Plasma versus LCD televisions..

realactivex

Folks, I picked this up form theFAQ section of the panasonic website. Sorry not properly formatted.. You could refer to the original data at FAQ : Plasma & LCD TV | Support | Panasonic India

Hope this helps for people who are unsure about LCD or Plasma.
Regards

Question8. How do Plasma TV and LCD TV differs?Answer8. Since they use different methods to display images on the screen, they produce different results. Plasma TVs are best at producing powerful big-screen images with lots of impact, whereas LCD TVs are good at producing subtly modulated images in brightly lit rooms.

With their powerful Large-screen images, plasma TVs are ideal for the whole family to watch together. A wide variety of LCD TV models are available, perfect for personal viewing.
Large screen
Living Room
Family Viewing
Medium or Small Screen
Personal Viewing

In a plasma TV the panel itself emits light, so the entire screen produces bright images with deep, expressive blacks under typical living room lighting conditions. Dynamic sequences with lots of motion, such as sporting events or action movies, are rendered smoothly and fluidly. The wide viewing angle and powerful impact of plasma TVs makes them ideal for group viewing by the whole family together. In an LCD TV the screen is illuminated by a backlight. They are relatively unaffected by reflected glare and deliver bright, subtly modulated images even in brightly lit rooms or near windows through which the sun is shining. They are lightweight and can be moved about easily, which means they can be placed almost anywhere the user likes. LCD TVs in screen sizes of 32 inches or less are ideal for personal use and offer plenty of flexibility.
Plasma TV and LCD TV Comparison Table Plasma TV LCD TV
Screen size In screen sizes of 37 inches and up, ideal for group viewing by the entire family. In screen sizes of 32 inches and below, a variety of models are available for applications ranging from individual to family viewing.
Visibility EXCELLENT: Provides a bright picture for family viewing in the living room. EXCELLENT: Provides a sharp picture in brightly lighted locations.
Viewing angle EXCELLENT: The wide viewing angle means the picture is sharp even when viewed from the sides. Ideal for family viewing. GOOD: Best for personal viewing because the brightness varies when viewed from an angle, whether above, below or the left or right side.
Dynamic content performance EXCELLENT: Smooth, fluid reproduction of content with lots of motion, such as sporting events. GOOD: Some afterimages when viewing content containing extremely rapid movement.
Power consumption EXCELLENT: Low power consumption. Uses less power than a conventional CRT TV. EXCELLENT: Low power consumption. Uses less power than a conventional CRT TV.
Service life EXCELLENT: Panel service life of approximately 60,000 hours.(*1) EXCELLENT: Backlight service life of approximately 60,000 hours.(*2)

Number of hours until the panels brightness is reduced by half, based on operation in the standard mode with dynamic content. Does not take into consideration afterimages (burn-in) or malfunctions.
Backlight service life in standard mode.

Folks, I picked this up form theFAQ section of the panasonic website. Sorry not properly formatted.. You could refer to the original data at FAQ : Plasma & LCD TV | Support | Panasonic India

Hope this helps for people who are unsure about LCD or Plasma.
Regards

Question8. How do Plasma TV and LCD TV differs?Answer8. Since they use different methods to display images on the screen, they produce different results. Plasma TVs are best at producing powerful big-screen images with lots of impact, whereas LCD TVs are good at producing subtly modulated images in brightly lit rooms.

With their powerful Large-screen images, plasma TVs are ideal for the whole family to watch together. A wide variety of LCD TV models are available, perfect for personal viewing.
Large screen
Living Room
Family Viewing
Medium or Small Screen
Personal Viewing

In a plasma TV the panel itself emits light, so the entire screen produces bright images with deep, expressive blacks under typical living room lighting conditions. Dynamic sequences with lots of motion, such as sporting events or action movies, are rendered smoothly and fluidly. The wide viewing angle and powerful impact of plasma TVs makes them ideal for group viewing by the whole family together. In an LCD TV the screen is illuminated by a backlight. They are relatively unaffected by reflected glare and deliver bright, subtly modulated images even in brightly lit rooms or near windows through which the sun is shining. They are lightweight and can be moved about easily, which means they can be placed almost anywhere the user likes. LCD TVs in screen sizes of 32 inches or less are ideal for personal use and offer plenty of flexibility.
Plasma TV and LCD TV Comparison Table Plasma TV LCD TV
Screen size In screen sizes of 37 inches and up, ideal for group viewing by the entire family. In screen sizes of 32 inches and below, a variety of models are available for applications ranging from individual to family viewing.
Visibility EXCELLENT: Provides a bright picture for family viewing in the living room. EXCELLENT: Provides a sharp picture in brightly lighted locations.
Viewing angle EXCELLENT: The wide viewing angle means the picture is sharp even when viewed from the sides. Ideal for family viewing. GOOD: Best for personal viewing because the brightness varies when viewed from an angle, whether above, below or the left or right side.
Dynamic content performance EXCELLENT: Smooth, fluid reproduction of content with lots of motion, such as sporting events. GOOD: Some afterimages when viewing content containing extremely rapid movement.
Power consumption EXCELLENT: Low power consumption. Uses less power than a conventional CRT TV. EXCELLENT: Low power consumption. Uses less power than a conventional CRT TV.
Service life EXCELLENT: Panel service life of approximately 60,000 hours.(*1) EXCELLENT: Backlight service life of approximately 60,000 hours.(*2)

Number of hours until the panels brightness is reduced by half, based on operation in the standard mode with dynamic content. Does not take into consideration afterimages (burn-in) or malfunctions.
Backlight service life in standard mode.

well never trust what is said by manufactures,it may be a bit biased towards one technology or with refrenece to their products.panasonic plasmas sell more then their lcds,they have been also been compelled to launch campaigns of plasmas advantages and lcd disadvantages,since lcds sales are increasing in very segment,even in the 50inch segment plasmas or slowly loosing the VFM advantages,vizio a strong market leader in the US is launching LED lcds for the same price as a panasonic plasma.panasonic lcds sales are behind (vizioin US),samsung,sony,lg,sharp(world wide).on the other hand they are No1 in sales in plasmas,so its natural for them to a bit biased towards plasma.

Last edited:
This issue has been discussed and beaten to death for about 7-8 years all around the world. Google it or read it up on the forum before starting a new thread.

Plasma

The term plasma is in the electronics means of electricity illumination of a gas. The plasma technique is similar to the operation of a neon lamp. A plasma screen is in fact nothing else than two plates separated by between 500,000 and 1,000,000 mini fluorescent tube, of course depending on the size of the screen. The fluorescent tubes are the actual plasma cells and are filled with gas mixture of Neon and Xenon. The individual cells together forms picture on the screen. The first 100-200 hrs of plasma is critical..it decides the future of the display. Therefore make appropriate calibration during the initial stages...

LCD

The TFT (Thin Film Transistor) screen is a matrix of cells that contain liquid crystal molecules, cells with three red, green and blue forms a pixel. Behind this screen is a background lighting . By applying electric current the liquid crystals change their orientation. Depending on the orientation, "or they block the light of the background lighting, creating a visible light is emitted.

You know what, these are not new and already outdated...There are new technologies that are coming for eg.. OLED,SXRD,D-ILA and TDEL

Plasma

You know what, these are not new and already outdated...There are new technologies that are coming for eg.. OLED,SXRD,D-ILA and TDEL

SXRD & D-ILA ,IMHO are used in Projectors & Rear Projection TVS ....anyway the hardwarec is available....mainly in US......
Any example of XRCD & D-ILA being used in Thin flat pannl?

Sony has dropped the development of SXRD based televisions that means they're not outdated they're just concentrating on OLED and LCD business now...Like they stripped the UMD from PSP....

Last edited:
SXRD & D-ILA ,IMHO are used in Projectors & Rear Projection TVS ....anyway the hardwarec is available....mainly in US......
Any example of XRCD & D-ILA being used in Thin flat pannl?

Linethu
1) JVC news is 2 years old
2) SXRD & D-ILA TVs are Rear Projection TVS - I think you are not familier with th concept,it is big boxy cabinet where image is projected by a projector....I've yet to come to a RP TV which can be hung on the wall...

RP was extrealy popular in US as home is bigger there...still it is beingmanufactured and JVC ,Mitsubishi's sites still showing some models..

Read JVC news you have given "n D-ILA products, the company this month will begin selling the first of two new shallow-cabinet projection high definition televisions in its HD-ILA series."

Anyway both the technologies cannot be called new - as hardware is available - I was wondering if these technologies being used in Plasma-LCD like pannels.....

In fact when 60" LCD prices will become competitive these technologies will die it's natural death..:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Sony has dropped the development of SXRD based televisions that means they're not outdated they're just concentrating on OLED and LCD business now...Like they stripped the UMD from PSP....

well the SXRD isn't going to be the future IMO,since its is bulky and it ain't a flat panel,with consumers going for thinner and thinner tvs.
u must also understand that there are many other technolgies outhere but u just can't manfacture different tv with different technolgies,its not going to be cost effective,sony had to drop the FED display tech in favour of the OLED.from what i see lcd are getting better and better by the time OLED come into play in the consumer market,lcds will be very advanced and the prices are to be realy cheap.so it will take a while for OLED to replace lcds completly which i dont think will happen for a long time.

Technologies cannot be instantly used soon after invention they need lots of improvements...In fact the LCD was invented in 1960..

The very concept of liquid crystals - substances that have properties of both liquids and solids - was discovered by Austrian botanist Reynittser back in 1888.... However, the world did not recognize the Austrian scientist's revolutionary discovery, because it contradicts the basic postulate that a substance can only be in three states.

First device invented after this discovery took nearly 80 years. Only in 1968, American scientists have managed to create the world's first system to display information based on liquid crystals.Their action is based on the ability of liquid crystals under the action of an electric field to change its orientation in space and, thus, in many ways reflect and pass light passing through them. Thus, when placing a thin (0.01 mm) layer of liquid crystal between the polarizing filters, you can get a kind of electric light switch... which is turning around, it will either delay or skip.... Each pixel of normal LCD panel consists of three sub-pixels red, green or blue, depending on the angle of rotation of crystal, it passes through a certain amount of light.As a result, each sub pixel gives exactly the same number of colors, thereby forming a color image..

If the JVC's news is old .... Then the LCDs which you're using now is 60 years old.... JVC is developing this display for the future...and not for today....

Last edited:
well i am aware of lcd tech and how old is it.but in todays world cost is a major factor,even if some tech may be better,unless it is cost effective it wont sell.yes some tech will take quite a lot of time for it two advance and be cost effective,but there is always another tech which tends to be better and may be cheaper around the corner.but right now we are talking about the next tech that will replace the lcd and plasma which majority of the current tv manfactures are behind,which is OLED which is already made its way in mobiles phones and other devices,not to mention the sonys XEL 1.

OLED is probably going to be the future. It is not that there are no other technologies, but in terms of pure performance I am unaware of anything that can rival OLED that looks feasible for production in the near future.

I am asking again ---- SXRD,D-ILA is a projection technology---and usd in RP TV which was NEVER significant for india---so any example where this 2 technologies are used in thin wall hagnable cabinet?

Anyway what I read about RPTV is that biggest one is 110 Inches ( BY JVC and their US site is not showing any RP -they use D-ILA Technology for projectors), whereas commercially LCD ( Sharp) and plasmas are available in nearby sizes, so in the futures prices of LCD's and plasmas will fail and there is always size advantae ---so frankly there is no reason RPTV will survive...

We cannot compare Plasma & LCD vs projectors Vs RP Tv these are different class....I still agree if you have space and dark room projector gives best Size vs price ratio!!Prices apart it is like convenincing a probable superbike owner merits of car!

Again same question - SXRD,D-ILA Based thin ,wall hangable displays ---any show examples if not commercial one?

Anyway I know technology takes a long time to commercially available --for last 25 years I am waiting for
1) Cheap space travel:rolleyes::rolleyes:
2) Nuclear powered cars & Gadgets:D:D
3) Wearable Air Conditioning :):)
4) Super Condenced Liquor! - you need to just put 1 drop in 60 ml water to make 1 peg!:clapping::clapping:

Anyway I fabricated the last one but about rest of the things I read about ( last one is my idea-I had this when I saw Amway demo-put 1 drop of liquid soap!)

Anyway I know technology takes a long time to commercially available --for last 25 years I am waiting for
1) Cheap space travel:rolleyes::rolleyes:
2) Nuclear powered cars & Gadgets:D:D
3) Wearable Air Conditioning :):)
4) Super Condenced Liquor! - you need to just put 1 drop in 60 ml water to make 1 peg!:clapping::clapping:

Anyway I fabricated the last one but about rest of the things I read about ( )

when they do come,then u will want tele transport like in star trek,or space travel as fast as light or faster,etc. the thing is humans(me,you ,and some 99.999% of the world) are never happy with what they have and are always greedy for more.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back