Plasma screen search started...Need help

madhurkishore

I'm planning to buy a Plasma TV (budget upto 45k). The budget can be expanded if need be. The size should be 42" and my requirements would be not for watching television right now. What I want is that I can connect my hard disc to the Television and watch HD movies and Blu ray rips apart from TV Series stored in it. I had a Sony bravia at my place before, but it did not support all file formats when I connected my hard disc to the TV. A huge disappointment. Can you guys suggest some models which can help my purpose?

If you increase budget to 70k then prefer this PS51D550
I could have increased the budget but not 70k.... and I would prefer something in 42" only considering that it is the optimal size that can work well for me (considering the small room size)
Also, how much difference is there if I buy a Samsung Plasma and not LG or Panasonic. What I had found in HiFi forums was that people were really positive about Panasonic. Is it that big a difference?

I could have increased the budget but not 70k.... and I would prefer something in 42" only considering that it is the optimal size that can work well for me (considering the small room size)
Also, how much difference is there if I buy a Samsung Plasma and not LG or Panasonic. What I had found in HiFi forums was that people were really positive about Panasonic. Is it that big a difference?

HAHA well my friend panny has infinite black while the sammy has some beautiful color reproduction and flesh tones looks awesome while panny looks great as like viewing just like natural but as per my thoughts sammy is good enough for you while you are in budget.

But My sixth sense says don't go for the model you asked b'cos it's got only 1024*768 resolution pdp so no hd even though it accepts signal 1080p still you see 1024*768 res

My opinion is you go either for Samsung ps51d490 1366*768
While you should strecth ur budget it may cost you around 55 to 60k

Blacks on Panasonic are absolutely the best as compared to LG and Samsung but is costlier that those.

For PQ this is the order

Panasonic > Samsung > LG in my opinion ( I have a LG :))

Samsung is one Which for sure will playback MKV from HDD connected via USB. Not sure about Panny, My LG doesn't plays. Newer Models of 2011 could play those.

For a 50 Inch Plasma the optimal viewing distance is 6 to 7 feet in my experience. There are some online calculators for the same.

From what distance will you be viewing ?

Blacks on Panasonic are absolutely the best as compared to LG and Samsung but is costlier that those.

For PQ this is the order

Panasonic > Samsung > LG in my opinion ( I have a LG :))

Samsung is one Which for sure will playback MKV from HDD connected via USB. Not sure about Panny, My LG doesn't plays. Newer Models of 2011 could play those.

For a 50 Inch Plasma the optimal viewing distance is 6 to 7 feet in my experience. There are some online calculators for the same.

From what distance will you be viewing ?

Well the distance would be somewhere between 6-7 feet. I'd like to stick to 42" only, the reason being my acco place would keep on changing...so this number seems a safe bet... I don't wanna get stuck in a situation where I'm repenting buying a large sized screen and the room is small.
Or am I thinking in the wrong direction? :sad:
I checked out Samsung C450 at Vijay Sales yesterday. They were offering discount at 38k and Dish TV HD connection free....
Is this an offer worth going or there are better models as well?

Go for A Full HD Plasma rather than HD ready. The debate will continue whether for normal viewing 720P is almost same as 1080P but you will atleast be mentally satisfied.

If its always gonna be 6-7 feets go for full 50 Inch Full HD glory, My 50 inch now feels small but 60 inch was any way out of buget at 1.1 Lacks.

Go for Tata Sky HD or even Airtel HD, Skip Dish and get more discount of possible.

Check this from Amazon , there is also a table in middle.

Amazon.com: Samsung LN32C450 32-Inch 720p 60 Hz LCD HDTV (Black): Electronics

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/buyinguides/screen-size.jpg

With standard-definition TVs, the rule used to be that viewers would feel comfortable watching a set from a distance of 3 to 6 times the screen size in inches. With HDTV, the resolution is so much better that you can sit closer to a larger TV without noticing the pixels. So with HDTVs, the rule tends to be you can sit anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the screen size (in inches) for the best experience.

If you know the size of the room you have already, where you want to sit, and where your new HDTV should go once you get it, you can figure out the size HDTV you should get.

Minimum size = Viewing distance/3
Maximum size=Viewing distance/1.5

My recommendation is also the same. Go for full HD - but note that with your current watching habits HD-ready (1366x768) or Full-HD (1920x1080) will not matter much - at least not on 40~42". But you will be surprised how things change quickly.

I recommend Panasonic for plasma. If it is full HD you want, go for 42V20D (around 60K roughly). If you are OK with HD-Ready, go for 42X30D (around 38K).

50" is quite suitable for a viewing distance of 7' to 10'. But do not go for a 50" non full-HD. After all expesive TV is not something you buy every year.

Go for the P42V20. You will love the picture. I have it in my 10X10 bedroom and I watch the movies from my bed which will bring the viewing distance to 6-7 feet at the max. At that distance even 700 MB DVD rips look good in that TV. In fact most of the times I zoom the vides to "Zoom1" and watch them to get rid of the black bars. But it has its cons too, you won't be able to play many of the HD formats. You can play AVCHD, DivXHD. Other HD formats like MKV are not supported. So you would have to invest in a media player. Considering your budget @ 70K you can get P42V20+ WD Hub/Xtreamer Pro and njoy the movies :cool:.

Edit: Apologies, I mistook Abhis recommended budget increase to 70K as your budget. @ 45 K you can look out 40/42" LG lcds which will support most of the file formats out of the box. They will not have the PQ of the V20 but will be within your budget and at the same time support multiple formats. Currently P42V20 is available in the range of 57-59K depending on your bargaining skills, but it will be worth the money. Later you can get a media player which suits your needs and budget.

Last edited:
Lots of insight in the past few posts...
Considering the information that I have got, I have understood my requirements to a lot extent.
I will go for 46" Plasma...Either Panasonic or Samsung. The max I can stretch my budget would be 60k and would want all major file formats, at least the HD ones (mkv and all)... And above all Full HD so that I don't repent in the near future....
This is the most specific that I can get to my requirements...
Plz help. I'd love to be one of those who share their latest purchases on this forum.
What should I do?:)

Since you have graciously increased the budget to 60K, I will highly recommend Panasonic 42V20D. Bargain a lot. You may end up paying as low as 57K.

Last edited:
Guys,
Thanks a ton for all the information you gave and helped me in taking the decision. I would be going for Panasonic V20 42". :yahoo:
I went to the Panasonic showroom in Ahmedabad and the salesperson said the price would come out to be around 67k. I could see the V20 50" as they did not have a 42" for display. He said that I need to place an order for V20 42" a week in advance...
I checked some movie files on it. The avi files (non HD :) ) were a little blurred, but still were good enuf for me. It does not detect mkv files in the USB drive.
Another thing, it did not detect my 1 TB hard disc. Can anyone let me know what might be the reason? I would be storing all my movies and stuff on the same HD, so would require that.
Is there some way I can play mkv files through any other device connected to the TV?
My only requirements that are not fulfilled till now are
1. Playback of mkv and some other formats like rmvb
2. Can I connect my Macbook Pro 13" to the TV?

i would recommend a 42X20D for 32000(or bargain) [the tv doesnt have a USB at all] + excellent BluRay player(8-9K) - for that part i purchased a PS3 320GB(19K). all in budget best picture quality plus the money you saved is well spent.

Have look at this my friend Samsung PS42C450
It's a plasma and can be bought for exact 45k

I have this plasma since a few months so i can tell you a bit about it.
Plays all formats even from my 500gb hard drive.
SD PQ from tata sky is good.
HD quality from dvdrips movies is very good.
And HD quality from bluray rips is Excellent.

When i bought it i checked all plasmas from LG,Panasonic as well however this one was the best allrounder among all and pure Vfm and am glad i got it.

Take a movie in Usb with you and play it at the showroom and you can judge the PQ better then.

Guys,
Thanks a ton for all the information you gave and helped me in taking the decision. I would be going for Panasonic V20 42". :yahoo:
I went to the Panasonic showroom in Ahmedabad and the salesperson said the price would come out to be around 67k. I could see the V20 50" as they did not have a 42" for display. He said that I need to place an order for V20 42" a week in advance...
I checked some movie files on it. The avi files (non HD :) ) were a little blurred, but still were good enuf for me. It does not detect mkv files in the USB drive.
Another thing, it did not detect my 1 TB hard disc. Can anyone let me know what might be the reason? I would be storing all my movies and stuff on the same HD, so would require that.
Is there some way I can play mkv files through any other device connected to the TV?
My only requirements that are not fulfilled till now are
1. Playback of mkv and some other formats like rmvb
2. Can I connect my Macbook Pro 13" to the TV?
Plz help. I need to take a decision regarding the TV as well as a media player by the mid of next week. Will my requirements be met somehow if I buy a Panasonic V20 42"? I do not want to get stuck with a TV that does not meet these requirements. I checked out some Media Players but got really confused. I just want to play major file formats and connect my macbook pro to the TV for a bigger screen. Already have a WiFi setup and 1.5 TB external storage.
TIA.

If your TV is DLNA compatible you can install tversity software on your macbook pro and stream all the files , I think.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back