Pioneer htp 521 or sony strd 550

singhsk1962

Dear,
Pl suggest to purchase Pioneer HTP 521 or Sony STRD 550. Need simple Home theater to Listen Some Music + watch Videocon D2h.

Pl suggest which one is good. No audition available for both.

Dear,
Pl suggest to purchase Pioneer HTP 521 or Sony STRD 550. Need simple Home theater to Listen Some Music + watch Videocon D2h.

Pl suggest which one is good. No audition available for both.
HTP 521 is a full package and STR DN 550 is an AV reciver with which you will have to buy speakers. Check sticky threads at Surround sound section of this forum and ask there after reading all the sticky threads..
If you want a super simple setup ..get sony HT-IV300. Search the forum for the reviews.

In terms of power compared to these two systems SONY is powerful here.
I don't think so.. ..Sony overrates the power by not quoting power figures for all channel driving with 20-20kHz operation.

Last edited:
20khz, the model name of Sony is str dh 550 which comes with proper speakers.

I am owning sony str dn1050 which is excellent than what i expect.

And sorry for denying.

Yes, agree with vinothkumar,

Frankly, I was blown away from Sony Str series.
The bass punch from front speakers, the mind range clearity, the high are just great.
Full salute to Sony R&D team. Sound never heard before.

I have had Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz.
But frankly liked Sony.

Thought not famous in AV Reciever market.
I am sure Sony will be undoublty king of AVR in upcoming years. I dream to to listen Sony STR DA5800ES in some day.

Singhsk1962, I recommend import Sony STR1050 or 850 from US. Instead of getting costly low end speakers from package, You can buy good medium range drivers/ speakers.

I too recommend SONY to import but before buying it remember about few risks. You have to pay few more amount for shipping and import duties.

Sony india does not accept international warranty. But you will get service and you have to pay for it. Moreover you have to buy a step down transformer.

Think twice, get audition of whatever brand you want and then decide.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back