Planning to buy Accuphase E-480

terrible

Guys I am planning to move to an integrated amp and in about six months completely separate audio from home cinema. I have been given a price by the distributors but I would not like to reveal that here. However, from those who have had or have this amplifier or from those who just know, I would like know what a good price will be for E480. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Their respective distributor might have told them not to disclose their mutual settled prices just like in your case. :)

It will be a good idea if you disclose the price but not the name of dealer/distributor you are buying from in case there are more than one place to buy.

To be very honest with you and the way an Accuphase E480 sounds or the amount of "tech" or quality parts it has inside I would not pay a dime over Rs 3.5 lacs for it. Their pricing is mindless worldwide except for their home market. But then unless it's priced mindless it's not "audiophile" too these days.

Their respective distributor might have told them not to disclose their mutual settled prices just like in your case. :)

It will be a good idea if you disclose the price but not the name of dealer/distributor you are buying from in case there are more than one place to buy.
I know what you mean . But I'll stay with this format.
To be very honest with you and the way an Accuphase E480 sounds or the amount of "tech" or quality parts it has inside I would not pay a dime over Rs 3.5 lacs for it. Their pricing is mindless worldwide except for their home market. But then unless it's priced mindless it's not "audiophile" too these days.
I think that price point in India is going to be impossible. Unless of course, it's second hand.

Terribleji, you don't want to upset your distributor by disclosing your fair price but don't you think the same distributor will get upset when we state the fair price as per our opinion?

We can only play this game if the rules are fair for all participants. You disclose your price and we disclose our price what we think should be a fair price..

Terribleji, you don't want to upset your distributor by disclosing your fair price but don't you think the same distributor will get upset when we state the fair price as per our opinion?

We can only play this game if the rules are fair for all participants. You disclose your price and we disclose our price what we think should be a fair price..
Yes panditji you are right. Maybe then they can PM me. But yeah I would not mind avoiding fair practice here as you define it.

Perfectly said about Accuphase E4x0 series. There are many better amplifiers for their retail price in India. You may add Luxman too here.

Perfectly said about Accuphase E4x0 series. There are many better amplifiers for their retail price in India. You may add Luxman too here.
Thank you for the suggestion. I would love more of these. I am also looking at Edge A, McIntosh MA8900, Puccini and Aacento from Audio Analogue. Just very difficult to listen to some of these right now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion. I would love more of these. I am also looking at Edge A, McIntosh MAC8900, Puccini and Aacento from Audio Analogue. Just very difficult to listen to some of these right now.
you should consider EAMlabs 202i and 260i as well , Dealer in Pune and well under 5L budget.
Mcintosh 9000 is a very Good amp but it should be costlier than e480 I believe.

one of my friend is using an eam lab element 302 power amp. its an ultra refined amp with musicality driven with quadral speakers.

recently he has upgraded to the upper model amp.make an audition after lockdown its a very hiend muscular amp

I was using Accuphase E470 for a short time and irrespective of what price you are getting, I would say that there are many better amps in the market. ASR, Symphonic Line, Acoustic Art, Pure Audio are few amps which comes to my mind.
Cheers

the price was 3 lacs sometime last year or maybe before that during the What Hifi exhibition in Regent Hotel in Mumbai ...I was looking to buy that during that time .....the volume was quite loud and so I asked him to lower the volume and switch on the Loudness Compensator button to hear how it sounds at low volumes ...he responded by saying this is a audiophile product and then simply moved away .......

the price was 3 lacs sometime last year or maybe before that during the What Hifi exhibition in Regent Hotel in Mumbai ...I was looking to buy that during that time .....the volume was quite loud and so I asked him to lower the volume and switch on the Loudness Compensator button to hear how it sounds at low volumes ...he responded by saying this is a audiophile product and then simply moved away .......

E480 retails close to 9 lakh. Don't think they sold it for 3 lakh.

E480 retails close to 9 lakh. Don't think they sold it for 3 lakh.
ok 2019 for sure .

Have I got the model number wrong ? looking at the current retail price its possible . E-480 was launched in Nov / Dec 2018 and this was a brand new model in March 2019 displayed in the exhibition .

At the same time I recollect that Luxman L - 509X when launched new in 2018 was available at HIFIMART for a special price of little less than 6 lakhs for some time and now its 10 lakhs . This I am 100% sure .

So these amps have a huge markup and this kind of variance is very much possible

Other than extreme markup I have never seen any other common factor among "audiophile" equipment. The amps discussed here may or may not sound good to various people, however I am sure one could at least equal it if not better it with a cheaper pro amp, and gain a lot more power at the same time. Audiophiles remind me a lot of snooty rich people drinking wine while waxing eloquent about it's subtle flavours, regardless of whether they actually perceive said subtle flavours, they will harp on about it. That said modern upper class India is nothing if not pretentious.

Not directed at anyone, a general observation.

OP, please forgive me but I have no idea about a fair price, however if you have heard it and like it and it doesn't pinch your pocket, by all means, enjoy!

ok 2019 for sure .

Have I got the model number wrong ? looking at the current retail price its possible . E-480 was launched in Nov / Dec 2018 and this was a brand new model in March 2019 displayed in the exhibition .

At the same time I recollect that Luxman L - 509X when launched new in 2018 was available at HIFIMART for a special price of little less than 6 lakhs for some time and now its 10 lakhs . This I am 100% sure .

So these amps have a huge markup and this kind of variance is very much possible

No, you are right. I was there at St. Regis too. But I don't remember the price being 3 lakhs, I do remember telling him I did not want to listen to it in that huge hall.

I think what they have in stock is relatively cheaper than what they'll have to import right now. Actually, it'll be significantly cheaper.
Other than extreme markup I have never seen any other common factor among "audiophile" equipment. The amps discussed here may or may not sound good to various people, however I am sure one could at least equal it if not better it with a cheaper pro amp, and gain a lot more power at the same time. Audiophiles remind me a lot of snooty rich people drinking wine while waxing eloquent about it's subtle flavours, regardless of whether they actually perceive said subtle flavours, they will harp on about it. That said modern upper class India is nothing if not pretentious.

Not directed at anyone, a general observation.

OP, please forgive me but I have no idea about a fair price, however if you have heard it and like it and it doesn't pinch your pocket, by all means, enjoy!
No, go for it man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys I am planning to move to an integrated amp and in about six months completely separate audio from home cinema. I have been given a price by the distributors but I would not like to reveal that here. However, from those who have had or have this amplifier or from those who just know, I would like know what a good price will be for E480. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Excellent choice for an Integrated amplifier.Apart from price ,it's one of the best integrated amplifier available in the market.
Being an User of e470 ,I can tell the following.
  • Goes well and can drive most of demanding speakers. ( Speaker-amp matching is very nice with most of speakers. )
  • Very good for Indian type of music.
  • Sound quality is absolutely fantastic.
  • Very much musical and relaxing .
  • Top Notch Tank like build quality.
  • Has More inputs / outputs connections.
  • Can be used as pre amp.
  • Can be used as power amp for HT applications. ( Dedicated pre by pass option is available).
  • U may need to have a
  • good DAC ,source and finally good speakers to bring to it's potential.

Some of Negatives.
  • Hefty price outside Japanese market.
  • DAC / Phono input is an extra option modules.
So IMO if u get a good deal on this e470/e480 .Don't miss it out.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back