Plasma screen search started...Need help

I have zeroed in on the VIERA TH-P42V20D. Still I need to get clarified on the following doubts.

How is the SD picture Quality?

What about burn-in issues? Since we cannot find a logo-less channel, be it news or sports/movies.

I heard that V20 panel is nothing but a rebranded G20 which had issues with pixel color/black level stability. Have you people noticed any of these problems or they are too trivial? I tried to download the USer Manual. But no where it could be found.

Though I am lured by LED models due to their edge sharpness, natural colors in plasma outweighs this advantage IMO.

Over to you with a request to offer any suggestion on these. Thank You.

Grrrrr...this thing is driving me crazy...
I called up the Panasonic people and now the showroom guy says that they won't be able to sell 42V20... as it has been phased out...and he is suggesting me a new model U30 (the contrast ratio is not as good as V20) U30 is around 50k.

I would be buying the screen by the end of June first week and Im still confused. Please help before I take a silly decision.
1. Is it worth going for V20 if Panasonic is phasing it out? How much diff does a contrast ratio make? U30 has 2,000,000:1 while V20 had 5,000,000:1
Would my Plasma work well in medium light in my room? the room would not be completely dark.

2. Now it is V20 vs U30 vs Samsung/LG
Plz Help. :sad:

Grrrrr...this thing is driving me crazy...
I called up the Panasonic people and now the showroom guy says that they won't be able to sell 42V20... as it has been phased out...and he is suggesting me a new model U30 (the contrast ratio is not as good as V20) U30 is around 50k.

I would be buying the screen by the end of June first week and Im still confused. Please help before I take a silly decision.
1. Is it worth going for V20 if Panasonic is phasing it out? How much diff does a contrast ratio make? U30 has 2,000,000:1 while V20 had 5,000,000:1
Would my Plasma work well in medium light in my room? the room would not be completely dark.

2. Now it is V20 vs U30 vs Samsung/LG
Plz Help. :sad:
madhurkishore, the U30 has the new G14 panel and its black levels are as good as V20. I have seen the HD-ready 50X30D close to 50V20D and for five minutes I could hardly spot the difference (souce = demo blu-ray).

The normal human eye cannot spot the difference between such high DCR (2,000,000:1 vs. 5,000,000:1). The moving lines resolution in U30 is 900 vs. 1080 in V20. Once again, I doubt whether a normal human eye can spot the difference. These are numbers that justify the manufacturers pricing. Whether we get convinced or not, that is up to us.

But you should demo the pieces yourself. I am also going to demo the models - albiet in the 50" space. At the moment, the showrooms here say that they do not have a piece as yet. I am not entirely convinced that I should spend near 100,000 for 50V20D especially when I have a projector at home.

I will say - go back to the showroom and demo the items again. Don't give the salesman any impression of desperation.

Vijjy

Have you checked with Reliance Digital. some of the stores still have 42v20 D model

Possibly just my eyes but I do see difference in full HD vs. HD ready when compared. I took demos from sensible distance (8ft for 50"). Full HD has the sharpness and "bite" that HD ready can't meet. At 42" the difference is not very evident. However, most HD ready panels have lesser dynamic range and poor black levels. So why not invest couple of thousands more and get a full HD.

probably , but are you really going to watch that close.

comparatively expensive full hd set usually comes with better spec like higher contrast , processing etc, this is probably why full hd set look better to someone rather than resolution

if you are going for 50" and above then gofor full hd

Thanks for confirming that Borg. Doesn't it matter if you are viewing the screen from close quarters say 3-4 feet?
Watching from as close as 3-4 feet? Though unlikely occurence in daily usage, this depends upon the source.

1. SD source: HD-Ready will show a better picture because TV does not have to adjust for too many extra pixels to display image in native resolution.
2. 720p source: HD-Ready TV will show better picture as it does not have to compensate for the native resolution.
3. 1080p source: Full-HD TV will obviously excel.

The effect will be more apparent in images that also have text or sharp objects. For example, if you are watching a source that is displaying woods, trees, garden, flowers, etc. (soft/round edge objects), you will not feel that much difference. But the image contains building, church spires, sharp objects, text, etc., your spouse will start cursing you - spent a huge amount of money on TV and it cannot even show clear/crisp images. :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back