Plasma Burn-in

multifaced

I m in the verge of purchasing a flat panel TV, initially I thought of buying only a LCD, but after your valuable suggestions and auditions I changed my mind and started considering Plasma.

Now there is only one thing I m not clear about Plasma, the Burn-in. I could find lots of literatures about it. But no one mentions what is actual burn in time.

Is there any source which states the time required to create a burn in modern plasmas?

I am considering Panny X10/G10 and LG PQ70

let's get a couple of concepts clear:

1) Temporary Image Retention (TIR) - this is the ghost left behing on a plasma TV or a CRT when a static high contrast image is displayed for some time. This goes away fairly quickly on normal viewing.

2) Burn In - This is a bad thing. It is when the phenomenon witnessed during TIR becomes permanent, and always exists on the picture

3) Break in - this is the period usually given for many products to reach their optimal performance levels. In the case of plasma TVs, the first 100 hours of use are supposed to be the break-in period when the panel is most susceptible to burn-in and TIR.

TIR is one of the biggest irritants in owning a plasma, and as much as plasma owners try to downplay it, it exists and it is irritating. But it hasn't materially detracted from my enjoyment of my Plasma TV.

Burn-in is rare on modern panels, especially after the first 100 hours of break-in.

In addition to the Panasonic and LG, do consider the Samsung plasmas as well...they're excellent televisions (i own one). However, if you anticipate displaying a lot of static images like playing console games etc., an LCD would be a better idea.

I m in the verge of purchasing a flat panel TV, initially I thought of buying only a LCD, but after your valuable suggestions and auditions I changed my mind and started considering Plasma.

Now there is only one thing I m not clear about Plasma, the Burn-in. I could find lots of literatures about it. But no one mentions what is actual burn in time.

Is there any source which states the time required to create a burn in modern plasmas?

All the new generation plasmas have anti burn in programs or features.
For example my Q9 has pixel shift, which when enabled will keep turning the pixels on and off after dedicated intervals of time this will avoid causing any burn in.

Yes for the first 100 to 150 hours, keep your contrast toned down, run it at 50% . Once u cross 100 hours + then u can increase the same.

Thanks Psychotropic.. in fact i m not a gamer, used to watch tata sky and lots of movies (dvd). not thought of high def yet.

but still one of my questions still unanswered, i want an quantitative idea of burn in time. like after 1 hr TIR occurs or after around 10 hrs Burn in happens etc. so that i can go for a plasma with confidence..

Thanks Psychotropic.. in fact i m not a gamer, used to watch tata sky and lots of movies (dvd). not thought of high def yet.

but still one of my questions still unanswered, i want an quantitative idea of burn in time. like after 1 hr TIR occurs or after around 10 hrs Burn in happens etc. so that i can go for a plasma with confidence..

well it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer,image rentention can occur after about 1hr to 2hrs + of static image like a DTH symbol,when connected to PC,consoles etc.
BURN in can occur if u display a static image for a much longer time,usualy people have reported burn in,if they left a static image overnight,mostly people who used it for pc.

it's proportionate to degree of contrast......in deep black/ bright white scenarios it can be a matter of minutes, when it's less contrast, it'll take more time.

well it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer,image rentention can occur after about 1hr to 2hrs + of static image like a DTH symbol,when connected to PC,consoles etc.
BURN in can occur if u display a static image for a much longer time,usualy people have reported burn in,if they left a static image overnight,mostly people who used it for pc.

Don't worry too much about burn. Typically you wont have issues if you see static images upto 40% of your viewing time, i.e, if you want TV for 100hrs (yep you will spend a lot of time in front) then 40 of those hours could only show static images and you may not get the burn

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back