Player or Transport - a question of clock synchronization

AKT

Hello FMs,

In the absence of an external clock; don't you think a player would always be better than a transport?
My hypothesis is that in a player both the DAC and the transport would share the same clock.

Regards.

True.

But with separates, usually far more money is committed into the DAC to obtain a far superior DAC than what is built into the integrated CD Player.

But, yes, i agree with you....
A CD player with USB input will generally sound superior spinning CDs rather than playing a computer via its USB input

Hello FMs,

In the absence of an external clock; don't you think a player would always be better than a transport?
My hypothesis is that in a player both the DAC and the transport would share the same clock.

Regards.
I do have the same thought. CD player with its built in dac can avoid digital transport dependency and challenges related to it.

CDP with good dac is always high-end stuf, like Marantz SA10, Denon DCD A110 and above.

True.

But with separates, usually far more money is committed into the DAC to obtain a far superior DAC than what is built into the integrated CD Player.

But, yes, i agree with you....
A CD player with USB input will generally sound superior spinning CDs rather than playing a computer via its USB input
How about a CD player built into a laptop?

I suspect it would be the Worst of All options!

1. Extremely Noisy computer environment in close proximity to the CD drive.

2. Relatively less robust CD drive mechanism (due to space & weight constraints)

3. Poor DAC on laptop motherboard.... Dragonfly DACs attempt to remidy this with external USB DACs.

My opinion is that in the case of trasnport the signal is being reclocked in the much superior and dedicated external DAC and this makes the trasnpirt and dac to operate in the clock frequency. This IMHO results in better sound.

I have Marantz SA10 and use it as transport to feed to the Adagio. I will post my experience in the evening.

My opinion is that in the case of trasnport the signal is being reclocked in the much superior and dedicated external DAC and this makes the trasnpirt and dac to operate in the clock frequency. This IMHO results in better sound.

I have Marantz SA10 and use it as transport to feed to the Adagio. I will post my experience in the evening.
absolutely right. recently i auditioned an chinese brand lite audio cd transport with i2s and connected to holo audio ddc and dac. results are stunning resolution and musicality.so any time transport is better than a dedicated cd player if properly configured and well designed

if any one can source try to get this lite audio cd transport from us audiomart selling for around 800$. its very good and the laser pickup is also easily available. and it has i2s out which is pretty good to use with latest dacs. even their matching lite audio dac is also fantastic .but now the used price is sky high price.so make a try if some one can taste the sound

no sacd only acd. i think sacd cant output as per my knowledget in digital domain

So to have SACD playback only built in dac is the only option. The refinement between CD and SACD is also significant.

Hello FMs,

Regards.
Ofcourse transport will be better than player, transport +Dac combination is awesome

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back