Pioneer SA-408 Stereo Amplifier

zelda

I got a Vintage Pioneer SA-408 from a friend. I thought of selling it since I have a Marantz PM 6004 Amp. Later I repaied the amp from authorized pioneer service which cost me a few thousands but ... it was worth it.

I didnt know that vintage stuff sounded this good.

Now I am using this amp in my main set up with Elac B6.

I dont have much specs regarding this amp but it is 20 W@ 8 ohms and 30 W@ 4 ohms according to Sir google.

But it feels much more than that in real world.:clapping:

Congrats Zelda,

Legendary Vintage (Win-Age) Midrange Amps with proper maintenance would sound miles ahead of today's Midrange Amps +You get a Warm sound, Powerful as well more they been specified in the catalog.

Vintage Addiction I would say, You have taken nice decision to repair them.Take care of them , they would sound better for ages.

Last edited:
Congrats. This amp looks nice. Its nice that you took the time to repair the beauty. I have bought a Pioneer SA9900 in very bad condition and put for repair. I am supposed to get it delivered on next Sunday. Hope it works well.
Those vintage things has a charm of its own and a sound I like very much.

Yes. Excellent quality sound for a fraction of the price. :)

I sold my Marantz and kept my Pioneer. :clapping:

Congrats. This amp looks nice. Its nice that you took the time to repair the beauty. I have bought a Pioneer SA9900 in very bad condition and put for repair. I am supposed to get it delivered on next Sunday. Hope it works well.
Those vintage things has a charm of its own and a sound I like very much.

Congrats! :clapping::clapping::clapping:
From where did you pick it up? Dilip Da or Metro Music Hall?

How much did you pay? Who have you given it to for restoration? Ashok Mondal?

Extending my Vintage madness, I have bought a Original NAD 3020A. Yet to receive it. I dont think it is in excellent condition but wondering where to service and restore it in Bangalore. From the pics, there is some rust on the body but appears to be working fine. Hopefully:beer:

as someone who moved from a vintage pioneer (SA 606) to an NAD 3020A - prepare to be underwhelmed by the NAD - The Pioneer has exaggerated lows and highs which gives a better first impression than the NAD, which is much more warm, and needs time to grow on you. try listening to music with good vocals, and you'll find why it is so highly rated

also, remember to use the Lab in, if the jumpers are not set to already

Congrats! :clapping::clapping::clapping:
From where did you pick it up? Dilip Da or Metro Music Hall?

How much did you pay? Who have you given it to for restoration? Ashok Mondal?

19K. Well that's a bit too much I know. But the front fascia is in very good condition. Internals needed some repairing. Yes Ashoke da is doing it.

I just couldn't let it go though it needed repair. And it is built like a tank. There are glowing reviews of this amp on the net. Ashoke da says it sounds very good and that is a huge certificate for the amp which was released around 1975.

Attachments

• IMAG1585.jpg
    IMAG1585.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 147
I moved from a lot of other gear to NAD 3020. We have the original 3020, 3020A and 7020e at home. I would rate the 3020 higher than the 3020A but NAD gurus usually rate the 3020A higher (as apparently NAD addressed some design issues while launching the 3020A).

as someone who moved from a vintage pioneer (SA 606) to an NAD 3020A - prepare to be underwhelmed by the NAD - The Pioneer has exaggerated lows and highs which gives a better first impression than the NAD, which is much more warm, and needs time to grow on you. try listening to music with good vocals, and you'll find why it is so highly rated

I guess you are right. The NADs are a little laid back if compared with the Pioneers but more powerful. But the NAD is not in good shape. Worse than I thought. Does anybody who sevices NAD in banaglore?

Also, can we do anything about the rust on the Amp? Any way to restore it?

Thanks for bringing the jumper settings to my attention.I have done it and there is noticeable improvement in SQ.:clapping:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back