plasma 42?

dhoomktoo

Hi guys..this is my first post here..I am in the market for a 42 inch plasma and have narrowed down on panasonic pv8 /80 and samsung 410. need help to finalise. Also I am looking for a best place to get a good deal in Pune for above sets? not sure who stocks both the sets which i cam compare against each other by going to the dealer. thanks!!!

Look at Panasonic brand shops, viz., Rajesh trading etc. You may find details on Panasonic website. Try calling Rajesh Trading Co. at 020-26127899/26127890 for Panasonic plasma's only.

Hi guys..this is my first post here..I am in the market for a 42 inch plasma and have narrowed down on panasonic pv8 /80 and samsung 410. need help to finalise. Also I am looking for a best place to get a good deal in Pune for above sets? not sure who stocks both the sets which i cam compare against each other by going to the dealer. thanks!!!

Welcome. Have a great time.

If you had already seen the demo of PV8/80, you know what they can do to SD quality. On that context, I would steer away from other brands and models if its for SD content.

But, there are loads of new models in plasma from other brands, that I would also look into.

Having said that, tried and tested, amazing VFM, good looking...then it has to be IMO - PV8.

:)

Last edited:
PV8 is out of stock everywhere.. :(
Please note that it is also power hungry than the 2009 models.

Shops are stocking only C10 and X10..

Meanwhile Guys, Does PV8 have an Anti-Glare filter?
The lowest cost model today with Anti-Glare filter is the B430.. It also has lesser power requirements and better SD processing than C10/X10. (Not sure how it compares to PV8).

called rajesh trading..they are saying panasonic has closed PV8 and they only have c10 :( wonder where can i get PV8? any other dealers in pune who might haveit? I dont mind just making the trip to mumbai if any dealers have it there..any clues?

Hi,

Got the PV8 recently. I don't really know if it has a glare filter.But i am not having any glare problems. I am very happy with this plasma.Tatasky and DVDs are looking great. Watched the animation movie 'UP' yesterday and it was fantastic.Haven't tried any 720p pictures since i don't have either a media player or a Bluray player.But you can search around for it. The wait will be worth it.

cheers,
sri

Also check out LG 42PQ70. That is one of the models which is as good as (if not better) than PV8x

I have a LG 42 PQ70 and I am very happy with the TV..

Do look around and see other models too, particularly Samsung B450..

Here are the highlights/lowlights you need for the decision.

Panasonic:

Common :
IR almost nil.
Good Black level.
Lesser colour accuracy.
Good horizontal motion resolution.
Photo playback using SD card slot.

PV8/PV80 - Almost sold out. High power reuirements. Good for SD.
C10 - No AntiGlare filter.
X10 - Has AntiGlare filter. Movie playback via SD (?!?!?). Surround sound though not effective.

Samsung:

Common :

Has effective AntiGlare (FilterBright)
High colour accuracy
Excellent SD reproduction
100 Hz processing
Bad speakers
No movie/Photo playback
IR susceptability more than panasonic.

B430 - No PC connectivity. No side connections (one less HDMI & composite)
B450 - Same as B450 with PC connectivity, side connections and headphone out.

LG:

Common:
Feature rich and the cheapest.
Excellent sound.
Photo/Mp3 playback in all plasmas.
Excellent menu navigation.
Poor Black levels in plasma standards (More than LCDs in the range). Hence bad for night viewing.
Panel has a blue tinge.
Colours better than panasonic but inferior to Samsung.

PQ30 - No single frame design
PQ60 - PQ30+USB SD movie playback+single frame design
PQ70 - PQ60+2 speakers+Bluetooth

This is my first post. I am not sure this is the right thread to post this question. Movies appear like tv serials on lcd/plasama while connected to Tata Sky. I saw a dvd on LG 50PQ70 last week at Spencer and that too looked like tv serial. I had recommended 42LH90 to my brother who was disappointed after buying and discovering this phenomenon. My question: is this a problem with TV or the transmission? There are new TV models with 24P true cinema and 5:5 pulldown features(like SL90, all 550 series sony TV), do they address this problem?

Hey all.

I am stuck.. pls help me..

42C10 - 41k
50c10 - 60k
42x10 - 46k

42b450 - 41
50b450 - 57k

Pls let me kno what i should go for. I m stuck between x10 and 50A450
and are the 50inches rightly priced>?

@Blasto
When you shoot a video from camcorder and watch on tv, you don't get the feeling of watching a movie. The video shot from the camcorder lacks something and it resembles more like a tv serial. In similar fashion, when you are watching a movie on lcd/plasama tv with tata sky, you don't get the feel of movie, its more like watching a tv serial. I believe CRT tv did not have this problem, movies and tv serials did have different view experience. I had seen LG 50PQ70 with dvd source (shared with other tvs) and this too lacked the feeling of watching a movie. on my vaio laptop, every thing appears perfect, may be because i watch only 720/1080p movies.

Hi Bang,

Are you talking about watching at the show rooms? SD pictures look crap at showrooms because so many TVs share one source. You have to watch the tellys at any of your friend's homes and which have ben running for some months. SD pictures have improved on my recetly boughr PV8 after a few weeks. Now you can't ever get the CRT pictures of SD on a big screen. But the Tatasky pics on my PV8 look good indeed tho not equal to CRT.

cheers,
sri

Sri,

I am talking about watching Tata Sky on LG 42LH90 LED TV at my home. My brother bought this tv on my recommendation and he was the first to find this: movies looks lifeless on the LED tv.

Sri,

I am talking about watching Tata Sky on LG 42LH90 LED TV at my home. My brother bought this tv on my recommendation and he was the first to find this: movies looks lifeless on the LED tv.

Movies on Tata Sky ,DVDs,HD will look video like on any TV that uses frame interpolation techniques((adding additional frames) to defeat motion problems. On the LH 90 try turning off the Tru 200hz motion. You should see some improvement though with increased blur/judder. This is one reason why Samsung came up with the option of customized dejudder/motion blur on their 2009 TV sets.
I am not very sure if there is a frame interpolation feature on the LG plasma.. Other plasmas that use frame interpolation would show the same effect too. Some panasonics like the european and NA V10s are known to do this. However IFC in plasmas unlike LCDs is hardly known to create any real world benefits and so people just leave it off. Infact many plasma models do not even feature this.

Last edited:
Why so much love for the PV8? It's an old discontinued model and has a older generation panel than the C10. By the way, the C10 is available for approx. 36,000 right now. At those prices the C10 is a steal.

Price quotes I got while purchasing a 42X10 yesterday on 17/01/10.

42C10 - 36,000
42X10 - 42,000 (purchased)
42S10 - 50,000
42G10 - 55,000 (friend purchased approx. a week ago) There are availability issues with this model, with no dealer having it in stock.
50S10 - 100,000
50V10 - 122,000 (Out of stock at all dealers)

Last edited:
Hi,

These prices are good compared to prices offered in Bangalore.
The Panasonic Brandshop ( Koramangala ) quoted 42K for 42C10 with exchange of 29" Flat TV. I believe this price is high!!!

Between C10 and X10 - As per the spec both of these use the same panel.
the only difference being the Anti glare filter. Am I right here?

Is the 6K price difference between C10 and X10 justified ?

People from Bangalore..Pls let me know other good shops to look for plasmas.

Thanks,
Sunil

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back