Difference will be there, but the DV220 is more than capable of carrying out its primary task i.e. playing movies.
Additional features of 610 I don't really know. Check online if it supports analog 5.1 audio out because that is the only department where I see the DV220 falling short.

Cheerio

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back