Pioneer rack system from late 80s

pathakajit

My Pioneer rack system from the late eighties. I believe the year to be 1988-89 as this is the year of print for the owners manual.

Components
Pioneer DC-Z82 Tape Deck Amplifier (Twin Cassette Player + Stereo Graphic Equilizer + Amplifier)
Pioneer F-Z92 (AM/FM Tuner, Optional Extra)
Pioneer PD-Z72T (Twin Tray CD Player)
Pioneer PL-Z92 (Automatic Stereo Turntable)
Pioneer S-Z82D (3 Way speakers)
Pioneer S-X7 (2-Way Surround Speakers)

wprtpsq.jpg

TZ98sss.jpg

The sound stage is very detailed and clear.
The amp has a CD Direct option which bypasses the Stereo equilizer while playing CDs. The sound reproduction is then more natural and neutral.
There is also a Wide stereo/surround mode where in the equilizer seems to be working in full swing - Output is punchier with a wider sound stage. This also seems to have an effect similar to pushing the 'Loudness' button on the amps of yore. :lol:

The 3 way bookshelf type speakers are in immaculate condition and rated at 75w, 6ohm. They cabinets are MDF, covered with walnut grain vinyl.
Clarity is immense however, the lows are weak - Detailed, but weak. I suspect the amp/equilizer to be responsible for this. Lowest frequency adjustable on the equilizer is 60Hz..

Fzlkh4w.jpg

4cGj4mB.jpg

ORqii4Y.jpg

0VOW5gg.jpg

8iaEKzh.jpg

I plan to hook these speakers to a different amp and test their low frequency abilities.

The Surround speakers are also covered in the same walnut grain vinyl and look very well put together. they are fairly heavy and have curved edges on the front panel, which i suspect is made of solid wood. The speakers are rated at 45w, 16ohm (I was surprised). Very interestingly the surrounds also have a selector for high/low attenuation. These are punchy speakers with good tonal abilities and clarity.
Unlike the 3way speakers, these have an RCA jack and are wall mount enabled.

Upat0ae.jpg

The cassette tape deck needs a service and the turntable needs a new belt. Rest of the components are fully working.

In my opinion this is a good system blending the goodness of the (G)olden and the new age electronics. They surely do not make 'em like this anymore!

Next step would be to build a rack for the entire system..

Friend,

The system really looks good in nice cosmetic condition in spite of so many years.Those were the days when AV equipments were of solid construction.

Thanking you,

pksnathan

Really nice piece of equipment. I used to dream when I was kid to have a setup like this. My uncle had a similar lineup as this, but they were from Technics.

Cheers!

Thanks, Kanna.Sridharan.
I still dream of owning a pristine Technics rack system from the solid state days.. :eek:hyeah:

Really nice piece of equipment. I used to dream when I was kid to have a setup like this. My uncle had a similar lineup as this, but they were from Technics.

Cheers!

Kanna Sir, Echo your Dream. I had seen a technics rack in a recording studio and fell love with them.Felt to own such rack system one day, But due to space constraint Just gave off them, moreover its pretty rare to find with mint condition these days.

Now dreams were about to have a good Integrated+speakers combo.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back